• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Size of home for giant rabbit

This may depend in part on the breed of giant but I've now had two (not both at the same time) and a good friend has had three.

They are (as I suppose most rabbits are) very active. They climb; jump; run; and binky such that their ears are more than 3 ft off the ground regularly. "Stepping" on to the bed or the sofa is no issue at all..... They need enormous amounts of entertainment in terms of things to explore; see; climb on; and chew.

Both have mine have been totally indoor bunnies to the tune of open the door out and they don't bother or put them out and they come in.
At night or whilst I am out, he is confined to the kitchen. The "hutch" (dog crate) is his litter tray and dining table but it is never closed. When I'm in, he's free range across the whole house (although will be found sitting on my feet when not running about!)

My friend's buns have a shed for night and are free range in a large garden all day every day.

Personally, I think they need that amount of space and exercise. It is noteworthy that one of my friend's giants is nearly 7. The vet believes that is due to the extreme amount of exercise the bun gets.

Each to their own but I see giants as more akin to cats or dogs rather than their smaller (adorable) relatives who can live very fulfilled lives by being a bit more confined to runs and hutches. That said, even my little buns lived free-range but I understand the point that not everyone can provide that sort of environment and yet wants to enjoy sharing their lives with a long-eared friend who, in turn will have a perfectly lovely, healthy life.
:)

Benji was always really lazy when we kept him inside too. I would come home from work and find him spread out by the radiator. :lol:

its funny because when we picked him he was the most active out his brothers we bought him home and he just sleeps poops eats and most the time he does the pooping and eating laying down:roll::lol:

Yes, width and length is very important but I believe height is also important.

You would be amazed how high a rabbit can jump! My rabbits have chairs which they like jump onto and perch on. You could not really provide that kind of thing in a hutch no matter how wide and long it is, if it does not have the height necessary. Height also provides a feeling of spaciousness (if that is the word!) which a hutch cannot give.

I can't help feeling that Rabbits are, mostly, gregarious and energetic and I don't know how a hutch can accommodate that trait. Again, absolutely no offence intended and I do appreciate that there are a lot of loved and pampered bunnies who live in a hutch :)

My giant and his partner (not a giant) have an 8ft x 6ft shed with a 7ft x 12ft aviary. They only get to run in a secure area of the garden when I can supervise them.

You would be amazed how high a rabbit can jump! My rabbits have chairs which they like jump onto and perch on. You could not really provide that kind of thing in a hutch no matter how wide and long it is, if it does not have the height necessary. Height also provides a feeling of spaciousness (if that is the word!) which a hutch cannot give.

I can't help feeling that Rabbits are, mostly, gregarious and energetic and I don't know how a hutch can accommodate that trait. Again, absolutely no offence intended and I do appreciate that there are a lot of loved and pampered bunnies who live in a hutch :)

I want to share with you the type of hutch i am on about, do you not feel the hutch below is big enough?
Do you not think levels will fit inside?

Not trying to pick at you, just trying to understand your reasons why a hutch is no good but a playhouse is.

9095669130_0ee6c3854b.jpg

As i clarified earlier, i was not aware playhouses are typically 4 foot high.

As far as hutches go, your example is excellent (although I would still be reluctant to confine a giant in one for any length of time) and I am sure if anyone wanted a hutch, they would do well to consider you as you do seem a cut above the rest.

However, I am still not convinced that a hutch provides the same quality of life and spaciousness that a kennel/run can give particularly with free ranging where possible. But that is just my opinion and I do appreciate people's limitations come into the equasion (sp?) also.

Having said all that, If I was after a hutch I would be thrilled to be getting your example :)

I want to share with you the type of hutch i am on about, do you not feel the hutch below is big enough?

Not trying to pick at you, just trying to understand your reasons why a hutch is no good but a playhouse is.

That looks lovely :) :love:

Lovely hutch for an average sized bunny. I'm afraid it's not for a giant in my view. Sorry.

May i ask what the right size is then?
What would be the standard size?

If the hutch above is not acceptable at the size of 8x4x4ft connected to a large run then i am not sure what is acceptable seeing as the size is bigger than a 6x4 shed, all hutches/sheds/playhouses need to be connected to a run.

May i ask what the right size is then?
What would be the standard size?

If the hutch above is not acceptable at the size of 8x4x4ft connected to a large run then i am not sure what is acceptable seeing as the size is bigger than a 6x4 shed, all hutches/sheds/playhouses need to be connected to a run.

I don't think this really answers the above BUT for practical purposes a 4ft deep Hutch that's only 4ft high would be a nightmare to clean. A lot of leaning and back ache. The advantage of a shed is you can get in and clean upright and it is much easier.

I don't think this really answers the above BUT for practical purposes a 4ft deep Hutch that's only 4ft high would be a nightmare to clean. A lot of leaning and back ache. The advantage of a shed is you can get in and clean upright and it is much easier.

To some people maybe but being "one" of the people who have a style of the above hutch by a 9x3x3ft for lop rabbits i can stay it's easy to clean. The floor is level so you can brush out and the doors are large so you can reach in (get in). Ideally yes some people will find it hard but this isn't about that.

This is about the size of space a rabbit has inside to use to hop around and i am also trying to find out what the "acceptable" size is.

I have an 8ft by 3ft by 3ft hutch for my foster bunny who is a continental giant (and a small one at that - just over 4kg)

I don't think that's big enough for her, IMO. As she was being fostered I saw it as only temporary but she has been in rescue nearly 2 years now so I'm upgrading her to a kennel 10ft by 6ft (which I still don't think is adequate space tbh)

To some people maybe but being "one" of the people who have a style of the above hutch by a 9x3x3ft for lop rabbits i can stay it's easy to clean. The floor is level so you can brush out and the doors are large so you can reach in (get in). Ideally yes some people will find it hard but this isn't about that.

This is about the size of space a rabbit has inside to use to hop around and i am also trying to find out what the "acceptable" size is.

Hey, I already said I thought it was a nice hutch! You think it's acceptable so surely that's enough? It's your business, after all! People who don't think it's big enough don't have to buy it

my nethie can jump 3ft with ease, higher if he tried I'm sure!

Daniel, my only issue with the hutch is that the roof slopes, I imagine the 4ft measurement is to the apex rather than the ends? I'd keep smaller buns in there happily though if I was to have a hutch set up (but I hate having to crawl on the floor cleaning out hutches :lol:)

That looks like a great hutch, I would use for it a giant but as a base with permanent access to a run. I'd never shut mine in there, it's too small for them to be shut in but then I don't shut mine in their shed either as that's too small.

Back