• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Daft question. Can buns eat lawn daisies

Hmm this is interesting! Guinea Pigs are not supposed to eat daisies I presumed it would be the same for buns!

I was going to say that daisies were safe (my lawn is full of them :oops:) but couldn't find the info to back it up. Buttercups are a no no, so I have to pull them up if I spot one.

Well apparently when I was a little toddler I ate daisies, I would have thought as a wild flower it wouldn't hurt providing it was in moderation. I wouldn't panick if I saw a bunny eating one or two personally. You can always check this with your vet, the way I think about it is that they can eat dandelion and other wild flowers and daisies are quite small just not too many at once I think. Parsnipbun would know I think.

My 1st. vets wasn't bunny trained but had a part time vet nurse devoted solely to buns & who gave free advice re. bunny diet, husbandry & general care.
She told me that lawn daisies were safe, & that the leaves are high in proteins.
I have never ever seen any advice that daisies aren't safe.

There is often a difference of opinion about what is safe for rabbits to eat. It is a difficult subject.
Some reasons are:

Very little research has been done specifically about rabbits & what they actually eat, except a short note in "The private life of the rabbit" which is a very old book, long out of print. I haven't been successful in obtaining the original, very full research done by a botanist using wild rabbit pooh!.

Some parts of a plant may be fine, but other parts are either poisonous, or become poisonous at a particular stage of growth eg after seeding. It may be unwise eg very hard seeds can break teeth.
It's even more complicated in that a small number of rabbits can inactivate the poisons in individual plants. eg 4% of wild rabbits can inactivate the poison in creeping buttercup. DON'T TRY IT!!!!

I agree that lawn daisies are safe. The leaves are a little high in protein = just watch for foul, uneaten caecotrophs, & be aware of it.

My own criteria have been to visit the many wild warrens in this area & notice which plants are eaten out & which are avoided.
I know 3 large warrens where there are lots of oxeye daisies, (Wild Margerite) in their grazing area. The wild rabbits avoid them completely to the extent that the oxeye daisies took over in 1 area & the rabbits had to move!

There are some good threads about wild plants in the diet section. Those recommended are 101% safe, without controversy & easy to identify.

There is often a difference of opinion about what is safe for rabbits to eat. It is a difficult subject.
Some reasons are:

Very little research has been done specifically about rabbits & what they actually eat, except a short note in "The private life of the rabbit" which is a very old book, long out of print. I haven't been successful in obtaining the original, very full research done by a botanist using wild rabbit pooh!.

Some parts of a plant may be fine, but other parts are either poisonous, or become poisonous at a particular stage of growth eg after seeding. It may be unwise eg very hard seeds can break teeth.
It's even more complicated in that a small number of rabbits can inactivate the poisons in individual plants. eg 4% of wild rabbits can inactivate the poison in creeping buttercup. DON'T TRY IT!!!!

I agree that lawn daisies are safe. The leaves are a little high in protein = just watch for foul, uneaten caecotrophs, & be aware of it.

My own criteria have been to visit the many wild warrens in this area & notice which plants are eaten out & which are avoided.
I know 3 large warrens where there are lots of oxeye daisies, (Wild Margerite) in their grazing area. The wild rabbits avoid them completely to the extent that the oxeye daisies took over in 1 area & the rabbits had to move!

There are some good threads about wild plants in the diet section. Those recommended are 101% safe, without controversy & easy to identify.

Hey, lovely to see you xx

Hey Thumps! Im not on here often as I would like..so good to see you! :) hope you are well...:wave:

Oh Wow!! I'm really surprised you all remember me!!!!! Thank you.
The truth is that I've nothing more to say, despite my propensity for long posts. :oops::lol:

Unlike so many of you who have such a broad base of experience, mine is very limited.
I also found it difficult on health, because I seemed to get to know your buns, & felt very sad when they left us. I remember so many very fondly.

I'm not so much coming back as looking in from time to time. Thank you all so much.

Back