• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hairless Bunny

usagibunny

Young Bun
At the rabbit rescue where I volunteer, we recently got a hairless baby bunny. He seems to be thriving so far, but from everything we have looked up it seems like the mortality rate is high for hairless bunnies.

I know hairless bunnies are very rare, but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them, or knows of any who have made it to adulthood. Thanks for any help. We sure hope the little guy makes it! See Catalogue Specials and Offers this week to make sure you know the best prices.

Here is a picture of him.

willy.jpg

Last edited:
So then am I to assume that nobody has seen anything like this before?

It really is rare, but I was hoping somebody knew something about any health problems a hairless bunny would be more susceptible to, or anything really. Anyway, thanks for looking.

:shock: I think he is amazing :love::love: He is gorgeous with or without fur :love::love:

I have never seen a bun like this before but I have Oxo who has no hair follicles on parts of his body - his ears except for the tips grow no fur and his back - also his legs as they are crossed over :love:

I hope this little one does thrive and have a good life - I only wish he was over here 'cos I would offer him a home like a shot :love::love:

Please give him a cuddle from me :love:

So then am I to assume that nobody has seen anything like this before?

It really is rare, but I was hoping somebody knew something about any health problems a hairless bunny would be more susceptible to, or anything really. Anyway, thanks for looking.

Poor wee mite :cry:

I thankfully dont have any experience with the condition. As Rabbit's skin is very thin I'd guess injury is one big risk factor.
Obviously exposure to sunlight could be catastrophic :cry: Lack of sunlight exposure, in turn, may lead to problems in calcium metabolism resulting in osteoporosis and Dental Disease :cry:

I doubt he could ever be bonded with another Rabbit due to the risk of injury:cry::cry:

I hope he is happy in his own way

Last edited:
aww bless he is sooo cute. maybe in this weather making sure he is warm as at least other buns have winter coats

I've found that with Oxo we can give him little bits of time out in the sun, but not too much :D He also loves me to carry him around and I shade his back and his ears when we do this :D

He gets gentle massages to try and keep the blood flow even and this also checks his skin for sores:D

Possum, one of Oxo's siblings had no fur on part of his head but it did grow eventually and now he's a fluffball :love::love:

wow!! i didnt even think you could get hairless rabbits :shock: bless him :(

Don't like hairless things, they are so delicate and its a bit cruel :(

Fortunately, the little guy has two brothers to keep him warm, plus I think somebody is making sweaters for him.

From what I've heard when he was at the shelter he had a little more hair than when the rescue got him. He's just a little baby, maybe 6 weeks old or so (I'm not very good at aging bunnies, but that's what I'd guess).

I think everybody is pretty much stumped about his condition though. The lady that runs the rescue is a total bunny expert and she's never even seen this before. Anyway, thanks for all of the well wishes, I sure hope he continues to thrive.

Here is a pic of him with one of his brothers...

willybrother.jpg

Awwww bless him, he is just adorable :love: - I don't have any advice sadly, as it's the first time I've seen a hairless bunny, but I really hope he can have a happy life, no matter how long it may be xxx

It would be worth getting some tests run to rule out treatable conditions.
One species of mite - demodex, causes loss of hair without any itchiness and is common in young dogs, (but unusual in rabbits). This is easily diagnosed with skin scrapes and can be treated. Fungal skin infections also could be involved but difficult to tell from photos.
Stress or hormonal imbalances can lead to progressive hair loss. The follicles have regular cycles of hair growth and inactive phases and if there is stimulation for them to remain in the inactive phase then the old hairs are progressively shed and not replaced.
It is impossible to guess at cause from photos, but I would hope that as he has hair on his head and legs that he is capable of hair production. Ideally a biopsy would be taken to assess whether hair follicles are present, normal structure and check for any signs of a cause of hair loss/failure of growth.
Special care for him would include keeping him warm! But also checking for sores and being prepared to use emollient creams on his skin (almost like moisturiser) as his skin will dry out easier than a haired rabbit's. Sunlight will be a problem if the hair loss is permanent so he'll need shade at all times as he could easily burn/overheat. Outside, even in shade, he will get low level UVB light and will absorb this easily through the skin so I shouldn't think vitmain D/calcium deficiency would be a problem as long as he can be outside in adapted housing.

Okay, I know this thread is a little old, but I didn't want to have to start a new one and have to explain the whole story again. Anyway, I just wanted to update everyone on the situation. The news is very good, little Willy has grown his hair back! He still looks a little awkward, but he's doing much better than he was. We are guessing that it was a stress condition that made his hair fall out in the first place. So anyway, things are looking great for the little guy now, thanks for all of the well wishes :)

Okay, I know this thread is a little old, but I didn't want to have to start a new one and have to explain the whole story again. Anyway, I just wanted to update everyone on the situation. The news is very good, little Willy has grown his hair back! He still looks a little awkward, but he's doing much better than he was. We are guessing that it was a stress condition that made his hair fall out in the first place. So anyway, things are looking great for the little guy now, thanks for all of the well wishes :)

Fantastic news :D :D :D :D

Please give the little guy a cuddle from me :wave:

Back