• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

growing herbs in winter

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Can this be done? I have never, at any time of year, had any luck with the living herb type of plants from supermarkets. I follow the instructions to the letter and they always die! :evil: I am mainly giving Spenser apple, pear and willow leaves at the moment, plus a little carrot and some fine beans. The problem with buying bunched herbs is that either I have to give him too much, or they go off too quickly.

You could grow them indoors on a windowsill. You would have to grow a lot to get some everyday though. Or outside in a heated greenhouse.

The problem in winter is heat and light. Indoors you get heat but not light and outdoors you get light (though not as much as summertime) but not heat.

I've currently got a massive pot outside (about 1m long and 20-30cm wide) in the garden. It has basil, parsley, mint, rocket, dandelions and plantain, all of which was grown from seed. It's now got a frost fleece covering on it, but it is absolutely thriving! I am unsure how long it will last into the winter but I'm hoping the frost cover will keep it warm for a while yet. Those mini greenhouse things are quite good and if my pot wasn't so big I'd put it in one of them.

You are probably best growing them from seed on your window sill. Basil is pretty good. I've got lots of seeding parsley ready to go in the greenhouse for over wintering.

I've got 5 different pots of herbs all at various stages of growth, they're situated on top of my gecko's vivarium so I'm hoping that will give them enough heat and they get lot of light too as that room is always in the sun. I'm useless at growing anything so if anyone has any magical tips I'd be happy to listen! :lol: Saying that my coriander looks great so far!

I had success with the flat leaf parsley last year, that lived all winter and carried on growing. My curly parsley, mint, basil etc all died off but some came back in spring.

Back