• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding has begun. Six rabbits. Pics page 2 post 19 - update; now a quad. More pics!

tulsi

Wise Old Thumper
So we put the six in together. They all immediately began to investigate each other. Frosty kept going up to Snowflake (who went low). Snowflake Tessie and Daisy all shared a litter tray (there are six trays). Frosty has fought with Mottle, Daisy and Peaches. Frosty has claimed a tray so has Mottle. Peaches Snowflake and Tessie are in a small pink tray with Daisy just outside it.

Peaches and Daisy have fought a bit.

Each fight I gently tell them to stop and either put hands between them or (in the case of Mottle and Frosty) haul them apart!

It is easy for me to see a fight brewing. I have a piece of board ready which has been used to gently keep them apart when scuffles brew.

Frosty is lying on his side, one ear up.

Mottle is in the loaf pose (ears down, being a lop)!

All of them are quivering. Snowflake, Peaches, Tessie and Daisy are all very alert. Me too...

I wonder if they will be ok in the end. Will Frosty accept Mottle and visa versa?

TIME will tell stress stress.

Daisy has hopped all around and eaten. Mottle is digging and eating now. Everyone else is stock still.

Last edited:
Me too!!! Frosty and Mottle keep fighting but are easily stopped and dont immediately go back for more ...

It would just be sooooo awesome for them all to have the shed and run combo. 20 x 6 run attached to a 10 x 6 shed (will keep one 10 x 6 hutch and run spare in case of future fall outs).

Frosty seems to be mr head honcho ...

I can read them atm (3 of them are mainly stock still mind you) but after a few days (and nights) I will probably be a wreck.

Last edited:
They are in a puppy panel run which is six by two and can all get away from each other, but there are no hiding places. I do hope they will be ok worry ...

Thankyou. It is very exciting and nervous making all at once. Its very nice having a response to my ramblings. Thanks.

Good luck :D for my bonding kit I had gardening gloves for breaking up any fights, never needed them :D and some wine. ( for me not the buns :lol:) I didn't use litter trays, just covered the bottom of the dog crate with newspaper, and a load of hay, so if they start getting territorial over trays you could try without

I did think of removing trays. Frosty has now gone in with the two gentle buns, Snowflake and Tessie and has been lying on them, grooming them and humping them!!!

Mottle and Peaches just went in to the same litter tray together, Frosty noted that and jumped in. They LEAPT out!!! Frosty is a moo.

Frosty and Mottle keep fighting round and round but if I put a hand gently on M it all calms down and they stop. No real nastyness. Spose F just wants to be boss.

Oh wow that sounds awesome!

If it works we need pics, but in the meantime ill wish you the very best of luck! :wave:

Thanks. My tablet (picture taker) is down stairs and I dare not leave them yet! (Did manage a wee earlier, thank God that the bathroom is right next to my bedroom).

Mottle and Frosty kept fighting. They would usually separate themselves without me touching them, just talking could calm them but Mottle was stressed and Peaches was always alone in her tray, leaping away whenever the others came near (unless it was Snowflake).

Mottle and Peaches are now in the little emergency cage I had in here 'just in case'. Mottle had a long drink of water and they have both cheered up immensley.

Frosty immediately chased Tessie, but all in all the four of them seem fine. Just hope he doesnt pick on Snowflake.

Fingers crossed for a stress free bond! If there is such a thing! I've had a glass of wine in support or you, I hope it helps :lol:

:shock: Just seen this. Sending tons and tons and tons of bonding vibes.

What if you put Mottle and Frosty in the small cage so that they can "deal" with each other? Risky, I know, but you would be on stand by to separate any really nasty fighting. I really don't know if this would make things worse, however, but it's just a suggestion lol.

Shadowfax was the same as poor Peaches, fortunately she calmed down after a few hours. I think it will take much longer for your lot to calm down because they all have to sort things out. Personally, I'd take out some litter trays. I found that when I had 2 trays in the pen with my 3, that they chased more...I have NO idea why. :lol: It also forced them to eat together...this let Shadowfax see that Xena wouldn't ALWAYS go for her.

:shock: Just seen this. Sending tons and tons and tons of bonding vibes.

What if you put Mottle and Frosty in the small cage so that they can "deal" with each other? Risky, I know, but you would be on stand by to separate any really nasty fighting. I really don't know if this would make things worse, however, but it's just a suggestion lol.

Shadowfax was the same as poor Peaches, fortunately she calmed down after a few hours. I think it will take much longer for your lot to calm down because they all have to sort things out. Personally, I'd take out some litter trays. I found that when I had 2 trays in the pen with my 3, that they chased more...I have NO idea why. :lol: It also forced them to eat together...this let Shadowfax see that Xena wouldn't ALWAYS go for her.

I felt that Frosty and Mottle's fighting was too full on to put them in the small cage. Mottle was very defensive with every one and his relief when I took him out was sooo clear. He flopped straight away. I took him and Peaches back to their hutch and run (temp cage way too small). So its a quad now. Snowflake thumps a lot but there isnt any chasing. Tessie and Daisy have been sitting together and so have Frosty and Snowflake. I am knackered - they are all munching away now. Will reduce the litter trays if there is any trouble. Glad you managed to stick it out with your lot.

Hope I didnt give up too soon with Mottle and Peaches ...

Wow, my hat is off to you! How exhausted you must be. Love that your keeping a positive attitude throughout it all too :wave: I'll look forward to reading more updates :)

Just seen your update. To be honest if there had been any fighting with mine I'd have probably done the same, fortunately I only had chasing from Dandy, chasing mainly Ginger, whilst Apricot and Beano shrank into a corner to stay out of it. Dandy nipped at Ginger a couple of times but was just fur pulling. Even the chasing part stressed me, but I left them to it as they didn't seem stressed, and it didn't last long. Hope you've managed to get some sleep, and that things have remained calm since you made it a quad xx

Took Mottle and Peaches out to their hutch/run at 3.30am!!! (They had started to fight in the teeny indoor cage). They are fine today.

As for the quad. There was a fair bit of chasing but very little thumping and no fighting.

This is them at brekky time this morning (late brekky)

Harvest from above - her brekky time too

Harvest 'can I come out to play, please'?

Note how Harvest has managed to chew her wood despite mesh on the inside.

So. They are all lying down near each other. Tessie and Daisy are all cuddled up F and S are separate both in the loaf position and looking at each other.

I am somewhat tired.

Last edited:
Wow. I hope all goes well. I would love to have one big shed/run with a big group of buns in. In the future that's what I would really like to do. Glad you managed a wee! :lol:

Back