• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I lost my beloved Yuki yesterday

Sakura6267

Warren Scout
It was so quick and horrible. I was syringe feeding him and I picked him up to bring him back downstairs. He almost jumped over my shoulder, and I reached up to grab him. When I did, I heard a loud snap and knew his leg was broken. He jumps like this often, and I didn't grab him that hard, just to prevent him from flying over my shoulder, so I can't understand why his leg would break. I just can't understand what happened. He didn't even jump that much, just a little jump and his leg was broken! He's jumped much more before and didn't break anything, why now? I rushed him to our local vet who confirmed that his femur was broken. The doctor immediately told me that he was not a candidate for bone surgery because he was already so sick with his dental problems. He was in such severe pain yesterday and the day before that I had to bring him in to get a special pain relief injection. He wouldn't eat or drink anything on his own since Monday afternoon and I had to syringe him Critical Care. It took him such a long time to wake up from his tooth burring on Tuesday, never had it taken that long before. And after that he was in more pain than ever even with the Metacam. He wasn't his happy go lucky self at all anymore. He would just sit hunched up. When the vet told me it was best to have him put to sleep because he wouldn't survive the surgery, I just broke down. I never had to make the decision to put a pet to sleep before in my life, and I just couldn't do it. I know it was selfish, but I had to get a second opinion and rushed him to the vet in the city where there was a rabbit expert doctor. She gave me the same diagnosis as my local vet, saying even if he survived the surgery, he would not be able to recover and die from the pain after. She gave him a 10% survival rate for the surgery. He had already been hard to wake up after being on GA for just 15 minutes, he would never survive a whole hour. She showed me the x-ray and he didn't just have a break, the bone was actually splintering and she said it would just keep cracking like that and his leg would have to be amputated which would require another surgery if he survived the first one. I had to decide right there and then because she told me the leg would be causing him unbearable pain soon and they couldn't just leave him like that. I decided to have him put to sleep at my local vet so at least he would be close to home. It took 45 minutes to get back, and I held him in my arms the whole way. This was the hardest thing I ever had to do, and I've never been so sad in my life. The people at my local vet were so kind and understanding. They knew exactly how much I loved this little bunny. He was my baby. I just can't stop crying. The pain is unbearable. I just can't stand it! I have to clean up his cage today. It's too painful even walking past the room he lived in, and it's worse seeing the cage. I always see him hopping around all happy everytime I look at it, and I see him when I close my eyes. I hardly slept last night, I can't eat, I feel so alone and the sadness is overwhelming me. This little bunny was my life. He brought me so much joy. He was so special. Why did he have to die this way? I knew the dental disease he had was serious and he would eventually die from it, but this happened too fast and I feel so shocked. I also feel so guilty. Maybe I should have tried to put him through surgery. Maybe a miracle would have happened and he would have made it and recovered. At least I wouldn't have had to be the one giving them permission to end his precious little life. God I miss him so much. I just can't cope with this pain. I feel like my whole world has ended. He has been with me for over 7 years. He was my constant companion. I don't know how I'm going to live without him. It hurts so much. There's just nothing that can ease this pain. My heart is so broken I doubt it will ever mend. Goodbye my sweet little Yuki-chan. I know you're happy in heaven, but I miss you so much.

Oh my your post about your little bun made me well up :cry:
By the sounds of it, you done all you could for Yuki, you will drive yourself mad thinking about the what if's.
At some point you'll be able to smile and look back on the amazing 7 years you had with Yuki right now I know it will seem like you wont get to that stage but you will with time.
Don't clean the cage out until you feel you can cope with it, well thats my suggestion.

Just think Yuki will be at the bridge all healthy and looking down on you.
Binky free Yuki xx

Dont beat yourself up for your loss. Things have a strange way of turning themselves around and perhaps you have saved him from going through too much pain, he would of known 7 years of love and thats a fantastic thing. I too had to make a decision like yours regarding a bunnies double broken back leg, I made the PTS decision for the bunny and not for me, you have made the same decision and for the bunnies sake you have done the right thing, you should hold your head up high. Grief is a horrible emotion and I give you all the sympathy I can.

RIP Yuki

omg .... I am so, so sorry - I'm crying for you :cry: All I can say is, no matter what you think, it's not your fault and you obviously loved and cared for your bunny very much - I feel for you as I've felt this pain myself, although under different circumstances. Your bunny would have felt your love, you should keep that in mind xxx

Thank you for the sympathy. I just can't bear this grief. It's like nothing I've ever felt before. I've had pets die before, but not one that I had for such a long time, and one that I was so attached and connected to. He was such a sweet bunny. He never bit me, ever. He was so affectionate and gave me bunny kisses all the time. He loved to binky and hop around, and he was so happy and smart. I just can't believe he's gone. I seriously can't deal with it. This is such a deep sorrow. Oh it hurts so bad. I just don't know how I can go on without him. I wish my tears could bring him back to me.

Oh, I'm so sorry :cry::cry:
My Ruby broke her leg by pulling on a cage bar - the vet said that she must have had bone cancer for that to happen.
We also opted not to have her leg amputated, but to PTS as her prognosis wasn't good anyway adn her quality of life would have been nil.
It was a very hard decision, just as your was, but I know it was the best thing for my Ruby, and it was the right thing for Yuki too. A very brave and selfless decision.
Binky free Yuki.

I think he may have had the beginning of arthritis for his leg to break so easily, especially a jump that he's done a thousand times before. His pain and illness must have made his bones even more brittle, and I do think his organs were shutting down because of the pain. Whenever I gave him Critical Care before, he would start pooping and peeing normally. He didn't this time. Even though I know he was very sick and in pain, it doesn't lessen the hurt of losing him. I just miss him horribly and I just don't know how I'm going to get through this. He was my little baby. The grief is so overwhelming.

Here's the song "if tears could bring you back to me" that I've been listening to over and over since Yuki passed. I really think it's a good song for anyone who's lost a loved one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKyBBYp5auw

Im so sorry for your loss. It sounds like Yuki was your heart bunny...one that touches your heart so deeply and you form an unusually strong bond. I had a cat that affected me that way and it took me 8years to get over his loss. You have my every sympathy for the excruciating pain you are going through :( Yuki is no longer in any pain and he will always be with you in your heart and in your memories until you meet again at Rainbow Bridge x

I'm so very sorry Sakura 6267.
Yes I know how much you loved Yuki, & how you moved heaven and earth to keep him going this long, from your threads.

My heart goes out to you. I hope when the pain of loss subsides, you will have many many happy memories to treasure before he became so ill.

You have my most heart felt sympathy.

The only consolation is to think of the joy you brought each other and the bond exchanged.

Like all grief it will lessen in time but you will always feel the rawness of emotion at times. Without it though we are hollow.

In time I hope you will find the heart to welcome another such soul into your life and give again so freely.

Regards

Im so sorry for your loss. It sounds like Yuki was your heart bunny...one that touches your heart so deeply and you form an unusually strong bond.x

That is exactly right. Even my mom was mentioning that I had a very special bond with this bunny that I would probably not have with any other animal, even my cat who was born in our house and been with me for 18 years. I love him just as much as the bunny, but I don't share the connection with him as I did with Yuki. I feel that Yuki was my animal soul mate. He affected me so deeply. I spent so much time with him, like pretty much constant. He was hardly ever in his cage during the day. I was always cuddling him and playing with him. I have a disability that prevents me from going out much, and this bunny was my constant companion, my best friend, my sweet little baby, and he brought me an incredible amount of happiness. I know now that we're not suppose to buy bunnies from pet stores, but on the day I found Yuki, I had no intention of getting a bunny. He just stood out. I noticed he was the smallest one there, and he had such unique coloring, white with dark eyes. He did have a little grey around his nose, ears, and tail. I asked to hold him and he started licking me right away like a puppy! I looked into those eyes and felt a connection I never felt before with any living being, person or animal. I had to take him home with me.

I did try to do everything I could for him. I was very protective and fussy over him. I'm lucky my mom loves animals too and paid for most of the vet bills. I think she understood how deeply I loved him. I'm already thinking about the happy memories I had with him, but right now I miss him so much I can't bear to look at any pictures of him, that's why at the moment I can't post one here. This morning the pain was so overwhelming I was laying on the floor sobbing my heart out. I couldn't control it either. It hurts just too bad. I think I might have to get medication because I just can't cope. I can't eat, sleep, or really function at all except typing out my feelings here which is a temporary distraction from my emotions. I know grief lessens with time, but it will be an extremely long time before I can function normally again, as well as getting used to not having my baby with me anymore.

I know now that we're not suppose to buy bunnies from pet stores, but on the day I found Yuki, I had no intention of getting a bunny. He just stood out. I noticed he was the smallest one there, and he had such unique coloring, white with dark eyes. He did have a little grey around his nose, ears, and tail. I asked to hold him and he started licking me right away like a puppy! I looked into those eyes and felt a connection I never felt before with any living being, person or animal. I had to take him home with me.

I know exactly how that feels (that is how come I have Homer :love:) and to have a bond like that is unique and very special.

I am so very sorry for your loss, Yuki sound very special. My thoughts are with you.

Back