• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how easy is it to refurbish a hutch?

LauraLou1982

Warren Scout
hello all :wave:

I have a double hutch that was given to me, its a bit worse for wear! It needs a new roof I think, doesn't leak but is drooping in middle so rain collects, how easy would this be to do? Also is there anything I can use to give it a good clean? It also needs a paint I think, its faded and clearly quite old but I would rather save the money and refurb it if I can! Structurally its OK, the wire is fine and the doors, its just the missing leg but at the moment its resting on some wood so that's not too much of a problem...

I think before doing anything else I would measure it to make sure it meets the recommended guidelines.

Do you want to post a picture so people might be able to come up with suggestions?

Roofs are usually board covered in felt, if the felt is sound you might be able to reuse it. If you take the old lid off and remove the felt you'll be able to measure the exact size. You want marine ply (ply designed for outside) and probably 10mm. A DIY shop will cut it for you.

A stiff brush - with cleaner, let it dry and then sanding lightly will help prepare the wood, and then cuprinol garden shades are good for a makeover.

I think it's easy. I'm doing one two at the moment, as well as my kennel :lol:

I generally pressure wash, sand, replace any bits needed, paint, new ironmongery and felt and possibly new mesh

I think it's easy. I'm doing one two at the moment, as well as my kennel :lol:

I generally pressure wash, sand, replace any bits needed, paint, new ironmongery and felt and possibly new mesh

Yes, thought of you as soon as saw the thread - as I know you're the expert at refurbishing hutches.

thanks for all your replies! i didn't even think of pressure washing!

Tamsin, should the roof come off quite easily? Sorry for all the questions lol!

Babsie, I have posted a picture of the hutch, its not massive but I have made a 7 ft by 4 ft run to be permanently attached once its been refurbished. Would this be OK?

It depends on the roof, some aren't attached at all, have a look from inside and see it you can see how it's fixed :)

Back