• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two rabbits died and one is left alone ... Help !!

Shanell

New Kit
Hello! I used to have three female rabbits all spayed jersey, coco and star. Last week Thursday jersey died at the vets as you was getting treatment and two days later coco died. She was dying at home and star saw a bit of that but we quickly got coco do the vet to put her down as we didn't want her to suffer any longer, They both had a genetic illness that eventually was triggered by stress. They all have been together for four years. Star is the only one that's left now And she's very depressed. She's alone in her hutch outside and we give her lot of attention. I found out that you should leave the dead bodies in the hutch for a while but after asking the vet they said that that's not required. It seemed as they didn't hear of anything like that. The vet we go to is in pets at home, companion care vets. They r very good. After cocos death they examined why she died as it was so sudden and found out that her intestines were hardening and that caused the shut down of her digestive system, it's been two days after cocos death and star Is all alone. She eats a bit of hay and grass and pooped and urinated a little. She's active and runs up the stairs ( two level hutch). She's alert when we come and say hi. She grooms herself as well. She's on medication which we give her twice a day. We have yo syringe feed her as she isn't eating much. She is very sad and we can see that when she gives u the sad look. I suppose she doesn't know what happened to jersey. But maybe she knows about coco ? But I don't know. She's also been getting probiotics to help her good bacteria. I can't see her like anymore and I'm scared for her as she hasn't been doing much. I understand she's grieving and alone. So today which is two days after cocos death and approx five days after jerseys death I really want to get her a male neutered rabbit. A mature one as star is 4 years old. I'm thinking that a loving male will encourage her to eat and move on. I know the introduction is gonna be a very important process. Do u think it's ok to get her her male now and introduce slowly. Perhaps she'll get less depressed. Star has only been the smallest one out of the three and the youngest. She doenst know what it is like to be alone apart from when she got spayed .

I would really appreciate a quick reply from you thank you

Hi. So sorry that you lost jersey and coco. I would certainly look for a neutered male companion for her. Many rescues will help with the bonding too. Poor little love. It must be so hard for her being on her own ... I know people have had sucess with giving their rabbits soft toys to cuddle up to (bunny safe, with no removable eyes, etc). This may be something you could do while you search for a mate for her.

I'm so sorry you lost Coco and Jersey, that is so sad. And I know how much you worry about the bereaved bun being sad and lonely, I lost my bun, also called Coco, back in July. I do think the soft toy is worth a try, some buns on here find comfort this way. But I would recommend getting a new rescue bun pal, there is no right or wrong length of time to wait, if you think your Star is lonely do it sooner rather than later. Maybe you have already? Let us know how you get on.

I'm so sorry you lost your bunnies. Sometimes we have to put our own feelings aside and do what is best for our rabbits. I got my bun a friend after 2 weeks. It was too soon for me but my bunny Will who had lost his sister poppy needed a friend. If you search for rescues near to you for a new bunny I am sure they can either do,or advise on the bonding for you. Let us know how you get on.

I agree with all the replies you have had so far both from their personal experiences and my own. My little bunny Frankie lost his dear hunbun, Estelle a couple of months ago. He did see her body for a few minutes and then hopped off to go and eat. Over the following few days he seemed to act perfectly normal, but then the reality of his loss hit home. He became somewhat quiet and withdrawn. Then a few days later he slowly perked up and back to his usual self.

Now, two months on, Frankie has a new ...very large hunbun and is loving life once again.

Hopefully your bunny will find love soon.

I'm sure that life will be perfect once again.

Back