• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meadow or timothy hay?

kate7590

Young Bun
Im getting to the bottom of my current bale of farm hay and its got soil in it and is getting very dusty :shock: so im not keen on ggiving it to the buns...
Im thinking of ordering a bag from hay4pets as iv heard good reviews from there...but which hay is the best for bunnies?
Meadow or Timothy...or INGS?? (Whatsever INGS is??)

Timothy is said to be best for rabbits but a selection of different hays and dried forage is even better. Ings is the name of a firm I think. Alfalfa hay is higher in protein and calcium so not so good for adult rabbits.

The meadow hay is lovely - but kinda normal too if that makes sense,

The timothy & rye mix is generally quicte stalky...mine ADORE it...but I do get a rash from it & abit of asthma - so wear long sleeves...buns dont have any issues.

The INGS is great - smelt lovely form what I remember...but is quite thin..if that makes sense...

Id say for variation - Id get the timothy&rye mix and then a normal meadow hay bale...then mix the 2 hays:p Then you have the usual meadow hay thickness and then the stalkyness of the timothy&rye mix.

Are the bales big?
I usually get a farm bale from ebay (I dont know any other farms around here..) so was wondering how big the big bags would be in comparison??
Have I space for 2 different bales :p

Are the bales big?
I usually get a farm bale from ebay (I dont know any other farms around here..) so was wondering how big the big bags would be in comparison??
Have I space for 2 different bales :p

the largest bale they do is not as big as a normal meadow hay bale from a farm...BUT its more compressed....so yeah - I reckon you could squash 2 in:lol:

I just don't use the bottom of the bale, I let all the dusty bits and soil go to the bottom of the box and them scoop it up and put it on the compost.

Back