• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where can I buy good hay??

moi

Mama Doe
Hello, where abouts online can I get a good quality hay?? The stores around me have dreadful hay (looks more like straw), and the half decent stuff only comes in small packages x

You could get from Hay for Pets and Dust Free Hay

My buns are on H4P Timothy & Rye mixed with DFH American Timothy. H4P Timothy & Rye are more stalky (slightly straw like but my buns love those bits more than the softer bits) and smell very sweet, while the American Timothy are the same as Oxbow/Alfalfa King American Timothy which are very green and smell so delicious!

My buns are on H4P Timothy & Rye mixed with DFH American Timothy. H4P Timothy & Rye are more stalky (slightly straw like but my buns love those bits more than the softer bits) and smell very sweet, while the American Timothy are the same as Oxbow/Alfalfa King American Timothy which are very green and smell so delicious!

:thumb:

I buy the £16 bags (inc p&p) from hay for pets, it's more cost effective. Mine have ings and timothy and rye :) they also have baled meadow hay which is from a horse supply shop for £7 :)

:thumb:

I buy the £16 bags (inc p&p) from hay for pets, it's more cost effective. Mine have ings and timothy and rye :) they also have baled meadow hay which is from a horse supply shop for £7 :)

I've just had my £16 bag of T & R delivered, plus small bag of Ings (they can never make up their minds whether they actually like it, so I just get small bag occasionally). I like their meadow hay for bedding, but it is out of stock, which is a bit of a nuisance.

I've just had my £16 bag of T & R delivered, plus small bag of Ings (they can never make up their minds whether they actually like it, so I just get small bag occasionally). I like their meadow hay for bedding, but it is out of stock, which is a bit of a nuisance.

I took the plunge with the ings and luckily they're loving it :lol: I bought a bag of meadow not long ago but it ended up just in the litter trays as non of them would eat it :roll: :lol:

Its not like the pets at home timoth hay is it??? I thought that looked like straw and my buns will not touch it xxx

hay 4 pets - timothy and rye is a favourite here, the soft meadow hay we use aswell.

also use deans farm meadow hay which is nice. hayexperts sell it or you can get a bigger bag from their own website. :wave:

the willow warren do lovely hay but it's more expensive i think. :wave:

we also sometimes use dust free hay aswell. the french hay is nice but is shorter strands, and the meadow hay is ok aswell.

Isn't p@h hay really choppy/dusty? I guess h4p hay is nothing like p@h hay if that's the case :p

You can buy sample packs of all 3 to see which they go for the most :) you just pay delivery :)

Its not like the pets at home timoth hay is it??? I thought that looked like straw and my buns will not touch it xxx

Nothing like it at all! :lol:

The Hay for Pets one is not actually Timothy hay though, it is timothy rich hay. It is rather stalky, but in a good way, my buns love it!

Excuse the bad quality, but this was a pic taken of the Hay for Pets T&R in 2011 I think. That was a very stalky year for them, it isn't as stalky now I find, but you get the general idea. It is a very good quality hay, all their hays are. Excuse the white fluff down the bottom, that is my bun, he was trying to get into the box whilst I took the pic, he loves it so much.

Just took some pics of my t&rye :)

IMAG2630_zps43ad725f.jpg

This is the ings, it's smells lovely and it's nice and green which they didn't really eat before but love this :)

IMAG2629_zps0796484f.jpg

This is their baled meadow hay from the horse supply shop, as you can see its rather stalky, I really like this latest bale, the rabbits are loving it too :) it doesn't look much different from the t&rye tbh! :p

IMAG2631_zps5d94a02d.jpg

And t&rye & ings side by side with a bit of Lola :lol:

IMAG2633_zpsf632aa0d.jpg

Not at all! As other people have showed above, T&R from Hay4Pets are very nice and sweet smelling, not chopped my buns go crazy.And you could see one of my previous post about American Timothy from DFH, which is very green and dry (like crunch sometimes), more like oxbow timothy hay or Alfalfa king timothy hay. I suggest you get samples from their website and your buns will tell you which one is their favourite :lol:

Sorry to hijack the thread but...

I dont know what the difference is...

can someone give a brief explanation please?

Thanks

Difference between what? P@h hay and hay for pets hay? P@h hay is choppy, can be rather dusty and while some buns like it, some don't. I prefer giving them longer strands and find the quality better of hay for pets and baled hay in general. Also more value for money.

Difference between what? P@h hay and hay for pets hay? P@h hay is choppy, can be rather dusty and while some buns like it, some don't. I prefer giving them longer strands and find the quality better of hay for pets and baled hay in general. Also more value for money.

No, I mean...whats the difference between the types of hay that "hay for pets" sell?

I don't know whats better for them Ings or meadow hay or timothy hay.

A lot of people are choosing Ings....why?

No, I mean...whats the difference between the types of hay that "hay for pets" sell?

I don't know whats better for them Ings or meadow hay or timothy hay.

A lot of people are choosing Ings....why?

I don't really know, I butit because the rabbits love it. They don't eat baled hay, have gone off timothy and rye now and only really eat ings. I'm just paying for it, the rabbits are the ones choosing it.

I don't really know, I butit because the rabbits love it. They don't eat baled hay, have gone off timothy and rye now and only really eat ings. I'm just paying for it, the rabbits are the ones choosing it.

LOL.....enter your credit card number please mommy....we want this one!

LOL!! :lol:

In general buns have their own preference - some like T&R some like Ings. My buns wouldn't touch Ings but go nuts for T&R. T&R is much coarser/stalkier than Ings, and my buns pick out the stalky parts. Ings look like tangled hair in my opinion. T&R has this very sweet smell and Ings smell nice as well but not as sweet. As we all recommended, get your buns a sample, free of charge and only need to pay for the p&p, and your buns will make the decision themselves :0)

In general buns have their own preference - some like T&R some like Ings. My buns wouldn't touch Ings but go nuts for T&R. T&R is much coarser/stalkier than Ings, and my buns pick out the stalky parts. Ings look like tangled hair in my opinion. T&R has this very sweet smell and Ings smell nice as well but not as sweet. As we all recommended, get your buns a sample, free of charge and only need to pay for the p&p, and your buns will make the decision themselves :0)

They only ate t&rye for about a year, then I put them on a hay only diet and I think they got bored :lol: maybe a few months of ings and they will change their mind again!

Back