• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Revolution is NOT working for my rabbit

gbwms

Young Bun
Hi...
My rabbit is infested with fur mites. I can just pull big wads of fur off of his back. I got some revolution, the 60 mg kind for cats. That was a few weeks ago, and I have given him two doses and scrubbed out his cage daily since then. But the medication didn't seem to do anything at all (if anything, his back seems worse). What happened? Did I not clean his cage enough during treatment, or did I not give him the right amount? I made sure that I had the correct dosage for his weight the first time, and when that didn't do anything, I gave him a slightly larger amount two weeks later. Please help if you know what I did wrong!

It should work, if it is mites. Don't overdose as that can have serious side effects. Cleaning the cage shouldn't be a big issue as any in the cage attempting to reinfect the rabbit would be killed as the dose stays on the skin for some time afterwards.

Did you see any improvement after the first dose? With ivermetic you'd usually do three doses a week apart, but I'm not sure about revolution. I'd suggest calling your vet for advice. They may well give dosage for mites over the phone without any charge.

I would be wary of giving cat medication to a rabbit when not prescribed or advised by a vet just to be safe I'd take along to your vet we used xeno450 for mites and did three treatments can't remember how far apart also injections of ivermecting are available from vets.... I assume you have ruled out normal fur moulting due to the heat?

Yes, I'm certain that it't fur mites.... There are also flakes of skin in his fur. It is on his back, but it had just started to spread on his nose when I started the treatment, and that cleared right up. So I'm not exactly sure why it would work for his nose but not his back. I will probably call the vet tomorrow.

Mites spreading are an big issue in the show world. So a lot of breeders treat after every show. We almost exclusively use ivermectin medications in the treatment of mites. It is simple, effective, and easy to give, and here in the states you can get ivermectin medications at local feed supplies. After every show my bunnies get treated. I use Ivermectin horse worming paste, it comes in a syringe type tube and is banana flavored. I squeeze a grain of rice sized blob onto a bit of apple and the bunnies eat it straight away. it kills worms, mites, fleas *if the bite* and is very safe... it is what the bunny vet I work with recommends to all her patients as well. When I rescued Charlie *my rat* when I took him in for his vet check he got Revolution for a case of mites as well, but the instructions read (reading from sheet provided to me by the vet) " Fill syringe provided from vial and place between shoulder blades every third day until all product in vial is used" That is for rats though, and since rats are smaller and a little more sensitive to things I would assume rabbits get a bigger dose for a longer period of time... but after speaking with my vet he said to start using Ivermectin pour on solution *marketed for cattle and sold at livestock feed and supply stores like what is shown in this link>>>>> http://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Ivermectin-Pour-On-250/dp/B000HHOEIU my rats get half a CC of the fluid between their shoulder blades once a week for three weeks once every three months. As you can imagine using such small amounts I have enough in that one bottle for the life of my rats, I asked about using it on bunnies but the vet is out of town till thursday on vacation

Last edited:
Back