• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding pair or quad. Thoughts please.

tulsi

Wise Old Thumper
I am lucky enough to have a rabbit arriving from honeybunnies rescue tomorrow as a companion for my recently bereved buck Snowflake.

I already have a pair of indoor rabbits, Loganberry and Moondust. They are young and in love and been together about 3 years. Tried to bond them with my quad of outdoor rabbits but it didnt work out (Frosty from quad and Loganberry did not get on).

Since them Frosty has been bullying his brother Snowflake so I split the quad. Frosty with Daisy and Snowflake with Tessie. Tessie was pts recently hence new rabbit.

Snowflake is 8 years old and new rabbit a similar age.

My question is would it be best to bond Snowflake and new rabbit or to try for a quad with Loganberry and Moondust?

A quad would mean that Snowflake could be indoors which he used to love as a youngster and then all four could go into the shed/aviary where Snowfers is now come the Summer.

Snowflake is a submissive rabbit. Opinions welcome!

I'd try for a quad partly because it is so much easier to keep an eye on bunnies' health when they are indoors. My two are outside and I know when I had indoor buns, because I saw them so much more I was able to pick up any 'differences' before they became a problem. Also it would mean Snowflake could come inside which you said he loves. I think it would make bonding easier too. I know that trying to bond rabbits in the winter if they are to live outside is a nightmare because of the differences in temperature.

It would also mean that if one of your four were to go to the Bridge you didn't have the pressure to find a companion for the bun that was bereaved.

I know there are lots of reasons to stick to two pairs as well - less stress for the new bun and no risk of breaking the bond with Loganberry and Moondust.

I only have two buns now but remember when I had a group of six. It was rather lovely watching them interacting :love:

Thank you so much for your response Rhianna. I do love the idea of a quad and agree that it is so much easier to keep on top of any changes.

Moondust liked Snowflake last time I tried a bond (of all six).

Whatever I do decide wont be rushed into. Will be bringing Snowflake indoors tomorrow to help him aclimatise to a new environment before having to deal with new rabbit or rabbits.

I love bonding but goodness me it is stressful and it hasnt even started yet!

I don’t have any advice but a quad would be a dream if it’s practical! Good luck with whatever you decide. I’m sure you will get a feeling when new bun is here :love:

As you probably know I like my pairs and the only groups I have had were family. I think if they were all young then you would have a chance of success with a quad but as 2 of them, one being a new Rabbit, are older then I wouldn't try it as it might be overwhelming for her.

As you probably know I like my pairs and the only groups I have had were family. I think if they were all young then you would have a chance of success with a quad but as 2 of them, one being a new Rabbit, are older then I wouldn't try it as it might be overwhelming for her.

I agree

I love this forum. Thank you all so much. I think the quad idea was more about me than them. It would be so lovely to have them all indoors for the winter. I will go with just Snowflake and new rabbit.

Snowflake is now indoors and doesnt seem too fazed.

What a process.

Back