• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rebonding after illness

Tidgy

Warren Scout
So today i thought i would try and reintroduce Peanut to Fudge and Fluff. Fudge and Peanut have always had a tense relationship, which has involved a bit of chasing.
I put all three in the bath this morning and they were watched over by the OH and my daughter while i scrubbed the playhouse out. I threw out all toys and changed the layout so it was all new to them.

In the bath Fudge was docile and calm, snuggling up to Peanut. Fluff just ate :roll: Fudge seemed to really make an effort and was licking Peanut several times. Fudges head went down, but Peanut just ignored him. In fact when i encouraged Peanut to move he went to the other end of the bath and began thumping.
We left them for longer and again Fudge tried to cuddle Peanut. Fluff flopped down next to them both and Peanut was just sitting there. There was no fighting or anything so i decided to put them into the playhouse, larger space to see how it went.

Once in the playhouse, Peanut ran up to the top shelf to sit by the window. When Fudge approached him Peanut legged it. Fudge went after him but the chase ended without any nipping. Fluff was exploring while that happened, but then did go up to Peanut and licked him nicely.

Peanut is still sat in the same place, not interacting. Not mooching, not anything :( I know they are not fighting, but does Peanut's disinterest in the other two mean he really doesn't want to be there?

Hi there,
It's probably too early to tell, they may just need a couple of days to settle in and get used to each other again. Good luck, i hope it goes well. It's so stressful isn't it, but i try to remember that it's probably more stressful on us, that it is for the buns. Peanut may be just chilling out, or need a nap, and that's why he looks disinterested.

Well that hasn't worked.
Peanut just sat in the corner, not moving then Fudge started lunging into Peanut's side and nipping at him. Peanut just sat there :( so i've taken Peanut out and put him in the old hutch.

The only other thing I could suggest is to reduce their space right down, this sometimes helps with bonding. Either cordon off part of the playhouse, or bring them in the house and cordon off a corner of the kitchen or something. Some nipping is not unusual, but I know it is scary to watch. As long as no bun is getting hurt, or bitten, it's just their way of establishing who's top bun.
I do also think that you have to follow your gut instinct too though. Do you think it's worth another try?

Thanks Karen. The three of them were in the bath for well over an hour. Peanut didn't attempt to lick any of them, never responded to the others hugs or affection, he just sat there. As there was no fighting and they seemed ok sat together i thought i'd try putting them in the playhouse, but that just made it worse.

Peanut has always been the gooseberry of the three. I posted a thread about my concerns when i first joined this forum. We just couldn't decide what to do, whether to separate them into two hutches or build a playhouse. We got the playhouse in the end thinking that the larger space would make things more comfortable for them. They moved in a couple of weeks ago. Then Peanut fell ill Thursday night. He sat in the corner, not eating, much like he was when i put them all back in there yesterday. It seems he really isn't happy with Fudge and Fluff and i'm wondering if that is what made him ill in the first place?

Maybe the change of housing has upset the hierarchy too. I really don't know enough about bunny behavior, but my gut instinct says enough is enough even though i am upset about it.:cry:

Hi, I had the same problem introducing my two back together after Daisy had a hip operation and they were separated for a week and a half. We started in the kitchen where the hey got on just fine, lots of grooming and lying next to each other. They were as happy as Larry. We left them for about 4 hours and there was no problems, so we thought we'd try them in the run, which we had cleaned. Once In the run, all hell broke out between them with Pip chasing and fighting Daisy. I managed do get in between them and separate them before any harm was done. Over the next few days, we put them in together in the kitchen for 2 hours at a time and whilst in there they were best of friends. We then moved the pen into the run and we would put Daisy in the pen with Pip having the run and hutch one day/night and then swap them over the next day/night. We did this for three days and that's when I found that they had chewed through the fabric pen and were both lying down together in the pen. Good luck with getting the bunnies back together.

I really am not sure if i should give it another go, given the history of their relationship.

The alternative is getting Peanut a girlfriend, but will adding a female bunny to the garden (hutches 6 foot apart) cause trouble? Will the boys across the way get set off by her scent? Are there risks to this?

If you can get Peanut a girlfriend I think that would be brilliant. :thumb: As you say, if he has always been the odd one out, maybe three's a crowd. Sounds like he would be much happier with a girly bun of his own.
There is a slight risk of referred aggression with the existing pair bringing in a new bun, but I've never found it a problem, my two pairs runs are only 4 feet apart at the nearest point and over time I've had new buns here and there for one reason and another, and all has been fine.
Ooh how exciting... A new bunny! ... Sorry I'm getting a bit carried away :lol:

Back