• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unusual mycobactrial infection of GI tract presenting as dysautonomia.

Judy I'm so sorry the ultrasound result isn't that positive for Thumper :(

I've been thinking of you and Thumper all day and wondering how it went. I can't comment on the information on this thread as it's way over my head, but I am sending you millions of vibes for Thumper and hoping that with your help and Marie's support he can stay strong and get through this.

Big hugs. xx

May I ask, is the ultrasound performed under a GA, light sedation, or with bunny full conscious?

I hope that with lots of natural fibre sources (thumps's wild diet) you can get his motility up and hopefully kick start that caecal emptying. If there are any plants that would be of help that I could pick and dry from the garden or allotment please do say.
Am glad Thumper is relaxed enough after all his vet trips (he's coping remarkably well with it all isn't he) to have a good flop. :D

May I ask, is the ultrasound performed under a GA, light sedation, or with bunny full conscious?

I hope that with lots of natural fibre sources (thumps's wild diet) you can get his motility up and hopefully kick start that caecal emptying. If there are any plants that would be of help that I could pick and dry from the garden or allotment please do say.
Am glad Thumper is relaxed enough after all his vet trips (he's coping remarkably well with it all isn't he) to have a good flop. :D

Ultrasound is performed concious. Thumps has such thick fur that he had to have his tummy shaved but this need not be necessary. I'm impressed by it. Tongue in cheek, I'm wondering whether it's helped to get things moving. The wastes are fine, it's the caecs that are badly up the spout.

it's the caecs that are badly up the spout.

I can hear that, and i'm sure it is most worrying. I suppose I was thinking that increasing gut motility in the rest of the bowel would hopefully have a knock-on effect on caecal emptying and may kick start some life into the flaccid part of the caecum. :?

Thank you for the ultrasound info... very important to know. :)
Would you like me to send you some pro-fibre pellets to try with Thumps? I think Bobble G suggested the same thing.... I've been meaning to reply by email, sorry, sometimes it's quicker by RU! :wave:

Mr Nino's droppings have been huge and consistent since his GA on monday! I do believe that white-coat syndrome is highly effective on rabbits! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Ah such elegant phraseology, from the legal profession. Why are doctors so basic? All I could manage is "scares the poops out of them":lol::lol:

I'm sorry the news wasn't better :(
I know you will do everything you can to keep Thumper well and happy for as long as possible. I have all fingers, toes and paws crossed that Thumper will get through this and maybe even help others who may do battle with this disease in the future.
Thinking of you and your special little man xx

Sorry to hear the ultrasound findings were cause for more concern.

You really are doing everything you can and it sounds as though Thumper is being a tough little soldier! :)

As Pretty Lupin said, Thumper is more than welcome to sample some of our nice Pro-fibre pellets if you'd like to give them a go. They come highly recommended by Bob!

Sorry folks. I've been catching up on sleep, went foraging, & discovered a side effect of having a poorly bun. My bunny trousers have felt a bit loose of late. There was a complete descent in full view of a new housing estate.:lol:

Thumper's been on good form last night & this afternoon:oops:
He's started to drink since he emptied his bladder fully with some sludge & grit (ouch) at the ultrasound yesterday.

There was only 1 "splat" of a large ball of waste poops mixed with tarry caecotroph stuff.
Output of waste poops is about 3/4 normal volume, & fussy mummy passes them as normal for him.

I'm pleased with his eating.
I'm still moistening his dry pellets. I Measure out his daily ration & then give it in small amounts throughout the day. He's not too interested in them.
Currently eating wild oats leaves +++ (leaves a similar looking grass I get by mistake 'till the end) Bramble leaves ++ on demand, & a substantial amount of hawthorn leaves.
Since restarting metacam he'll leave several dandelion flower heads. [This bun knows what he's doing - dandelion flowers are said to be mild analgesics]
Annoyingly I haven't seen him eat his caecs for ages. He usually turns his back to me, but the give away is the tail postition. He sits with his tail underneath, like a plate to catch the caecs!:lol:

I've been getting myself together psychologically. I never won a game of chess at uni. but was playing some very bright minds in the earliest beginnings of robotics when home computers were a distant fantasy. But I could keep them at the board for 4 hours!
Thumper & I shall play out a different end game. He won't lose 1 second of life more than I can help. I've all of you from RU, with suggestions & much needed encouragement cheering us onwards, & I've got a top vet.

Although his condition is either uncommon or rarely diagnosed, the principals of treatment & management are the same for any other bun with poor caecal motility/stasis issues.
I hope others will feel able to meet & discuss their issues, hopefully with much much better prospects of a permanent solution, as we walk this road together for a while.
Thumper has helped several humans & bunnies in his short life. I know he wants to help others now.

ETA the other important aspect of helping his gut is excercise. He tires more easily now, so I've split play /excercise into 4 shorter periods in the garden of 20 mins each. A hop round really helps to get the poops out 7 then some food in.

Last edited:
You and Thumps are both doing your utmost... you are very lucky to have each other and your special relationship. Thumps is such an emotionally strong little bun, I believe he can fight anything, and with your support he has every chance.
Just pleased to read you are both ok and had a good rest - you both need it x

I am certain that aswell as any medical treatment Thumper has the love and devotion given to him by you will make so much difference to him. He is one special Bunny :love:

Thank you for your encouragement every one.
Yes I think Thumps is special. He's got such a big fan club of all ages of people. I daren't tell them yet.

Today you wouldn't know there was anything wrong. There's been no caecal material at all, & his poops are normal for his diet. He's returned to frequent snacking & eating loads of brambles. Not enough wee for my liking, but that is all.

Thank you for your very kind offer of pellets with probiotics Bobble G & Pretty lupin. I'm a bit wary of introducing anything new at the mo. but may well do so in the near future.

I'm totally flummoxed by what is going on. Thumper has a non functioning caecum, but there is little to show for it symptomatically. His poops were infinately worse 2 years ago before I found Marie. [For 6 weeks he oozed foul smelling dark olive green "toothpaste" with hardly any waste poops. Because the GP vet couldn't help, I started the "wild diet" concept.]
The waste poops show perfect fiber separation, & are dry & friable.
He must be eating the fine nutrient component, but I can't understand how, if he hasn't got a caecum working to ferment it in. :?:?:?:?

I'm trying to use all the things that helped us through that period as well as Zantac to get things under control again.

If nothing else we are an unusual team of vet, owner & bunny. I'm asking Thumps to select the right plants to help him, but as I can't free range him in the countryside, he relies on me to bring the right stuff in. He doesn't want any old grass, he goes for specific grasses, but varies the mix from day to day. I can only identify about 20 different field grasses, & sometimes get the wrong sort. (I think there are over 1000 different "grasses".) To be honest I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but I don't know what his tummy feels like, & can't detect subtle changes in the smell of his poops like he can.

It's at times like this I wish I knew more, so I could help him more.

Back