• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Better off alone? :\

Fennic

Warren Scout
I guess i'll start with a bit of a background on her.

She originally came to us from a neighbor a a single rabbit apparently having her partner took off her when somebody moved and left her with the neighbor I was given her from. In which they claimed "had no ears" she was left in a hutch for I don't know how long, unspayed, nails wasn't clipped (they honestly looked like fingers they were that bad) and unvaccinated. She still has quite an "attitude" today after being spayed (over a year ago), biting you if she doesn't like something like being held for too long or the likes.

She had been bonded prior to a buck whom we lost sometime around march or so which we managed to bond after months of trying with her. She was with him for about 6 months or so.

We've tried several times with bonding her with a buck and a doe (all spayed/neutered) but she does consistently go after the other doe and sometimes the buck once they're not eating with each other. I cannot afford 4 rabbits to get her a lone buck, but she does have me in plain sight almost 24/7 (jobless and I don't go out so i'm not using it as a figure of speech) She does seem quite happy in herself but of course, I can't speak on behalf of her emotions. Do you think I should continue trying with the current pair? I'm worried she may do some actual damage if not grabbed in time. Shes had the poor doe scream before now but no blood has been drawn only my own when picking her up from the doe I believe it was more of a frightened scream than pain never less it stopped me from wanting to continue bonding them after it.

No advise. Just wanted to say it must be a real quqandry for you. I know that noise when another bun is so frightened it sends shivers down your spine doesn`t it? I think you have to have nerves of steel when bonding buns. I know I tried to bond a rescue doe with my very docile buck I owned in the past and it was a definate no no. She was later rehomed with another doe and is still living happily in that home. I later found a younger doe who bonded so easily with the boy. I think like us they don`t get along with everyone they meet. (I know I don`t).

Have you thought about seeing if a rescue could bond for you? Sometimes when bonding at home its harder because everything smells like territory and also, we as worried bunny parents don't help! Might be worth a try.

Personally I think even some grumpy bunnies do like company once they get it, so its worth a shot :)

I don't really know of any rescues in the area (Cheshire) not to mention i've got no real transport or not a ton of money to spare towards donating to the rescue for the help i'm afraid. I had been thinking she is being territorial as when there was only 1 rabbit she didn't feel the need to drop her poo scattered everywhere now shes began doing this again, oddly though she did it when we had her partner with her.

I think it is important to remember that 'in general' most bunnies are happy with a partner, but some bunnies really are happier by themselves for various reasons. I have 2 bonded pairs of house bunnies, and a single bunny who hates other bunnies so much that I have no doubt he would kill another bunny if given the chance, and I'm not prepared to let that happen. In the past I admit to letting people convince me that he MUST have a companion, which resulted in him spending 5 months hid up in the darkest corner of his hutch, attacking the other bunny, attacking people, not taking food from anyone, not eating in front of anyone, and to be honest, if he absolutely had to be kept like that, I think it would have been kinder to pts.

Now though living as a single house bunny, and free-ranging all night when the other bunnies are in their rooms, he is a completely reformed little guy :D Incredibly happy, binkys like mad, sits on the window sill watching the world go by, is the most playful bunny by far with his toys, rushes up to me for his food, and takes food from me, and even enjoys being cuddled most days now, and yet he has no companion.

Sometimes I think we need to look at each individual bunny and do what is best for them and what will make them happy, and it isn't always what the norm is or what we think it should be. You could send your bun away to be bonded as mine was because of what people advised and insisted what was best for him, and they came back and he tolerated her for about 3 weeks, and then attacked her so badly, she needed 17 stitches to put her back together again. Maybe it wouldn't be fair on your bun or the bun that might become a partner, to put that one at risk as well. Rabbits can be really happy on their own as well, as long as they have lots to keep them occupied and lots of interaction with their carer.

Agree with RR. It sounds as if your rabbit would be better as a single bun. I wouldn't try bonding her with the other 2 anymore as the stress could make the bonded doe ill.

I think it is important to remember that 'in general' most bunnies are happy with a partner, but some bunnies really are happier by themselves for various reasons. I have 2 bonded pairs of house bunnies, and a single bunny who hates other bunnies so much that I have no doubt he would kill another bunny if given the chance, and I'm not prepared to let that happen. In the past I admit to letting people convince me that he MUST have a companion, which resulted in him spending 5 months hid up in the darkest corner of his hutch, attacking the other bunny, attacking people, not taking food from anyone, not eating in front of anyone, and to be honest, if he absolutely had to be kept like that, I think it would have been kinder to pts.

Now though living as a single house bunny, and free-ranging all night when the other bunnies are in their rooms, he is a completely reformed little guy :D Incredibly happy, binkys like mad, sits on the window sill watching the world go by, is the most playful bunny by far with his toys, rushes up to me for his food, and takes food from me, and even enjoys being cuddled most days now, and yet he has no companion.

Sometimes I think we need to look at each individual bunny and do what is best for them and what will make them happy, and it isn't always what the norm is or what we think it should be. You could send your bun away to be bonded as mine was because of what people advised and insisted what was best for him, and they came back and he tolerated her for about 3 weeks, and then attacked her so badly, she needed 17 stitches to put her back together again. Maybe it wouldn't be fair on your bun or the bun that might become a partner, to put that one at risk as well. Rabbits can be really happy on their own as well, as long as they have lots to keep them occupied and lots of interaction with their carer.

This.

I've been in the same situation where I took a "killer" bun in as he couldn't be bonded. Knowing him (frenchie) as I did as my dopey house bun, one would have thought they were lying (had I not seen the damage he had caused to his wife - leg amputation :( )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies guys, it's extremely helpful. I felt like it was just me being I don't know, daft or wussy not wanting to continue bonding after that scream. As far as she's not done to other rabbits, I wouldn't be suprised if she would draw blood or potentially damage them if left to her own devices. I was thinking about her a bit more, she used to mount her partner (often but not so much as daily) shes "that" insistent in being in charge it took her a full year to even begin licking me, even then it's only on clothing and not skin. She would never groom him much as far as I remember.

Edit: The other doe in question who is bonded is quite the happy girl, but also seems quite dominant, she doesn't seem to groom the buck much but she does groom me a fair bit. Not quite sure why this is. The buck will groom everyone and everything he's quite timid but lovely. I'm hoping he will come out of his shell, he won't even walk 1/2 across the kitchen let alone switch rooms, he needs to be lifted into each room and will sit on your feet if he's not sure about something or hide under the kitchen stool which appears to be his safe-haven.

Last edited:

I agree with this.

Back