• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

does anyones bunnys free range in the garden???

Just putting this out there, Foxie has no idea he is a rabbit, he thinks he is a fox, and so he is not capable of fear :lol:

As for the 'being constantly exposed to stress' factor, I don't think a free range bunny is any more exposed to stress that any other bunny who spends time outdoors... now if you'd have said 'you should keep bunnies indoors at all times' that might have worked with the stress factor, but bunnies that are already outdoors have no/little difference in stress based on whether they are in a run or free-ranging imo.
Reasons why I think this:
- I have yet to hear of a free-range bunny who is locked out of their shelter during the day ;) so they can retreat and hide in a way that bunnies in a separate run are not allowed to do.
- Bunnies in a run are often on an piece of grass feeling exposed, how do they know that a predator can't get through the wire? I did a psychology and philosophy degree (gunna whip mine out now :lol:) and we learnt that infants wouldn't be able to make that sort of deduction. Rabbits are relatively dumb even compared to toddlers (don't tell Foxie and Bella I said that!) and as such they wouldn't be capable of thinking 'oh I can't get out of this run so they can't get in'. They would be just as scared, and have just as high a stress level- which in Foxie's case is still nil. :lol:
- My rabbits love cats, and curl up and sleep with my cats- no fear there. On the rare occasion when other cats walk the fence, Foxie just wants to say hi, and then my cats chase them off. A pigeon landed in our tree yesterday, and I swear he wanted to pounce on it ;)
- Foxie flops out in the middle of the garden, not caring at all about exposure, whilst Bella likes to run around by the trees so she is covered and feels well hidden.
- Supervised free-ranging: Bella is more scared of me then she is by cats, birds, dogs barking etc. My presence would not lower her stress level in the slightest... she will run around the garden binkying till I go out and then she will go hide :roll:
- In my Animal Rights module we looked at the concept of wild animals and how it is wrong to keep them in zoos and safaris even if it is to preserve their lives as they don't know the difference except for having a lower quality of life and we do it for our benefit. Rabbits have been domesticated over the course of the last 100 years, but that doesn't change the fact they are the same species. Obviously, as pets, they deserve protection, vet care, love etc. and they have some differing instincts... but I still don't see how letting them live in an environment closer to nature can be considered cruel.
- Finally, my bunnies are let out AT dawn, when they are hyper, they are then brought inside when it is getting dark and are allowed to run round downstairs until they are put in their cage at about 12am. So they only spend 5 hours in a hutch. They are also able to get in the house through a cat-flap throughout the day, and people are almost always home to keep an eye on them.

I do not think there is a right way to be a bunny owner... I wish I had space for a shed to give them more space over night for example, I wish I had a run attached for overnight! I see some set-ups on here and they make me feel bad because the bunnies are so lucky! I think you are right and we should always be seeking to make their lives better. However, I don't think my method is wrong as so many people on here seem to think, and I am SURE my rabbits are very happy.
Let me share one little story:
When we got Bella from the shelter we were told she had been kept in an indoor cage with little/no exercise. At the shelter she had a 6' hutch for night and a small run for daytime- 5*4- as they were full to bursting. When we brought her home we left her in an indoor cage with the door open. For hours and hours she didn't jump out, it was like it didn't even process that she could. The next day we set up an outdoor hutch for an outdoor shelter and let her outside. She stood there for a second, took a hop, then another, and then she started racing ROUND AND ROUND the garden faster than I have ever seen a bunny go doing massive binkies in the air again and again!! I could almost hear her laughing with happiness! Then winding round trees, going in and out of the hutch and racing some more. It was the most beautiful thing, and I don't see how giving her that kind of home is a bad thing. :love:

Just putting this out there, Foxie has no idea he is a rabbit, he thinks he is a fox, and so he is not capable of fear :lol:

As for the 'being constantly exposed to stress' factor, I don't think a free range bunny is any more exposed to stress that any other bunny who spends time outdoors... now if you'd have said 'you should keep bunnies indoors at all times' that might have worked with the stress factor, but bunnies that are already outdoors have no/little difference in stress based on whether they are in a run or free-ranging imo.
Reasons why I think this:
- I have yet to hear of a free-range bunny who is locked out of their shelter during the day ;) so they can retreat and hide in a way that bunnies in a separate run are not allowed to do.
- Bunnies in a run are often on an piece of grass feeling exposed, how do they know that a predator can't get through the wire? I did a psychology and philosophy degree (gunna whip mine out now :lol:) and we learnt that infants wouldn't be able to make that sort of deduction. Rabbits are relatively dumb even compared to toddlers (don't tell Foxie and Bella I said that!) and as such they wouldn't be capable of thinking 'oh I can't get out of this run so they can't get in'. They would be just as scared, and have just as high a stress level- which in Foxie's case is still nil. :lol:
- My rabbits love cats, and curl up and sleep with my cats- no fear there. On the rare occasion when other cats walk the fence, Foxie just wants to say hi, and then my cats chase them off. A pigeon landed in our tree yesterday, and I swear he wanted to pounce on it ;)
- Foxie flops out in the middle of the garden, not caring at all about exposure, whilst Bella likes to run around by the trees so she is covered and feels well hidden.
- Supervised free-ranging: Bella is more scared of me then she is by cats, birds, dogs barking etc. My presence would not lower her stress level in the slightest... she will run around the garden binkying till I go out and then she will go hide :roll:
- In my Animal Rights module we looked at the concept of wild animals and how it is wrong to keep them in zoos and safaris even if it is to preserve their lives as they don't know the difference except for having a lower quality of life and we do it for our benefit. Rabbits have been domesticated over the course of the last 100 years, but that doesn't change the fact they are the same species. Obviously, as pets, they deserve protection, vet care, love etc. and they have some differing instincts... but I still don't see how letting them live in an environment closer to nature can be considered cruel.
- Finally, my bunnies are let out AT dawn, when they are hyper, they are then brought inside when it is getting dark and are allowed to run round downstairs until they are put in their cage at about 12am. So they only spend 5 hours in a hutch. They are also able to get in the house through a cat-flap throughout the day, and people are almost always home to keep an eye on them.

I do not think there is a right way to be a bunny owner... I wish I had space for a shed to give them more space over night for example, I wish I had a run attached for overnight! I see some set-ups on here and they make me feel bad because the bunnies are so lucky! I think you are right and we should always be seeking to make their lives better. However, I don't think my method is wrong as so many people on here seem to think, and I am SURE my rabbits are very happy.
Let me share one little story:
When we got Bella from the shelter we were told she had been kept in an indoor cage with little/no exercise. At the shelter she had a 6' hutch for night and a small run for daytime- 5*4- as they were full to bursting. When we brought her home we left her in an indoor cage with the door open. For hours and hours she didn't jump out, it was like it didn't even process that she could. The next day we set up an outdoor hutch for an outdoor shelter and let her outside. She stood there for a second, took a hop, then another, and then she started racing ROUND AND ROUND the garden faster than I have ever seen a bunny go doing massive binkies in the air again and again!! I could almost hear her laughing with happiness! Then winding round trees, going in and out of the hutch and racing some more. It was the most beautiful thing, and I don't see how giving her that kind of home is a bad thing. :love:

I personally know of 3 people who let their bunnies free range all day . All 3 live in my small hometown and none of these rabbits have access to a hutch , run or anywhere during the day . 2 sets of these rabbits don't even have a hutch - they're free range all the time . The other one has a cage indoors that its brought in to at night (6pm) and its let out in the morning at 9am... even in winter where its dsngerous to keep bringing them inside and outside . I'd say its a relatively common thing ... If there's 3 in my circle of acquaintances , how many more are there ? Don't forget that this forum is made up of people who are relatively well educated on rabbits - there's tens of thousands more who don't know jot about what's an appropriate way to keep them . My judgements are based on people who don't have a hutch for their rabbit and don't allow it access to its indoor cage . That is very stressful . I don't agree with unsupervised free ranging in any capacity , but as I have already previously said , at least some owners have a place that the bunny can retreat to . At least they're able to choose to go back into their more secure hutch area to rest and relax.

Also not sure how a human psychology degree has any bearing on animals . I didn't drop mine in to the conversation to show off (not sure how a basic BSc is anything worthy of showing off about) - I dropped it in because its directly relevant due to the fact that I've studied the cortisol levels of these 3 sets of rabbits ( and others , such as single rabbits , rabbits housed near dogs/ferrets, etc ).

Your opinions are your opinions - you're basing your opinions on nothing more than your beliefs. On one hand you're saying that rabbits have no concept of safety within a cage (untrue - levels of stress in all animals drop lower when sectioned off from something causing fear in terms of potentially being attacked) and on the other hand saying that your rabbit believes he's an entirely different species. The two different levels of intelligence that you're attributing to your rabbit don't correlate. You're welcome to believe what you believe - I'm certainly not concerned about the beliefs of someone else . However, my opinion that a rabbit who is left alone to free range all day without a bolt hole is likely to be experiencing chronic stress is backed up by evidence . I'm not saying that you should change what you're doing - if you're happy to take the risks then that's your choice - but I'm also completely entitled to slam 'owners' who chuck their rabbits in the garden with no hutch to go into and nowhere to go to relax . I'm not quite sure why owners who clearly provide their rabbits with a hutch/run/shed/house and do respect the species' circadian rhythm are so eager to jump in and defend everyone else who lets their rabbit free range when it is very obvious, at least to me , that there are many owners (mostly off this forum) who it as a viable alternative to actually paying for a good sized accommodation and being a responsible owner .

EDIT: Excuse the weird formatting and typos, I posted this from my phone

Last edited:
I personally know of 3 people who let their bunnies free range all day . All 3 live in my small hometown and none of these rabbits have access to a hutch , run or anywhere during the day . 2 sets of these rabbits don't even have a hutch - they're free range all the time . The other one has a cage indoors that its brought in to at night (6pm) and its let out in the morning at 9am... even in winter where its dsngerous to keep bringing them inside and outside . I'd say its a relatively common thing ... If there's 3 in my circle of acquaintances , how many more are there ? Don't forget that this forum is made up of people who are relatively well educated on rabbits - there's tens of thousands more who don't know jot about what's an appropriate way to keep them . My judgements are based on people who don't have a hutch for their rabbit and don't allow it access to its indoor cage . That is very stressful . I don't agree with unsupervised free ranging in any capacity , but as I have already previously said , at least some owners have a place that the bunny can retreat to . At least they're able to choose to go back into their more secure hutch area to rest and relax.

Also not sure how a human psychology degree has any bearing on animals . I didn't drop mine in to the conversation to show off (not sure how a basic BSc is anything worthy of showing off about) - I dropped it in because its directly relevant due to the fact that I've studied the cortisol levels of these 3 sets of rabbits ( and others , such as single rabbits , rabbits housed near dogs/ferrets, etc ).

Your opinions are your opinions - you're basing your opinions on nothing more than your beliefs. On one hand you're saying that rabbits have no concept of safety within a cage (untrue - levels of stress in all animals drop lower when sectioned off from something causing fear in terms of potentially being attacked) and on the other hand saying that your rabbit believes he's an entirely different species. The two different levels of intelligence that you're attributing to your rabbit don't correlate. You're welcome to believe what you believe - I'm certainly not concerned about the beliefs of someone else . However, my opinion that a rabbit who is left alone to free range all day without a bolt hole is likely to be experiencing chronic stress is backed up by evidence . I'm not saying that you should change what you're doing - if you're happy to take the risks then that's your choice - but I'm also completely entitled to slam 'owners' who chuck their rabbits in the garden with no hutch to go into and nowhere to go to relax . I'm not quite sure why owners who clearly provide their rabbits with a hutch/run/shed/house and do respect the species' circadian rhythm are so eager to jump in and defend everyone else who lets their rabbit free range when it is very obvious, at least to me , that there are many owners (mostly off this forum) who it as a viable alternative to actually paying for a good sized accommodation and being a responsible owner .

EDIT: Excuse the weird formatting and typos, I posted this from my phone

I do enjoy a healthy discussion, but I have nothing more to add to my side so I'll leave it now.

Two clarifications though:
Firstly, the psych degree isn't particularly relevant but I was using it to make a point: for instance, if you put a baby who is scared of dogs in a cot, then let in a dog, the child will move away from the dog as much as possible as he/she is not aware that the dog can't get in the cot. The child will also be just as upset as if it saw the dog outside of the cot. In the same way, a run does nothing to prevent the STRESS factor of a rabbit, as they are not smart enough to know predators can't get in just because they can't get out. It also does nothing to stop the rabbit getting scared by noises of people shouting and dogs barking- runs don't block sound- so the animal is still stressed in that way. Obviously, a hutch decreases stress as they have covered areas and are considered 'home', but my bunnies still get the hutch sanctuary.
Secondly, Foxie has never seen, heard, or smelt a fox... so he doesn't ACTUALLY think he's a fox. That was a joke based on the fact his name's 'FOXIE' and he's floofy and ginger and cheeky... :lol:

I think my post from this morning wasn't particularly well put as I was in a rush, so apologies :)

I do enjoy a healthy discussion, but I have nothing more to add to my side so I'll leave it now.

Two clarifications though:
Firstly, the psych degree isn't particularly relevant but I was using it to make a point: for instance, if you put a baby who is scared of dogs in a cot, then let in a dog, the child will move away from the dog as much as possible as he/she is not aware that the dog can't get in the cot. The child will also be just as upset as if it saw the dog outside of the cot. In the same way, a run does nothing to prevent the STRESS factor of a rabbit, as they are not smart enough to know predators can't get in just because they can't get out. It also does nothing to stop the rabbit getting scared by noises of people shouting and dogs barking- runs don't block sound- so the animal is still stressed in that way. Obviously, a hutch decreases stress as they have covered areas and are considered 'home', but my bunnies still get the hutch sanctuary.
Secondly, Foxie has never seen, heard, or smelt a fox... so he doesn't ACTUALLY think he's a fox. That was a joke based on the fact his name's 'FOXIE' and he's floofy and ginger and cheeky... :lol:

I think my post from this morning wasn't particularly well put as I was in a rush, so apologies :)

I think your Foxie joke went totally over my head :lol: That's what I get for replying to posts late at night and not long after waking up :oops:! He is very cute and unusual, certainly a fox colouring!

On a side note...that baby thing is very interesting. The whole development and learning process of a newborn up to a toddler/child is really fascinating. Unfortunately I don't get to do much on humans with my pathway but it's something I'm definitely interested in learning more about. I think over the summer I'll have a good investigate and learn some more about it, thanks for spurring me on :D

Mine free range in my back yard and have a small cat flap which goes into a converted outside toilet....they bolt into it even if someone walks round the back so I am hoping they would do this if a fox came and a fox would not fit through the cat flap. Obviously there is a risk but I choose this over confining them...obviously if one of my buns ever did get caught by a fox I may change my mind as I have heard some awful stories. Making a hutch and run fox proof is difficult though I have heard many stories of foxes getting into secure runs and hutches or dyeing of fright from being confined and the fox trying desperately to get in. I think the only way to be totally fox proof is to keep them indoors. Anyway I had my last bun for 7 years free ranging and these for 4 years now so I'm hoping that maybe the area I live in is just not suitable for foxes so I would assess your location carefully first...ask neighbours etc if they have seen foxes. Here is my set up. I have a cat flap on the door now rather than just a hole but they used the catflap straight away they just pushed it and went in I was very surprised how easily they got used to it I didn't even have to show them.

7178318172_e2f1a3ce47_z.jpg

Last edited:
I think your Foxie joke went totally over my head :lol: That's what I get for replying to posts late at night and not long after waking up :oops:! He is very cute and unusual, certainly a fox colouring!

On a side note...that baby thing is very interesting. The whole development and learning process of a newborn up to a toddler/child is really fascinating. Unfortunately I don't get to do much on humans with my pathway but it's something I'm definitely interested in learning more about. I think over the summer I'll have a good investigate and learn some more about it, thanks for spurring me on :D

Hahaha, no worries :lol: Jokes usually go over my head even when I'm wide awake and paying attention :lol:

I do love psychology <3 On the philosophy side I also studied animal rights as I said, and we looked at chimpanzee psychology (and non-human primates ability to pick up language) compared to human psychology (which led to The Great Ape Project). If you are into animals + people then that is something to look at!

My two are house buns and have the run of most of the ground floor while I'm out and (unless the weather is extremely bad) supervised free range time in the garden. I am considering putting in a cat flap attached to a run-around system so they could come and go as they please.

My worry is not so much about cats and foxes but what my two would get up to if I wasn't there to keep an eye on them. I had drain covers bolted to the gutter down pipe - I heard a 'crack!' and glanced over to see Bobs back end disappearing down the drain pipe. Only last night, I was sitting in the garden reading a book and turned to see Kizzy balancing on the back of a garden chair trying to reach up to a low hanging branch. She's also jumped up tried to walk along a two inch wide external windowsill, not entirely sure why she tried it, but my other half believes she's the reincarnation of a ninja warrior. I know this sounds like they're bored and perhaps they are but they do have plenty of toys and tunnels. I just think my two see my bunny-proofing as challenge.

So my avice would be to at least do supervised free range first to make sure the bunny proofing is thoroughly tested.

Merlin has free range during the daytime only when I am in though but I don't stand outside with him I carry on with what I am doing he comes to find me every now and then. He has access to his hutch at all times and is quite often chooses to be in his hutch flopped out especially when it's hot or under his hutch we have our wooden garden chairs stored under there ( folded up) he is quite often squeezed in there somewhere or under our bed he has free range of the house too.
He is shut in around 9.30-10ish as he is more active later when it's not too hot.
If I had more room I would love a shed aviary set up but need a bigger garden for that.
Our garden is rabbit proof but if a fox were about it could get in. Our next door neighbours cat comes in the garden but its not a problem at all she is used to rabbits and has been round them since being a kitten. She is more interested in the guinea pigs definitely think she would have one if given a chance but they are safe in the hutch or run.

After what I experienced a few months ago loosing Leo&Missy to a fox, I would never leave mine to free range unsupervised :wave:

Reading this thread is reminding me of one I read not long ago, a lady on here had a group of 6 rabbits and they free ranged all day then got shut in their shed at night.

(Might start getting it mixed up with other threads now!)

I think she had a thread previously saying she had never had any problems with foxes/cats etc getting into the garden or anything for 10 years or something and seeing the rabbits happy with the space was important.

Went out to them and found all 6 dead.

Then the other thread was about her turning her shed and runs into Fort Knox, they could also go into the house via a runaround tunnel thing and cat flap.

(If I've got threads mixed up and someone knows please tell me, I've read so many they start combining!)

Edit- I can't trust mine to free range, even supervised. We live on the corner (blind corner) of the main road coming into the village, if they ever got out they'd get squished. They have a 6x4 shed and access to an 8x4 run at all times but that's all I can offer them for most of the time. It's the best set up they've had, but our garden has so many nooks and crannys and short walls that there is no way I could bunny proof it, they'd be in next doors garden, the pub car park or down the well.

I do have 2 puppy pens that I attach to the run and shed for them though and they love that :) that basically gives them the whole grassy part of the garden. Also now I have to think about the creepy cats that live at the pub..

Last edited:
I struggle to see how a pair of bunnies provided with the size accommodation as I've mentioned above; plenty of fresh hay and interesting forage-y foods; an appropriate amount of veg and pellets; plenty of toys (both interactive/complex and simple chewing/throwing toys) and appropriate veterinary care are any worse off than a pair of rabbits allowed to roam free. In fact, I would hazard a guess that a rabbit housed this way is a happier rabbit.

Quality of life can be provided without risking your animals life. Quality of life is not, to me, risking the death of your animal. It's called quality of LIFE after all.

From a biological basis, the stress on the body of being constantly exposed to stress factors is exhausting. Never mind the fact that most people let their rabbit free range in the day... which is when they should be sleeping!

The above is all my opinion, and obviously everyone else is welcome to theirs. However, free ranging unsupervised not something I would ever, ever risk. Personally I think that if a rabbit is killed after being allowed to free range unsupervised, the owner deserves very little to no sympathy. It's the owners choice to take that kind of risk, and so they (and their rabbit) must accept the consequences.

See, I think ALL of the above about cats who are allowed to roam free, but that seems to be acceptable to cat owners who would never dream of letting their bunny free range in a reasonably secure garden. So to my mind, if you're prepared to let your cat roam here, there and everywhere without having a clue about the dangers it's facing, I don't see why it's so bad to allow your bunny to free range in your garden ;). And let's not have the 'but cats are different' argument because rabbits would roam a pretty hefty area in the wild, just as cats do and you can't even use the 'but rabbits are a prey animal' argument either because cats are preyed on by motor vehicles, dogs, humans, foxes or even other cats. It smacks of double-standards to me, but that's just my opinion.

I let mine free range during daylight hours when I'm home and have done the same ever since I've had rabbits for the last 23 odd years. I know there are risks but I also see the enjoyment they get from hopping in and out of the bushes, running at breakneck speed over the lawn or simply sleeping under the hedge.

It was DomaNikki and was awful for her...I did think after that about mine but the yard is too small for a run and they have been used to free ranging now so don't think it would be fair to keep them locked in. If I move though I will definitely get somewhere with the biggest garden and make an aviary style run that is about as large as my current garden so they can get a decent run. I just don't think many runs even the larger ones give enough space for a rabbit to have a good run like they can free ranging.

See, I think ALL of the above about cats who are allowed to roam free, but that seems to be acceptable to cat owners who would never dream of letting their bunny free range in a reasonably secure garden. So to my mind, if you're prepared to let your cat roam here, there and everywhere without having a clue about the dangers it's facing, I don't see why it's so bad to allow your bunny to free range in your garden ;). And let's not have the 'but cats are different' argument because rabbits would roam a pretty hefty area in the wild, just as cats do and you can't even use the 'but rabbits are a prey animal' argument either because cats are preyed on by motor vehicles, dogs, humans, foxes or even other cats. It smacks of double-standards to me, but that's just my opinion.

I let mine free range during daylight hours when I'm home and have done the same ever since I've had rabbits for the last 23 odd years. I know there are risks but I also see the enjoyment they get from hopping in and out of the bushes, running at breakneck speed over the lawn or simply sleeping under the hedge.

Do you know, I was reading this last night and thinking about cats. Most people find keeping cats confined indoors a dreadful idea, but they are at pretty high risk of being run over if let out (I seem to remember life expectancy of an indoor cat is around 3-4 times that of an outdoor one).

I don't allow my bunnies to free range without supervision at the moment (I have an indoor cat.... :lol: ) but I do always wish I could provide them with more. I live on the outskirts of a city now though and although I think I have made the garden secure, I do worry about foxes and I do worry about escapes, not least as one of my buns was in the rescue as he was a 'runaway' and he is a digger. However, I have previously kept hens that free ranged when we lived rurally and if I did so again, and had a secure garden, then I may consider giving my buns more free range time.

Certainly the rescue I got two of my bunnies from, which are very highly thought of, allow their bunnies to free range, the gardens are made into a sort of warren for the bunnies that aren't homable and they live very naturally. I assume they are shut in safely at night though. There's always someone about of course, but they don't have constant, direct supervision.

I'm not sure if you meant that I was being hypocritical or not, but I'll assume not as I haven't said anything about cats. I agree with you, I wouldn't allow a cat of mine free range unless I lived in a very specific area (some perfect paradise where there are few to no cars, lots of houses and no countryside nearby). However, I don't think these perfect paradises exist and so I wouldn't let a cat of mine roam free. We used to let my old cat out (bearing in mind I was 13/14 at the time) and she was always fine, but we are lucky to live in a very safe area where there are very few cars and they all have to go very slow because of the roads here. As I said though, I wouldn't let mine out. You can get these aviaries which attach to the side of the house and the cat either gets out through the window or a door. Allows them to go out when they want but in a safe area.

The way I see it life involves some risk for all of us...cats, rabbits, people. I mean we can't keep our kids in when they start growing up just in case something happens to them we have to let them out eventually and we go out even though there are risks to us. I suppose I see it the same with pets. My cats are allowed out and one of mine did get killed on the road but I still stick by my decision not to confine them....I just don't think its fair they love going out it's natural for them I know I would not like to be confined to indoors permanently being able to see outside but not go out. The same with my bunnies although I let them free range I make sure there is somewhere where they can get inside that a bigger predator cannot. Anyway it's a very personal decision and people who say 'you shouldn't leave them in the garden unattended' really annoy me...what they really mean is 'they do not think you should leave them in the garden unattended'. There is no rule book with how your rabbits are kept you make the decision based on what you think is best to give them the best quality of life you can.

The way I see it life involves some risk for all of us...cats, rabbits, people. I mean we can't keep our kids in when they start growing up just in case something happens to them we have to let them out eventually and we go out even though there are risks to us. I suppose I see it the same with pets. My cats are allowed out and one of mine did get killed on the road but I still stick by my decision not to confine them....I just don't think its fair they love going out it's natural for them I know I would not like to be confined to indoors permanently being able to see outside but not go out. The same with my bunnies although I let them free range I make sure there is somewhere where they can get inside that a bigger predator cannot. Anyway it's a very personal decision and people who say 'you shouldn't leave them in the garden unattended' really annoy me...what they really mean is 'they do not think you should leave them in the garden unattended'. There is no rule book with how your rabbits are kept you make the decision based on what you think is best to give them the best quality of life you can.

I agree :)

Reading this thread is reminding me of one I read not long ago, a lady on here had a group of 6 rabbits and they free ranged all day then got shut in their shed at night.

(Might start getting it mixed up with other threads now!)

I think she had a thread previously saying she had never had any problems with foxes/cats etc getting into the garden or anything for 10 years or something and seeing the rabbits happy with the space was important.

Went out to them and found all 6 dead.

Then the other thread was about her turning her shed and runs into Fort Knox, they could also go into the house via a runaround tunnel thing and cat flap.

(If I've got threads mixed up and someone knows please tell me, I've read so many they start combining!)

Edit- I can't trust mine to free range, even supervised. We live on the corner (blind corner) of the main road coming into the village, if they ever got out they'd get squished. They have a 6x4 shed and access to an 8x4 run at all times but that's all I can offer them for most of the time. It's the best set up they've had, but our garden has so many nooks and crannys and short walls that there is no way I could bunny proof it, they'd be in next doors garden, the pub car park or down the well.

I do have 2 puppy pens that I attach to the run and shed for them though and they love that :) that basically gives them the whole grassy part of the garden. Also now I have to think about the creepy cats that live at the pub..

It was DomaNikki and was awful for her...I did think after that about mine but the yard is too small for a run and they have been used to free ranging now so don't think it would be fair to keep them locked in. If I move though I will definitely get somewhere with the biggest garden and make an aviary style run that is about as large as my current garden so they can get a decent run. I just don't think many runs even the larger ones give enough space for a rabbit to have a good run like they can free ranging.

Aly&Poppy - I think you mixed my thread with someone elses? But yeah I had 2 rabbits that were killed by a fox. I'm not turning my set up into a fort knox though :lol:

I think it's really nice to see your rabbits free ranging and honestly found Leo&Missy to be so much happier whilst free ranging rather then in their run but I made a HUGE mistake and it cost them their lives and i'll never forgive myself for it.

Obviously people can do what they feel is right for their pets but I just couldn't risk unsupervised ranging again :wave:

I find it better to connect a couple or big runs together so they have a massive area to run around with a fence/cover on top so there still very secure. And nothing can get in or out :p

My 2 girls free-range in the garden but it's under strict supervision, mainly because they'd help themselves to things they shouldn't and I'd then end up with no flowers!

They have a minimum of 2 free-ranges per day - in the morning and at teatime and occasionally at lunch time if I'm not busy, but I have gone to them at lunch time to find them zedding away Zzzzzzzz :roll: so have left them to snooze instead. The morning free-range is about 20-30 minutes and the evening one is the same, though sometimes they have an hour as it depends on the day (we are very busy some evenings), and mostly the weather.

We have cats by us though I rarely see them in the garden. There are also foxes who live nearby but I haven't seen them in the garden since we rabbit-proofed it, and that's just over 2 years now and even then it was a cute cub :love:. We have a Sparrowhawk but that's only small so highly unlikely it would try and grab one of my heiffers! In fact, he/she swooped down over the garden just last week and the girls never batted an eyelid. The hawk sat on the fence for a second before flying off. No, he/she wasn't eyeing up the rabbits either as he/she was looking the other way and the rabbits would have been in its full sight as he/she flew down.

Even so, as said above, they are strictly supervised but this is because of the flowers and not potential predator risk.

Back