• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Detal bun owners. Lop or upright ears?

Dental bun owners. Lop or upright ears?

• Lop.

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Upright.

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Helecoptor

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
Awww, thank you! I'm panicking right now cuz they're having their dentals today. :(

Actually I think they eat about an equal amount of hay, if anything Ginger eats more! They're very annoying though because they only eat it fresh from the packet - anything more than an hour old is treated with great suspition! :roll: They also refused point blank to eat any hay at all until they were about 4, (they're 6 now). I don't know of course whether this made a difference, but it can't have helped the situation.

Good luck Ginger and Pickles, I hope you recover quickly:love:

I wonder why they refused and then ate hay:? Funny bunnies.

ETA One of the things that make these two so cute is their dished nose. (Kind of like an Arab horse.) Maybe that is why:?

Last edited:
Lionel, Lolly and Joseph are all up eared Lionheads and are dental buns.
Maddie cannot decide if she is a lop or not and her ears go all over the place, she is a dental bun
My mums bun Richie is a lop and he is a dental bun so its all 3 for me!

Lionel, Lolly and Joseph are all up eared Lionheads and are dental buns.
Maddie cannot decide if she is a lop or not and her ears go all over the place, she is a dental bun
My mums bun Richie is a lop and he is a dental bun so its all 3 for me!

I have never really been near Lion Heads, apart from the babies they sell in pet shops:roll:

Are they a small bread or snub faced, or just a regular shaped head?

I have never really been near Lion Heads, apart from the babies they sell in pet shops:roll:

Pedigree lionheads were originally bred from Nethies to make them small (hence the dental problems I'd imagine), but you get lots of different long haired crossbreeds these days, including lionlops

My Nethie girl is a dental bun....and if we dont keep an eye on them,Mrs Bun will be too.(Mrs B is a Lionhead cross breed with I have no idea!)

Lionheads are generally small, Lionel is crossed with a nethie he is only 664g Lolly is a big girl thought she is 2.2kg and Joseph is about the same.
Maddie my lop has a bit of a snub face, one of those cute little squishy ones!

Thumper is a cross breed dental bun. He has malocclusion (jaws don't meet properly) which is probably congenital. His ears can be every possible position.
He has several lop features. His muzzle is 1/2 way between a small lop & a nonlop.

I have one of each

Frankie, uppy eared lionhead cross, had a dental just before Christmas, but I am hoping it was a one off.

Cherry is a dwarf lop, and she has dentals 4-8 weeks. the timings are getting longer between though:love:

Out of all the buns ive had 4 of the 6 were dental bunnies :(
Millie and Thumper (2 not dentals) are the mum and dad and their babies - Fudge, Skye, Blackie and Gizmo are all dental bunnies!

Skye, Blackie and Gizmo great hay eaters, Fudge hates hay and will only eat dried herbs so she gets a large variety of them.

All Mini lops with squished faces.

Fudge is the worst her molars are a mess but her dentals are getting further apart which i think is due to the large quantities of dried herbs she eats now than she did.

Skye has a constant watery eye due to tooth roots so did Blackie and Fudge did have a watery eye but it cleared up and comes back after dentals.

With my lot its due to bad genetics and no matter what its not going to get better :cry:

Hi,

Catkin is a lionhead with very fluffy uppy ears and is a dental bun.

Daz has had molar spurs and is a helicopter. Although since his dental, he has increased his hay consumption and it seems to have sorted it.

I didn't think of nethies, or I would have put that as an option:roll:

Hope Esme escapes the need for any more dentals:)

i just voted for uppy eared:)

i'm hoping neither bun will need one for a very long time - very stressful (eric doesn't eat for ages afterwards and esme became the bun from hell after hers for a few days:( yes, i did take her back for extra pain relief and checks:)).

Good luck Ginger and Pickles, I hope you recover quickly:love:

I wonder why they refused and then ate hay:? Funny bunnies.

ETA One of the things that make these two so cute is their dished nose. (Kind of like an Arab horse.) Maybe that is why:?

It could be I suppose - I don't know enough about it! It is weird that it's when they started eating hay they developed the spurs! :roll:

Noby realises when they buy a cute bunny from the petshop for £10, how much they're really letting themselves in for. The rabbits have cost us more so far than our 3 dogs and 2 horses! :shock:

Back