• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How tall do u think a 'bed' needs to be?

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
I asked the hutch maker to leave the divider out of Heidi and Dash's hutch and my plan was to put the litter tray in the 'private' area, which would have been the 'bed' with a divider, but we all know most bunnies prefer to use this as the toilet, so I thought I would put a separate bed box in the main area. Does this sound like a good idea? I wanted something flat roofed so it doubles up as a platform for them to jump up on and sit on.

I was thinking of this...
http://bit.ly/14euyjg

But don't know if it would be cosy enough as the opening is quite big...

So iv looked at this as an alternative...
http://bit.ly/YQcomq

Which I think is a better style as they can huddle right in on colder days, but its only 8" high. Is that tall enough? At the moment H&D have a 'bed' area that I made myself which is 12" high and they in no way full that height when they're in there, they literally do huddle and just lie sleeping in there so maybe 8" would be ok? The other option is to make one myself again which is probably best really as I can get thicker wood so it will be more insulating.

Thoughts please!! :D

No replies anyway but on closer inspection (I know would've been good for me to check :lol:) he has put the divider in :roll: Also a bit disappointed to find a very thin plywood floor instead of the solid wood one in the other hutch :(

No replies anyway but on closer inspection (I know would've been good for me to check :lol:) he has put the divider in :roll: Also a bit disappointed to find a very thin plywood floor instead of the solid wood one in the other hutch :(

Didn't want to read and run. I hope you have decided one to go for ( sorry I can't vuew the pix) and sorry your not happy with the hutch

Aw thank u both, I'm just feeling really deflated now :( I was hoping to get working on it this wknd but I'm now going to have to reinforce the floor :( I think I answers my own question on this matter really didn't I, home made is prob best option! But I don't know what il do now the divider is in, whether to take it out or just leave it. Grrrr I just don't know and don't have the energy to make these decisions!!

Back