• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I just kicked a fox

I wouldn't kick an animal I take precautions my rabbits are never put in a position where they are at risk from foxes.

OP, I think perhaps people are reacting because they are reading the thread title and making a judgement before reading the context of why you kicked the fox. I did this and thought "Oh, that's not right" then I calmed down, thought about it and realised you were just trying to get it off you. If the title was "Fox tried to bite me" I'm not sure the reaction would be the same. Glad you are ok and the buns are safe.

Exactly !!

The local moggies are far more fearful of people than any Urban Fox. The Foxes really have no fear of anything at all now.

The woman in the flat opposite me used to leave food out for them, round outside my patio area where my old bun lived. I kept asking her not to and she'd replied 'Oh they can't get to him, dont be so paranoid' when I tried to explain that he was scared of the noise and smells she just got all strange 'youre really upsetting me now'.

I just kept moving the bowls outside her flat door.
She moved soon after. I think that was unrelated though. :S

But the Fox attacked the human, not the Rabbits !!

If it were the size of a 35kg plus dog it is likely to be a dog not fox and screaming and kicking out at a dog will only make it worse what you are advised to do is fold your arms do not have eye contact and stand still.

If it were the size of a 35kg plus dog it is likely to be a dog not fox and screaming and kicking out at a dog will only make it worse what you are advised to do is fold your arms do not have eye contact and stand still.

Hahaha as if I'd do that if something was biting me! It'd definitely get a biff on the nose from me.

Are you actually joking? If a dog was biting your leg, you'd remain still, cross your arms and hope it would just.. Stop?

Come now..

If a dog was tugging at my clothing I would yes as it is the most likely way that I would end up NOT getting bitten.

If a dog was tugging at my clothing I would yes as it is the most likely way that I would end up NOT getting bitten.

Oh yeh that makes sense. Sorry. I thought you meant if it was just taking a slice out of your leg in a kind of 'I'm gonna maul you' way.

I have foxes on the reserve I work on that are completely oblivious to people. They ignore people, even when they have crowds of photographers taking pictures of them. You give them their space, they give them yours. I have never, ever had a problem with any of these foxes, and there are children coming to the reserve.
Even when I caught two idiots feeding one of the vixens, the fox was never acting aggressive. The people were feeding her right in front of a crowd of kids...she was only ever wary and wouldn't come too close to the kids. She was begging off me, thinking I also had food after I had had a right go at the two morons. I stamped at her and shouted "GET!" and eventually she realised she was not getting food from me, and skulked off. Since that incident she has gone back to completely ignoring people. :thumb:

I think the way people react to the is the main problem. Like what people were saying about dogs etc. You only get bitten because of completely misunderstanding a behaviour or acting threatening etc. Predators give LOTS of warning before attacking. If you run over to a frightened predator...expect to be bitten...it's common sense! :lol:

I have foxes on the reserve I work on that are completely oblivious to people. They ignore people, even when they have crowds of photographers taking pictures of them. You give them their space, they give them yours. I have never, ever had a problem with any of these foxes, and there are children coming to the reserve.
Even when I caught two idiots feeding one of the vixens, the fox was never acting aggressive. The people were feeding her right in front of a crowd of kids...she was only ever wary and wouldn't come too close to the kids. She was begging off me, thinking I also had food after I had had a right go at the two morons. I stamped at her and shouted "GET!" and eventually she realised she was not getting food from me, and skulked off. Since that incident she has gone back to completely ignoring people. :thumb:

I think the way people react to the is the main problem. Like what people were saying about dogs etc. You only get bitten because of completely misunderstanding a behaviour or acting threatening etc. Predators give LOTS of warning before attacking. If you run over to a frightened predator...expect to be bitten...it's common sense! :lol:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Threads about big, bad, scary foxes have become so common here! :lol::lol::lol:
Personally, I'm more scared of some people! As Vegan_Bunny said 'predators give lots of warning before attacking'. People don't! :lol:

actually my OH saw a HUGE dogfox (male fox) the other night - and we DO know what a fox looks like so it was definitely one. He said it was the biggest he has ever seen and was the size of a big dog,

I thought foxes are suppose to be scared of humans. That one either wanted to get my attention, asking for food, or it thought me to be food. I wore boots and don't regret kicking it. My jeans were oversized. When I clamp the front bit there's room to fit a whole hand in addition to my leg. That's why the fox didn't bite my leg. I rather not risk getting rabies. It's been years since I last had those vaccinations. To the people saying it can't be the size of a dog, it is. I know what a fox looks like, and no I'm not going to try asking the fox to sit there while I measure it. I'll probably end up on the headlines as piece of meat if I tried that.

Size comparison of a fox with a big dog (German Shepherd/Alsation). GSDs are stockier than Dobermans, but Dobermans can be taller - I once looked after one when I had a GSD and she was bigger than him by a fair way (both were pure bred).

fox_size_comp.jpg

Just saying, because I can't be having people going around saying that foxes are the size of large dogs. Besides, if it was the size of a large dog, it would likely be biting the stomach/arms, not the legs.

Size comparison of a fox with a big dog (German Shepherd/Alsation). GSDs are stockier than Dobermans, but Dobermans can be taller - I once looked after one when I had a GSD and she was bigger than him by a fair way (both were pure bred).

fox_size_comp.jpg

Just saying, because I can't be having people going around saying that foxes are the size of large dogs. Besides, if it was the size of a large dog, it would likely be biting the stomach/arms, not the legs.

this! If it was the size of a large dog, it obviously wasn't a fox!

Gosh, I would be moving away from the Fox before it got close enough to bite me, I know they are bold as brass these days but still, I wouldn't get to the point it could touch me, especially if it was the size of a Doberman!!

We had one a few years ago pop into my parents hallway whilst my Mum was unloading the shopping from the car and pinch my sisters shoe, was quite comical. :lol: Thankfully we had no buns at the time. Even though they are all over the place here I've only ever seen them run in the other direction to humans, even though you can pass by them pretty close. They still give me a shock when I see them :lol:

Some dog foxes can grow to be unusually large if they come from good strong stock and have had a decent diet but it is rare. I live in a rural area and the foxes here are almost invisible. But when I lived in the city they were abundant, aggressive towards humans and very cocky. I think its a natural reaction to kick out at anything attacking you in order to protect yourself, all the more so if children and pets are present. I love animals but I love my pets more and anything living thing be it human or animal that threatens them will be met with whatever action the situation calls for at the time. Same goes for protecting my human child, whatever it takes.

:shock: how scary!
It is a difficult subject really because obviously the fox was acting on instinc and if it had been kind of domesticated it would see you as a source of food or friendliness.
I dont think assulting any human or animal is righ, but having said that in this situation i dont think you had much choice.If you had time i would have ran into the house and fill upa washing bowl with cold water and thrown it over him.

fox_size_comp.jpg

I was just about to look for a size comparison picture :lol: Even a big dog fox I doubt would be bigger than a collie if that.

I hope your rabbits aren't too spooked now there's foxes around.

Back