• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming- Anything Spot on available?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I wondered if anyone knows of anything spot on available for worming? Pancur is so hard to use with my bunnies. They really don't like it.

Are you using the paste for rabbits? Mine will eat this no problem, especially if you put it on a tasty herb leaf - Sage, Lemon Balm, Coriander - have you tried that?

Are you using the panacur for treating worms or preventing/treating EC?

I did not know there was a different panacur for treating EC and one for worming, I have the one for worming although asked for treatment for EC, Ling Jai hates it even when it's topped on his rich tea biscuilt:roll:

No theres not a different one for EC or Worming they are one in the same.

I'd choose something more flavoursome and aromatic than a biscuit to disguise the smell and taste.

I did not know there was a different panacur for treating EC and one for worming, I have the one for worming although asked for treatment for EC, Ling Jai hates it even when it's topped on his rich tea biscuilt:roll:

Its one and the same-just depends how long you're using it for-9, 28 days or 6 weeks.Wouldnt work as a spot on as the drug has to be taken internally

Just for preventing worms, but i want something easier as i'm going to be having more bunnies soon.

I use spot on mite stuff, xeno i think it is. I also use advantage spot on for flea treatment, but worming i struggle with pancur giving it the way the vets suggest, in the mouth directly.

I never thought to put in on some veg :) Thanks will try that

There is no spot on wormer for bunnies i'm afraid :(

You could try a different wormer tho. There is one called Lapizole (your vet will be able to order one in for you). It is aniseed flavour and most bunnies love it and take it really well. It is a liquid, used to be in a spray form but now they provide a little syringe that attaches to the bottle top so you can draw up required amount, then squirt it in their mouth!

My vet suggested very finely grating a small piece of carrot, dabbing out a bit of the moisture if necessary and recombine using the Panacur paste.

Only takes a few seconds, and the Buns love it.

(I make it up separately for each bun, to be sure they each get the right dose)

Last edited:
Lapizole is fine if you've got a small bunny BUT for larger breeds (2-4kg) you need to give a huge amount of liquid to give the correct dose. Personally, I'd stick with Panacur paste or liquid.

Thanks, i do prefer liquids as i'm used to administering antibiotics, but i end up getting paste all over the place, i'm not sure if they end up getting that much of it, which concerns me. Although they don't have worms as far as i know. I know routine prevention is important.

My Panacur trick is a bit long-winded but it works. I always use Panacur liquid 10% and I inject the required dosage into a mini-shredded wheat. Leave it to dry overnight and give it to the bunny the next day (they won't eat it when it's soggy :roll:). This method is time consuming as it takes AGES to inject such a small amount of liquid into the cereal without it all leaking out BUT it's never failed me yet. The added bonus is they NEVER usually get such treats but they think it's Christmas and birthday all rolled into one when mummy gives them shredded wheat for 9 days!!

Back