• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Socks won't come out. Advice please?

Lemonade

Warren Scout
She's always been shy because of her background. The bonding went great and the girls have now been in the hutch together for a week with no hiccups.

Went to put them out in the run yesterday and Socks wouldn't get in the carrier to be put in the run. After some time and effort trying not to stress her out, we got her out and they had a good run about. Getting her back in was hard work.

Today, she won't get in the carrier again. Satisfied she had a good run yesterday, I'm not going to force her today but worried about how it's going to go. She doesn't even follow Toffee into the carrier who hops in and out no questions asked.

I've put the carrier in the bottom of the hutch in the hope she'll get used to it. Is this the right thing to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think leaving the carrier in the hutch is a good idea. maybe try putting some treats inside it too.

The other option is something like a runaround kit. So she can choose when to go in and out of the run herself.

Had thought of this but the run is a fair way away from the hutch... I also know we have foxes in the garden and get worried about these things.

If you have foxes coming into the garden, this could affect the behaviour of your rabbits. They will know there is a predator closeby.

Hiya :wave: just a thought, I don't know what your set looks like etc, but any way the run could be attached to the hutch? This way, you wouldn't need to transport bunnies in the carrier? Saves you the runaround too. ;)

Afraid not :(

The carrier is in the hutch anyway, will see if that makes a difference tomorrow.

Otherwise, will have to come up with a plan B...

I would not just have your rabbits in a hutch for the most part. Even a large hutch is not really big enough to let them really express their natural behaviours.

Can you not put their run and hutch on concrete? Is their hutch and run secure enough? If you are worried about foxes, you can take steps to fox proof your set-up, even with 24hr access to a run. Practically everyone with outdoor buns will have foxes in the garden at one point or another. It's just about making sure they cannot hurt or scare the bunnies.

The carrier is a problem for me too, even putting the carrier in the room with the door open, doesn't work. They know when I'm going to "put" them in the carrier and immediately run off under my bed where I can't reach. :roll: I just have to chase them out and grab them, it's not nice and it's stressful for them, so I rarely use my carrier. I much prefer to pick them up myself, although they dislike this too. :roll:

As a general rule, they're only in the hutch over night. I'm in most of the day everyday. When I'm home, they're out in the run with a hideaway box filled with hay for shelter/warmth.

I have a double story hutch and a single story run. Don't see how I would be able to join the two without buying another type of setup.

Back