• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My new baby bunny

Status
Not open for further replies.

>][Sly][<

Young Bun
hi guys, im new here and i need help ASAP. 1 hava a pair rabbit named
Poppy(Girl) and Sam(Boy). this morning, when i visit the pet shop, i saw a very cute little bunny. about 1 month old. and she's the only one left. her brother's and sister's was sold a week ago. and i feel like she's alone so i decided to bought her and named her Elly. when i got home, i introduce my new baby bunny to my pair rabbit outside the cage.. my pair rabbit is inside the cage, and they are sniffing to the new baby bunny outside. then i decided to put her (Elly) on the cage, sam (Boy) sniff on her an seems fine. but then poppy (Girl) came on rush and push the baby rabbit away. and as usual the baby rabbit ran and poppy keeps on chasing her, so i grabbed poppy on rush away from the baby rabbit. but then sam is starting to act so weird and starting to bite me, seems like his mad at me not on the baby bunny. is it because he might think that i was trying to eat her pair? idk what just happened. all i want is for them to welcome the new baby bunny.. any advice guys?

Bonding rabbits can be a tricky business.

You put the baby bun into your other two's cage. This is their territory and they won't be happy with any other rabbit coming into their space.

I'd remove her straight away and put her out of sight until they calm down.

Are your established pair neutered? It's imperative that they are, to stop them breeding, and in the doe, to prevent uterine cancer. Keep Elly away from them in a seperate hutch until she has been spayed (6 months old) and then when her hormones have died down you can introduce her to your pair in neutral territory. This should be a small pen (4ftx2ft) that none of them has ever been in, in an area where they aren't familiar with.
:wave:

If the baby is really 1 month old then it is FAR too young to be separated from mum and FAR to young to even consider bonding with other rabbits (other than babies). They should stay with mum until 8 weeks old.

I would suggest not trying to bond the baby until after she is spayed and then learning how to do it properly.

For now though, she needs some proper TLC because she is so, so young and so vulnerable.

Perhaps a visit to the vets may be in order for the little one to see if they believe her to be as young as the pet shop say. And some advice on how to care for her if she is.

Good luck.

Perhaps a visit to the vets may be in order for the little one to see if they believe her to be as young as the pet shop say. And some advice on how to care for her if she is.

Good luck.

If she is that young, then she just needs the same diet she was on previously (no milk of any type) and very minimal stress. Diet wise, unlimited hay and pellets that are not limited (and fed in a bowl). A heat source (such as a snugglesafe) can also be good and a cuddly toy to snuggle with.

Also, strict quarantine would be recommended, but it might be too late for that.

If the baby is really 1 month old then it is FAR too young to be separated from mum and FAR to young to even consider bonding with other rabbits (other than babies). They should stay with mum until 8 weeks old.

I would suggest not trying to bond the baby until after she is spayed and then learning how to do it properly.

For now though, she needs some proper TLC because she is so, so young and so vulnerable.

im kinda new to the rabbit world, what do you mean by TLC? and yeah, the girl in-charge in the pet shop said Elly is 1 month old.

and i guess i have no choice. but to wait till Elly is older enough so that i can introduce her to the pair. its not bad to have 2 female and 1 male right?

Last edited:
Can you post a pic of her? People on here will be able to tell you how old they think she is ...only 1 month is very young.

Not another pet shop selling underage buns :cry:

This is why my 7 month old bunny 'Cloud' died because she was taken away from her Mother to early and didn't get the goodness she so needed from her Mothers milk and ended up with bacteria in her gut and a poor immune system and now she's gone :cry:

Please do not think that i am trying to be rude by any means, but this is exactly the type of thing that frustrates me. People (and im using this as a general statement) going out and getting rabbits before they even know what they are doing.. Rabbit from a pet store? theres the first mistake.

a) how old are the other two rabbits? are they spayed and neutered?
b)have you taken the baby to the vets to determine any health issues and to make sure that the pet store did not lie to you? trust me. it happens.
c)did you have accommodations for the baby rabbit before you bought it?

just looking out for your pets. good luck.

Please do not think that i am trying to be rude by any means, but this is exactly the type of thing that frustrates me. People (and im using this as a general statement) going out and getting rabbits before they even know what they are doing.. Rabbit from a pet store? theres the first mistake.

b)have you taken the baby to the vets to determine any health issues and to make sure that the pet store did not lie to you? trust me. it happens.

Can I just say that we rescued Cloud from a pet shop :cry:

I don't think the OP is from England & the OP took on the bunny as she was left in the petshop the OP was concerned for the bunny.

There's nothing we can do, only try and help the owner.

TLC= Tender Loving Care, so just basically be really careful, careful with her diet, environment, stress levels, etc. If you follow what I said before then you will hopefully be fine. Its what I've followed for several young bunnies without mum and they have all done fine :)

I have two females and a male living together, but would only recommend it if the girls are spayed and the boy neutered.

Are your original pair spayed and neutered?

Not another pet shop selling underage buns :cry:

This is why my 7 month old bunny 'Cloud' died because she was taken away from her Mother to early and didn't get the goodness she so needed from her Mothers milk and ended up with bacteria in her gut and a poor immune system and now she's gone :cry:

im sorry or your loss bro :cry:

as what i said, im kinda new to the rabbit world. and i want to learn, because i love them :D

what do you mean by Neutered and spayed?

as what i said, im kinda new to the rabbit world. and i want to learn, because i love them :D

what do you mean by Neutered and spayed?

What country do you live in?

Neutering (for boys) and spaying (for girls) is a medical procedure that ensures they can not parent a baby rabbit. For girls it involves removing the uterus and ovaries and cuts the 80% risk of hormonal issues. For boys it involves removing the 'contents' of the testicles.

If you're new to buns then getting a good reliable rabbit book is the first step, there are many around some are too basic and give inaccurate information. The forum is a great place to start but many differing opinions may be confusing to start with. There is so much to learn so you need to start with the basics. If your male and female have not been desexed they will have lots of babies, which you will have difficulty keeping once these offspring start to breed then their children will also have babies and you will end up with hundreds of rabbits! I'd separate your two rabbits if they haven't had an operation to stop them breeding. I would find a safe secure place away from your other rabbits and pets for the baby rabbit-making sure there are no objects it can chew, choke on, and no electricity cables it may get an electric shock from. Then make sure all your buns have the right feed, lots of fresh hay and water-a bed from straw or a fleece blanket, and a toilet area. Then plan your next move, getting them checked at the vets, if you can afford to get your female and the baby looked at separately do this first. Make sure baby is healthy and female is not pregnant. You can then plan to get them desexed, have injections against disease and buy better cages and lots of toys. It's overwhelming and doing some research first would have helped but it's too late now so just concentrate on each day as it comes. Good on you for taking in a poor pet shop bunny. I did too today, he was at pets at home in with the stock-covered in rat pee-head ears face! And he looked so sad crammed into a small pen with 8 others who were all playing and relaxed. I wasn't going to leave him in that state-he's now content, will have a vet check and most importantly he'll have everything a pet shop didn't give him-regardless of what some think on buying pet shop animals-they need help too and at least this one will never suffer again or end up in a rescue! Had he not been in such a sorry state I wouldn't have funded their trade, but it's not his fault and he neede someone to help him :(

What country do you live in?

Neutering (for boys) and spaying (for girls) is a medical procedure that ensures they can not parent a baby rabbit. For girls it involves removing the uterus and ovaries and cuts the 80% risk of hormonal issues. For boys it involves removing the 'contents' of the testicles.

Sky, OP is from Asia :wave:

i live in philippines.. :D

so OP wont let them to have a babies? but i want my pair to have bunnies.. :love:

so are you saying they haven't been spayed and neutered? have you researched everything you need to know about breeding buns? how long have you had them both??

sorry for all the questions, just trying to get the full picture :) x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back