• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often to refresh hay

Roly Poly

Warren Veteran
As you've probably seen from my numerous other posts, my rabbit is not a big hay eater.

He has a tin bowl full of hay and I also scatter a pile around his litter tray as he does sometimes have a munch whilst sitting on his throne!

I change the pile by his litter every morning as it's usually mixed with a bit of poop and litter and I add to it throughout the day if needed but the tin bowl never seems to go down. How often should I change it, does hay lose its flavour once out of the bag? I seem to throw away more than he eats.

I'm not sure if hay loses it's flavour once out of the bag, but I know my buns turn their nose up at it once it has been there a few hours, and go mad for fresh hay. I also end up throwing away a lot of hay and tried putting better hay in baskets and racks etc, but they just won't eat it like that...it has to be in their litter tray:lol:
I top the hay up in the litter tray every morning and evening, as i have four, their litter tray is a 3ft underbed storage box so alot of hay :lol:

I'm not sure if hay loses it's flavour once out of the bag, but I know my buns turn their nose up at it once it has been there a few hours, and go mad for fresh hay. I also end up throwing away a lot of hay and tried putting better hay in baskets and racks etc, but they just won't eat it like that...it has to be in their litter tray:lol:
I top the hay up in the litter tray every morning and evening, as i have four, their litter tray is a 3ft underbed storage box so alot of hay :lol:

:thumb: this mines exactly the same :thumb:

I change mine twice a day (i say change, but they usually eat the pile I put in) - I found they eat more now its off the ground in a hay rack.

I use two large litter trays - lined with newspaper and a good amount of meadow hay, timothy and rye and western timothy. Rabbits like to poo and eat at the same time!

I clean these out every day, add hay to them during the day and also use a large bowl to put hay in several times a day.

They don't appear to like hay that has been down a while and always make for the fresh stuff.

I also chop their greens in the morning and mix up with all the new hay in the litter trays to encourage hay eating.

Lots of waste - but worth it as they eat plenty of hay.

Back