• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hutch or rabbit shelter to go in shed?

nori

Young Bun
Hi all, I need you to help me make a decision. I would like either a hutch or rabbit shelter to go in the shed (open of course) so i can pop lots of nice bedding and straw etc in there for the winter. My rabbits currently have a piece of carpet with a half eaten box under a table as shelter and a plastic shelter which they wont go in atall.

So would you go for a shelter like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMALL-ANI...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item33847074e1

OR a bog standard hutch? If a hutch, where is the best place to get one. It doesn't have to be great as its in the shed anyway and only really for them to snuggle in. I dont fancy a secondhand one as surely it would have rabbit wee in it?

On a different note i cant believe some of the shelters on ebay are claiming to be ok to be used as a hutch!!!

I got a hutch from freecycle. Washed it with hot water and vinegar then painted it with cuprinol garden shades. Two of my rabbits have it in their half of the shed to be cosy in, to jump on and ... to chew (naughty rabbits).

I am probably going to get (or even make) a small animal shelter too.

As for the hutch sizes ... :( It seems to be a very popular misconception that rabbits are fine to be SHUT IN to their (usually far too small) hutches for hours at a time ... thank goodness we have RU.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Back