• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutralising a room?

jazxo

Mama Doe
Pippin currently lives in my bedroom in a sectioned off area, I use puppy pen panels to section it off. She has access to all of my bedroom at times though, including my bed, cupboards, wardrobes, under things etc.

On the 1st of September she's going to Christine at Starlight Boarding and she's (hopefully!) being bonded with Pumpkin, who is currently still at the rescue and will be until the day they're going.

Pippin currently lives on blankets on top of carpet but I'm changing that while they're being bonded to foam mats (like this: http://www.norsk-stor.com/uploads/commerce/images/Primary Reversible Fanned Out.1.jpg)

I am planning to clean all walls and surfaces with water and white vinegar to neutralise them and with the carpet, I can't soak all of it but I can use white vinegar on the urine stains that Pippin's kindly left. If I use a powder carpet cleaner will that be enough? Also, how thorough do I need to be? When they come home obviously they'll be bonded but I know it'll be a delicate process keeping them happy once they're home.

For example, when they come home they'll be restricted to a small area. The area they will have will be completely neutral but does it matter if my wardrobe isn't? If that makes sense?

Any tips in general would be great too.

Be careful they don't find those mats yummy! :lol: if you could get some cheap rugs would that be easier over the carpet? Wouldn't move about then :)

I had lino with mine but I used a vinegar/water solution and over 2 days gave everything a good scrub! I don't think any stains would matter, as long as the smell is more or less gone :) Maybe use a regular disinfectant on the wardrobe and puppy pen. I also soaked toys in a light vinegar solution, the plastic ones anyway and gave wooden ones a wipe over with non scented wipes, mainly to get fur off!

Be careful they don't find those mats yummy! :lol: if you could get some cheap rugs would that be easier over the carpet? Wouldn't move about then :)

I had lino with mine but I used a vinegar/water solution and over 2 days gave everything a good scrub! I don't think any stains would matter, as long as the smell is more or less gone :) Maybe use a regular disinfectant on the wardrobe and puppy pen. I also soaked toys in a light vinegar solution, the plastic ones anyway and gave wooden ones a wipe over with non scented wipes, mainly to get fur off!

I know Pippin's fine with the mats but fingers crossed Pumpkin is too! I'm just so scared of sore socks :( so I don't want to use anything abrasive.

Oh brilliant :) thanks a lot. Do you think if I sprayed the areas I can't get to with the vinegar solution if would be effective?

I know Pippin's fine with the mats but fingers crossed Pumpkin is too! I'm just so scared of sore socks :( so I don't want to use anything abrasive.

Oh brilliant :) thanks a lot. Do you think if I sprayed the areas I can't get to with the vinegar solution if would be effective?

I did that :) I only did it once or twice though and just let it soak in :D

Back