• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to store bales of hay?

Bailey's

Mama Doe
I am toying with the idea of buying a bale of hay from a local farm but how is best to store it?

J&C are fantastic hay eaters, we are going through hay that quick it seems I'm forever buying the stuff! Not that I'm complaining mind, I'd rather have it that way!

How does everyone else store it? I can make room in our other non bun shed but am I best putting it in something?

The only advantage to putting it in something (I have mine in mattress bags) is that is reduces mess and *may* reduce the chances of mice as it's not so easily accessible. Having said that though, the last time I have mice I'm pretty sure they got in to the shed from being in the bale when I purchased it. So long as it is dry it will be fine.

OK, one bale of hay purchased and found home for in shed, car and driveway swept and two buns happily munching away!

I'm going to see how we go leaving it as it is for now, I was worried about mice getting in but fingers crossed.

And it was only £5.99 which seems a bargain!!:thumb:

Oh yeh, still need to break the news to Hubby that he will have to pick hay off his golf clubs when he needs them. I'll cook him a nice meal and ply him with drink before hand!! Lol!

Last edited:
I pull it apart and put it into megazorb bags. I leave them with an open top so any moisture can get out. As said above the most important thing is that the room is dry and not humid, or you will get mould growing.

I have a large sheet of plastic that I wrap mine in to bring in the car, a single duvet cover is a great alternative.

Mine stays loosely wrapped in the plastic, upright in a cool shed. You wouldn't want it in pastic if there were any danger of it getting sweaty.

Thanks guys, the bin looks a good idea, might look into that I one.

I had a nightmare on Sat night that there was a family of mice living in the shed :lol::lol: oh well it stops me worrying about other things for a bit!

I either stack the bales up in the shed and leave them like that and just pull of what I need to fill they hay box (i fill a big box with hay thats easier to carry round the sheds!)...or if the mess is getting on my nerves I split the bales and bag it all up into black sacks, tie loosly so the tops are pretty much open still and chuck em all to the back of the shed! :thumb:

Back