• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not a full shilling?

Mrs Ord

Mama Doe
This sounds really mean but I don't think Carlisle is "all there" How can you tell? The vet checked him before his injections and said he was fine but he's a bit of a strange egg :?

These are the strange things he doe's that none of my girlies do;

1. He holds his head up then it slowly sinks down and to the side (like he's falling asleep) then he corrects himself straigtens up and off it goes again. This happens a lot and its when I'm talking to him and he knows i'm there so don't think he is actually falling asleep.

2. He is pretty clumsy. He ran in to a door (he was in a panic and it was frosted glass so sort of understandable) and he crashes around when he's running off loosing his footing everynow and then.

3. Sometimes I think he doesn't see me. I can be right in front of him and its like hes somewhere else then he suddenly realises i'm there and runs off this happens quite a lot and its for a good 30 seconds to a minute.

4. Sometimes I think he doesn't hear me. Just the same as above. I can talk for ages and then its like he suddenly realises i'm there.

5. He sleeps a lot. Seriously he would rather snooze on top of the hutch in the shed than be out in the garden binkying with the girls. He just wan't to slob around all the time.

6. He's a scruff :lol: The girls clean and groom themselves all the time. He rolls about in the dirt, digs and gets his poo's stuck all over himself. I even had to clean one off his face yesterday :shock: Is it just a young boy thing?

Anyway help would be appreciated. Hes a REW so might explain the sight and hearing (is it true they tend to have poor hearing and eyesight or is that a myth?)

Hmm does sound like he might be abit poor of sight and hearing, poor boy :(
as long as he's happy and healthy i wouldnt worry about it, just be aware and make special allowances for your special mans needs :wave:

Oh he runs funny as well. He doesn't really hop but he runs like a cat or a dog would using all his legs separately :?

I would take him back to the vets if it were me and describe all these things to the vet, it may that he is a bit hard of hearing and has poor eyesight but it could also be something else so worth a quick check.

He's in for a castration at the end of the month so i'll ask a few more questions then. He's genarally fine and seems happy enough just not quite right thats all. Maybe he just has funny ways about him.

Is he REW???
Just that Lily Shane is a REW and her sight is poor...plus she scans.....

Scans??
Is that where the eyes wander from one side to the other then flick back and start again? He does that as well but couldn't think how to describe it. He is a REW yes.

Is that a really bad thing? Scanning? How do you deal with your REW?

Oh bless you!!! No, its not a bad thing.REWS are commonly known for Scanning!! I thought Lily was brain damaged and asked on here!!!!
Its just your bunnies sight is poor....all REWS differ with sight....Albino humans have sight problems too.Its to what amount they are poorly sighted..How bad could vary.
I let Lily Shane do whatever she fancies......I know she can see me...just how much I dont know, but she has had a few variances with her life recently...bonded and now alone cos of her health problems...she has chronic snuffles and kyphosis of the spine...she is disabled by this condition.Gets cold and eats slowly due to teeth probs aswell.Lily has it all!!!
Tell me more about your boy???

Oh and Lily is a scruff too...BB cleaned her up nicely, now shes a grub worm again....but she cant bend too easily...she does bend..just she cant stand bent for too long to groom....and when she periscopes she tends to topple over a bit....

He gets on pretty well. He likes his shed and plays in his tunnels eats all his food up and uses his litter tray. He is a well behaved bunny. He is very scared of me though. If he's not seeing or hearing me straight away then that might be why he's scared of me. I always try to make a noise when I go in because I suspected hearing and sight problems quite early on. I've had him for about two and a half weeks now and he is slightly better than when I first got him. Once he's in the garden he really comes out of his shell and doesn't seem to strugle with sight or sound maybe because its a lot brighter. His ears are all over listening to the birds and other outside nioses. He's not that interested in the girls though which I thought was strange since he's not castrated and they wern't spayed at the time (lilly now is) He only took an interest when they were right in front of him and even then he loses interest very quickly despite their best efforts :lol:

Did it take a while for lily to trust you at first?

Lily and trust is a big issue.Shes a rescue and lucky to be alive.The people I got her from used to handle her....and pass her round a sort of petting zoo.I cant go into it on here really as its a public forum.
With me, she now goes bananas when I wake up....yelling for breakfast and attention.HATES being given medication but she has to have it currently..her and I have bonded so very well.Her zest for life is amazing......my vet thought she was heading for the Bridge 3 weeks ago.........:shock: and shes bounced back.

Ah bless her what a little fighter. I love to hear about buns getting a happy ever after!!!

Well you've made me feel a lot better about Carlisle. I now feel pretty confident that given time he'll feel safe with me. He's being castrated and will have to spend time indoors after that so he'll hopefully get used to me and my oh then maybe even like us :shock: :lol: Its not important for him to like us really though he's for Lilly so as long as he likes her and vice versa thats the main thing. Shes very snuggly so he might pick up good habits from her as well.

Thanks for helping

Just take your time...he has got sight probs by the sounds.....not sure about hearing.....possibly.
But he sounds a gorgous fella.Trust will come.Its only been a coupla weeks.xxxxx

Back