• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what is safe to paint or varnish rabbit housing

Hi guys, i have started building a rabbit hutch and run for my bunnies, i need to weatherproof it, what would you say is the best stuff to use? have been to b&q but just get so confused, any advice would be appreciated x P.S. i have used pretreated sawn timber and soft wood so need something i can use on both x

I emailed the RWA about wood preservatives and they said this:
'Make sure it's dried and all fumes have cleared before letting your rabbits near it, and there shouldn't be any problems. Ronseal is fine, but please DON'T USE CUPRINOL. It contains antifungal chemicals and while we have no data regarding the effects on rabbits, we do know that it has caused death in rhinos.'

After I painted my hutch with Ronseal I left it for 4 days before I put the rabbits on. My Grandpa contacted the company and they said to leave it that long before it's completely pet safe.

That's all the advice I have I'm afraid :)

I use cuprinol garden shades (as do many people on here) and its been really good. The wilkinsons own brand is not as good apparently.

Hi guys, i have started building a rabbit hutch and run for my bunnies, i need to weatherproof it, what would you say is the best stuff to use? have been to b&q but just get so confused, any advice would be appreciated x P.S. i have used pretreated sawn timber and soft wood so need something i can use on both x

I use Cuprinol Garden shades :)

Back