• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

deans farm meadow hay

thanks for the bump :thumb:

i ordered some off hayexperts as i needed some other stuff anyway, so hopefully it will be ok. it has one good review anyway. :D

I looked at this when I was looking for an alternative to Oxbow Orchard Grass for my chins. They love the orchard grass, but it is so very expensive and I'm getting quite a lot of wastage due to lots of 'dusty' bits in the bottom of the bag.

I ended up going for this one http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/pure-pastures-meadow-hay.html which is very nice. The bunnies absolutely love it, but the fussy chins are not so keen. :roll:

I'll be really interested to hear what you think of the deans hay. Might try a bag of it with my next Hay Experts order in the hope that the chins will approve.

i've got the pure pastures one a couple of times in the past and it's good actually for the price.

i'll update when we have tried the deans farm one. it does look nice but you never know what they'll think. the piggies don't seem too fussy though really and it's just for their bed area so hopefully it will be ok. :)

I get the Deans farm hay from my local pet/farm shop and I've been really disappointed with it the last few months, this is why I'm looking to change to something else.

The last few months the hay has been soft and brown (and it's all tangled together and feels like wire wool, not good), not fresh looking at all, it looks horrible :(
And like someone above has posted, there is a LOT of dusty stuff at the bottom.

I get the Deans farm hay from my local pet/farm shop and I've been really disappointed with it the last few months, this is why I'm looking to change to something else.

The last few months the hay has been soft and brown (and it's all tangled together and feels like wire wool, not good), not fresh looking at all, it looks horrible :(
And like someone above has posted, there is a LOT of dusty stuff at the bottom.

oh that's a shame :( i always take hay outside to transfer into boxes to get any dust out, so i'll do that and then flatten it down in the piggies bed area so hopefully it will be ok until hay4pets have their meadow hay back in stock. it's the only one that seems nice at the minute, although not as good as usual, but all hay seems not that great lately.

we have just been using dust free hay soft, and it's not very nice so i wouldn't bother with that one either. :( the french is nice but i just wish it was in longer strands.

they all have hay4pets timothy and rye to eat aswell anyway. :D

thank you so much! I think I'll try and keep that hay. I'm trying something where im making him tons of hay toys and putting it in boxes all over his area. Hopefully he'll get a picture =P thanks so m uch!

whoops i'm so sorry, i think i posted my response in the wrong thread, sorry, =P :oops: im kinda a bit forgetful sometimes =P

got this hay today and i am really happy with it. it's lovely and soft, a lovely colour and there was no dust at all in the bag. this is definitely going to be my back up hay and i will probably get it off their actual site where i can get a bigger bag. i think i might even buy hay4pets sometimes and sometimes this one, or probably both :oops:

buns and piggies all like it. :thumb:

I bought Deans hay direct from there site, and was delighted with the quality. Previously I did use hay for pets, I also got a sample of the Timothy which looked just like Oxbow timothy Stalky and very green. I've had 3 bags so far and not a bad bag yet. :D

I bought Deans hay direct from there site, and was delighted with the quality. Previously I did use hay for pets, I also got a sample of the Timothy which looked just like Oxbow timothy Stalky and very green. I've had 3 bags so far and not a bad bag yet. :D

i think i'll get some of the timothy hay aswell next time. :wave:

:wave: Thanks for this thread - I'm always really interested in hearing about different types of hay and it's not badly priced either!

Please report back if you do decide to try the timothy hay...I think the meadow hay might be too soft for my buns but they might like the timothy :)

:wave: Thanks for this thread - I'm always really interested in hearing about different types of hay and it's not badly priced either!

Please report back if you do decide to try the timothy hay...I think the meadow hay might be too soft for my buns but they might like the timothy :)

i love hearing about hay aswell :lol:

i will update when we try the timothy aswell. :wave:

i started a new thread about it ... but i got some of the timothy hay and it is sooooooo lovely. stalky and very green. they all love it :wave:

I got the deans hay recently & I thought it was gorgeous, green colour, fresh smelling but the buns weren't that fussed. My piggys seemed to like it quite a bit though so they've been munching through it :) I'm tempted by hay for pets for my next order :thumb:

they sell it at all the local garden centers and farm shops around here, it's pretty average meadow hay and I have bought it in the past when I've run out. It's fine and the bunnies seem to like it ok

Back