• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Veg....so you give it daily/weekly??

Just wondered if veg is best to be given in a small amount daily or weekly? My 2 have unlimited hay, and an eggcup each of pellets in the morning and same again in the eve. They have tried carrot (it is their fave! so got them eating after their recent neuter!) but nothing else.

It totaly depends on what your buns can tolerate and what they can eat without it reducing hay consumption :thumb:

I dont really give any of mine vegetables on a regular basis...they get spring greens/broccoli (they all love broccoli stems!) occasionaly as a treat but really they only get fresh herbs/forage on a regular basis (mostly daily) ohh and carrot tops :thumb: I do often wonder about introducing more veggies for them...but I always worry about messing with their hay eating...

ETA mine also love kale.

Last edited:
Mine have fresh food in the morning, and pellets in the evening.

As a lot of my rabbits are getting older they tend to eat less pellets, so to keep their condition some of them get extra fresh food of an evening too. Oscar, for example, recently had a bereavement and an illness at the same time, so dropped lots of weight (and he's 9yrs, mobility impaired, has a tumour) - he had fresh food 3 times daily to bulid him back up.
They also get to graze in the garden every day.

I believe strongly in giving them fresh food - in the wild they would graze on fresh grass, weeds etc every day. A dry diet of hay and pellets must be very boring for them imo

Thats my thinking with regards to them living in the wild. I think they will get pellets once and veg once a day plus hay and see how they get on with that as they love their veg!

Mine get pellets in the morning and then a plate of mixed veg/herbs in the evening.
They love their veg (kale, broccoli, carrot tops, parsley and spinach being their faves) and they still eat lots of hay and do great poops so I'll keep feeding them veg as long as it's agreeing with their tums :)

Mine get a cup of vegetables each (four pound rabbits) every day, mostly different kinds of lettuce, but also at least two of these; parsely, snow peas, broccoli, bokchoy brussel sprouts, and pepper.

mine get veg as and when we have left overs, herbs as and when we have enough to cut for them, celery every few days as it grows like wildfire, and a small amount of dried herbs/flowers every day.

Ludo gets veg every day. (Portion sized, for example, a bit of cabbage leaf about the size of 4 small stamps per serving.)

He either gets two portions of veg AND a large bowlful of fresh herbs every day or two portions of veg and a large bowlful of fresh forage depending on what's available.

He only gets 3/4 an eggcup of pellets a day and when his tummy plays up not even that and as he's indoors I think the veg is important to provide vitamins as he's not getting many from pellets.

He's a really excellent hay eater, he eats a medium sized bag of hay by himself in a week and as his tummy seems to tolerate veg better than pellets for vitamins that's the diet we've settled on.

Back