• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Discovered a New Treat!

Schtoffen

Mama Doe
Hi All,

I was shopping for hay at the new independent pet shop near my home (which I LOVE £3 for a huge bag of good quality hay :) ) and the lady showed me Wagg Beetroot Treats. My rabbits LOVE them. I'm being careful not to overfeed as according to the label they're high fat... but they're a great occasional treat :D

And they're really crunchy so good for those teeth :) I'll have to post a picture of how mental they go when I get the bag out!

ooh it sounds good let us see what the packet looks like too :D, i keep thinking what am i going to treat mitsi with when shes a bit older, there are so many different foods and treats i don't know where to start :(
so far we have tried a bit of carrot and carrot top but even that made her poo stink :shock:
she wont be getting that again.

we are scared of upsetting her

ooh it sounds good let us see what the packet looks like too :D, i keep thinking what am i going to treat mitsi with when shes a bit older, there are so many different foods and treats i don't know where to start :(
so far we have tried a bit of carrot and carrot top but even that made her poo stink :shock:
she wont be getting that again.

we are scared of upsetting her

Here they are. http://www.waggfoods.co.uk/products.aspx?ProductID=18 I can't remember what they cost, I think it was about £3 maybe? but it's a pretty big bag. They're not messy like some treats either...either that or they're so yummy the buns don't want to leave a crumb!! :lol:

They also do
Wagg Carrot Sticks
Wagg Carrot Bakes
Wagg Apple Bakes
not tried any of them yet, may get some see what the rabbits think

Beetroot Sticks

My three bunnies go mad for these too! They get quite demanding, so beware! The good thing is that there is no added sugar in these treats. :)

Have you looked at what is used to make these: Wheat, Vegetable Oil, Beetroot (5% dried beetroot powder equivalent to 30% beetroot), Egg Shell
Normally the highest proportioned items are listed first therefore going by this there is more than 5% of the contents as vegetable oil :shock:

Personally I would avoid as both vegetable oil and also egg shell are not normally natural parts of a rabbit diet.

Have you looked at what is used to make these: Wheat, Vegetable Oil, Beetroot (5% dried beetroot powder equivalent to 30% beetroot), Egg Shell
Normally the highest proportioned items are listed first therefore going by this there is more than 5% of the contents as vegetable oil :shock:

Personally I would avoid as both vegetable oil and also egg shell are not normally natural parts of a rabbit diet.

Perhaps getting dried beetroot 'crisps' from a health food shop might be a good alternative? They would still have veg oil but would only be beetroot with a little oil? Come to think of it I bet rabbits would love all the vegetable 'crisps' u can get! As long as they're not salted and given sparingly I can't c why not? Anyone have any opinions??

Perhaps getting dried beetroot 'crisps' from a health food shop might be a good alternative? They would still have veg oil but would only be beetroot with a little oil? Come to think of it I bet rabbits would love all the vegetable 'crisps' u can get! As long as they're not salted and given sparingly I can't c why not? Anyone have any opinions??

Yes I can see a reason, I have yet to find any veg crisp without added SALT.

Dried herbs are a much better bet if you like feeding dry crispy treats:thumb:

sorry if this is considered off topic or "thread hijacking" but,

i wanted to order some treats and stuff from Thehayexperts however im living in Toronto, Canada... does anyone know if they ship here?

Yes I can see a reason, I have yet to find any veg crisp without added SALT.

Dried herbs are a much better bet if you like feeding dry crispy treats:thumb:

Aah right :roll: I hadn't looked into it was just an idea! I think this has been mentioned before but mine love plain ryvita crackers! Only occasionally but they go mad for them and I love listening to them munching away at them :lol:

Aah right :roll: I hadn't looked into it was just an idea! I think this has been mentioned before but mine love plain ryvita crackers! Only occasionally but they go mad for them and I love listening to them munching away at them :lol:

It's a pain isn't it?

If you do ever see any without salt please do let me know! I love crispy veg but I cannot stand salt! Ick yuk pah!:lol:

I don't think it'll do them any harm if it's only a few every now and again. They do get a few naughty treats here and there! (Toast very occasionally has the corner of my toast crust :) )

I was appalled by some of the stuff in the garden centre today. (Went to get a rose for Mischa's grave. Didn't have much choice in the garden centre that doesn't sell animals :( So had to go to a different one, ironically the one we got Mischa from.) Even some Naturals stuff has egg derivatives in. Then they had a range I haven't seen before. Initially I thought it was packets of sweets, thats how much colour was there! It was all flavoured yoghurt drops and sugar laden stuff.

I was up for spending some money on Mini but only came out with some Fenugreek Crunchies. I'd rather get dried stuff which they did have there but had already bought some from my hay place.

Weirdly enough, and I don't mean to scare-monger here, but this was what my rabbit was eating when he got bloat :(

Unfortunately all rabbits are susceptible to bloat and it is unknown which ones will get it and which ones will never suffer. Trying to minimise risk by keeping on a more natural diet which is high in fibre and lower in carbs and sugars will help.

Some people can manage to get away with feeding all the 'wrong' things to a rabbit without any problem but others cannot do this.

Feeding rabbits is about getting a good balance to minimise risks and maintaining a good consistent diet without making too many changes.

Back