• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I Hate the vets.

where do you live

Just south of Bath.

I sympathise with how frustrating and upsetting it is not to have a ve you can trust and rely on! I only recently moved to Bristol and have really been struggling to get on with my vet. The RWAF have recommended polly at highcroft vets and I have my first appointment with her tomorrow, so maybe if you ring for advice you could ask to speak to her? They might be able to make you a 'phone appointment' type thing? Good luck! I hope he gets better soon

Thanks for this, let me know how it goes with the vet!

Its just annoying I have a vets right across the road from my house, I also worry about making a far away vets my regular vets but if they really are good I wouldnt mind!

ive never tried that so not sure, with the infacol ive always added drops to water, also to see if a bun is really poorly they refuse to try and lick from syring bt of infacol bottle, if they tried to get it then i know they are poorly but not too bad, i always have metacam on hand to though, which my vets know about

many vibes to you bunny x

maybe I could mix the gel in with something else, he is still eating hay at the moment according to my boyfriend.....surely he should poo soon!?

He just went outside with the boyfriend and did what looked like 5 normal poos but they were mushed together - not strung together and were pretty soft....

so far today he has had
some hay maybe the same amount as normal
some parsley
he ate about a desert spoon full of pellets
2 blueberries

I havent seen him drink from his bowl but have syringed him about 7mls or so
and he might have drank when I didnt see

he pooed this morning maybe about 15 or so tiny ones and then tonight the 5 mushed up ones.....

how does this sound?any ideas?

He just went outside with the boyfriend and did what looked like 5 normal poos but they were mushed together - not strung together and were pretty soft....

so far today he has had
some hay maybe the same amount as normal
some parsley
he ate about a desert spoon full of pellets
2 blueberries

I havent seen him drink from his bowl but have syringed him about 7mls or so
and he might have drank when I didnt see

he pooed this morning maybe about 15 or so tiny ones and then tonight the 5 mushed up ones.....

how does this sound?any ideas?

I really dont know, but if that was one of my buns and the 5 mushed up poos I would be thinking things are 'moving'?. I would still call the vet though (we use Jason Burgess in Quedgley Glos Wood Vet Group/he is fantastic with rabbits). We have 'tummy troubles' with Little Oscar and a trick we use to get him moving/excited/interested ect is to change the cardboard boxes-move them around make new holes and give new ones-completely change the bunny environment- it really does work for him its like he cant bear to see Tilly exploring a new 'world' and not be part of the action- which gets him moving/and i think kinda distracts from feeling sick (that sounds crazy but it works for us).

I hope your little one is ok and feels better soon hun. x

I really dont know, but if that was one of my buns and the 5 mushed up poos I would be thinking things are 'moving'?. I would still call the vet though (we use Jason Burgess in Quedgley Glos Wood Vet Group/he is fantastic with rabbits). We have 'tummy troubles' with Little Oscar and a trick we use to get him moving/excited/interested ect is to change the cardboard boxes-move them around make new holes and give new ones-completely change the bunny environment- it really does work for him its like he cant bear to see Tilly exploring a new 'world' and not be part of the action- which gets him moving/and i think kinda distracts from feeling sick (that sounds crazy but it works for us).

I hope your little one is ok and feels better soon hun. x

Thanks for the reply!
he did a few more poos outside maybe altogether including the mushed ones about 10 or 11, he was in the garden for quite awhile - we leave our door open when its mild so he can go in and out, then he came in and ran around upstairs digging stuff
he has eaten some more grass and parsley and a bit of hay and some pellets and he had a good drink aswell, he has been weeing okay but no more poos indoors - I listened to his abdomen again and it sounds a little gurgly now which is much better than earlier and it felt a bit more like normal, so Im hoping he starts feeling better now.
My boyfriend is home all day tomorrow and will take him to the vets for a check up...

When you go to the vets make sure to try get a gut stimulant.
We use emperid, the oral form of metaclopromide.
And deffo some painkillers.
Even if he's got over it himself they're handy to have in the bunny first aid box.
Vibes for his speedy recovery xxx

So sorry that you've a poorly bunny , its so difficult living out in the country and finding vets,sending vibes to your little boy.

Would you be able to travel to Andover - Hampshire to Anton Vets where John Chitty is based ? you have probably heard about him before he's an exotic vet and really rabbit savvy :) he's been excellent with diagnosing and finding medication for Bella .

So sorry that you've a poorly bunny , its so difficult living out in the country and finding vets,sending vibes to your little boy.

Would you be able to travel to Andover - Hampshire to Anton Vets where John Chitty is based ? you have probably heard about him before he's an exotic vet and really rabbit savvy :) he's been excellent with diagnosing and finding medication for Bella .

John is my vet, too. He's excellent but think it is probably too far to travel from Somerset.

just to let you know i had my appointment with polly at highcroft vets and she was FANTASTIC! definitely recommend her :thumb:

thanks for the replies everyone!!!!!and the vet recommendations - I think Highcroft in Whitchurch is probably a bit nearer than Andover(we are on wiltshire border here:thumb:) but Im glad to know there are some vets we could refer to if needed!!

Bun isn't completely back to normal although a big improvement on yesterday and has done some vaguely normal size poos.

Andrew took him to the vet because I was out all day in my new job, the vet said his teeth need burring which is probably causing him discomfort and that he may be in some discomfort and that is why he was not pooing so well and he also thinks it means he cant groom properly and has said because of this that he has some mites - but apparently he said rabbits always have a few mites but can keep on top of the situation with normal grooming so he thinks that when his teeth have been done he wont be inadequately grooming so much (not sure how true that sounds about rabbits always having some mites - anyone have any idea?)
He said his abdomen sounds and feels fine and that apart from his teeth he is in otherwise great condition haha
He gave us some metacam for him too and we got some infacol today aswell, although Im not sure Im gonna give him the infacol now
We will book him into have his teeth done later in the week - Im hoping thursday as I finish early that day.

Does anyone know anything about giving rabbits IV fluids whilst under anaesthetic?They charge an extra £50 for this service, but I dont really see how they can get a line in a rabbit (its hard enough in some people) and thought that they may just give subcut but say theyve given IV.......and is it even of much benefit???
Thanks guys :thumb:

thanks for the replies everyone!!!!!and the vet recommendations - I think Highcroft in Whitchurch is probably a bit nearer than Andover(we are on wiltshire border here:thumb:) but Im glad to know there are some vets we could refer to if needed!!

Bun isn't completely back to normal although a big improvement on yesterday and has done some vaguely normal size poos.

Andrew took him to the vet because I was out all day in my new job, the vet said his teeth need burring which is probably causing him discomfort and that he may be in some discomfort and that is why he was not pooing so well and he also thinks it means he cant groom properly and has said because of this that he has some mites - but apparently he said rabbits always have a few mites but can keep on top of the situation with normal grooming so he thinks that when his teeth have been done he wont be inadequately grooming so much (not sure how true that sounds about rabbits always having some mites - anyone have any idea?)
He said his abdomen sounds and feels fine and that apart from his teeth he is in otherwise great condition haha
He gave us some metacam for him too and we got some infacol today aswell, although Im not sure Im gonna give him the infacol now
We will book him into have his teeth done later in the week - Im hoping thursday as I finish early that day.

Does anyone know anything about giving rabbits IV fluids whilst under anaesthetic?They charge an extra £50 for this service, but I dont really see how they can get a line in a rabbit (its hard enough in some people) and thought that they may just give subcut but say theyve given IV.......and is it even of much benefit???
Thanks guys :thumb:

I asked my vet about the difference between sub cut and iv.
I think the IV goes into a vein in the rabbits ear and it's not that hard. It's less painful than sub cuts, absorption rates are better with IV fluids as well.
When I was at the RWAF conf in the D!CK vets Kevin Eatwell said having IV fluids are an essential part of helping the bun with the GA.
And they do loads of buns every day, all IV fluids.
My vet also uses IV all the time.
xxxx

I asked my vet about the difference between sub cut and iv.
I think the IV goes into a vein in the rabbits ear and it's not that hard. It's less painful than sub cuts, absorption rates are better with IV fluids as well.
When I was at the RWAF conf in the D!CK vets Kevin Eatwell said having IV fluids are an essential part of helping the bun with the GA.
And they do loads of buns every day, all IV fluids.
My vet also uses IV all the time.
xxxx

Ahhh thanks for this, I will ask for more info on it when I book the appointment, I read here
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Man/LagomorphOverviews/Rabbit_Nursing_Notes.htm#Injections

and it says they give 10-15ml/kg over 8 hours, Bun is just over 2kg and obv his wouldnt be maintanence dose but during GA - I will ask the vet how much fluids the envisage giving him via IV whilst under GA.....as he is otherwise okay at the moment....

Ahhh thanks for this, I will ask for more info on it when I book the appointment, I read here
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Man/LagomorphOverviews/Rabbit_Nursing_Notes.htm#Injections

and it says they give 10-15ml/kg over 8 hours, Bun is just over 2kg and obv his wouldnt be maintanence dose but during GA - I will ask the vet how much fluids the envisage giving him via IV whilst under GA.....as he is otherwise okay at the moment....

hope he'll be ok, I'm not too sure about the whole buns always have 'some' mites to be honest.
Is he inddor or outdoor?
xxx

Only if he actually has mites though.
I'm thinking it through and it just doesn't make sense.
Maybe pm Jack's Jane and see what she thinks?
xxx

Im assuming the mites are from the hay or from when we stayed with boyfriends parents that has cats - we let Bun free range there.
Im guessing the vet thinks that if he is a dental bun he may always have some mites due to not being able to groom himself properly - I dont know!
The vet said he had mites, Im guessing he is right and that would make sense with how much he is itching and scratching but I would have thought he still needed treatment for them!?
all this stuff is so confusing, I wish I knew more about it!!!

Im assuming the mites are from the hay or from when we stayed with boyfriends parents that has cats - we let Bun free range there.
Im guessing the vet thinks that if he is a dental bun he may always have some mites due to not being able to groom himself properly - I dont know!
The vet said he had mites, Im guessing he is right and that would make sense with how much he is itching and scratching but I would have thought he still needed treatment for them!?
all this stuff is so confusing, I wish I knew more about it!!!

Could have came from the cats yeah.
Well it'll all be sorted out soon enough eh?
xxx

Back