• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yet More Bonding Questions

happybunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

I have posted a couple of bonding questions in past month and managed to fail miserably at getting any of mine to bond. I think much of it has been to do will with me seperating them to early and due to a couple of my babies becoming ill.

Now they are all healthy and we have just ended up with a new addition action need to be taken to get 6 unbonded bunnies into at least a couple of pairs.

Male Bunnies are:

Harvey - 2 years old, castrated. Medium sizes cross (seems to dislike Oliver intensly)

Jasper - 4 years old, castrated. Medium (rather tubby) dutch, quite placid (we think and has been bonded to a female in the past who saddly died)

Oliver - 4 years old. Recently catrated

Dylan - 1 year old. Netherland dwarf. Recently castrated

Female bunnies:

Clover - 2 years old. Neutered. Nips Jasper and Harvey on past attempts of bonding.

Flopsy - 2 months old, not neitered (yet). Only arrived yesterday.

We were thinking of bonding Dylan and Flopsy. How old should Flopsy be before we start the process? Should we wait until she is neutered?

Maybe trying Clover and Oliver, see if she is less nippy towards him.

That leaves Harvey and Jasper. Do we have any hope of bonding 2 boys? Or should they stay seperate?

Thanks for any advice

i would wait until she is neutered. also how about Harvey and clover? Have you tried putting the male in an enclosed area within her space? let them get to know the sight and smell of each other.It can also help if they can't see any of your other rabbits as this can bring out territorial traits. Take it slowly..they may well have a little scuffle at first but unless its a nasty fight just keep a watch on them and gradually increase their time together...You might have already tried this!!!
Good luck!
PS i recently had to give up a bonding a pair as the male just wouldnt have it..have successfully bonded two pairs though! :D

Wow you have enough to do your own speed dating with!

Take one of the rabbits and try them with every other rabbit for a few minutes to gauge reactions. It is possible you may get unexpected male-male female-female bonding too. If a pair seem particluarily enamoured then make a note and start with the next rabbit until you have put every rabbit with every other one (ensure the recently castrated don't go in with the unspayed girl if there is a chance they could still be fertile). Use a notepad (and a handy volunteer to make notes) so you don't forget which rabbits fought immediately, which were ok and which were in love ;) .

If you end up with two of one sex getting along well you may be able to add a third of the opposite sex and make a trio. For example you may have two that really like the same rabbit, if those two can be persuaded to get along they can both all be put together.

That is how I would do it!

Caz

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

The 2 boys who were recently castrated were "done" just before Christmas so there should be no chace of any little accidents should they get near the new arrival.

We originally adopted Clover from a rescue center to bond with Harvey but she either ignored for a while then bit him or just went straight to the biting. Even biting him on car rides. We had a few sessions of Harvey, Clover and Jasper but she alternated between biting them both.

We then tried Jasper and Harvey together. Jasper tended to hide in a corner until Harvey got bored and started a fight. We stop this as Jasper looked permenatly scared.

I think I need to persivere a little more with any pair. I would love to get as many bonded as possible either in pairs or bigger groups.

Thanks again

Do you have a local rescue near to you?

It's just that many have experiance in bonding and some even offer bonding sessions at the rescue for a small fee. They may be able to do the bondings for you and then return your rabbits to you already done.

Try asking them it may just take the pressure of yourselves.

Good luck

There are no rescues really close to me. The 2 that I have been 2 don't offer a bonding service other than when you adopt and they are happy to do an introduction.

We did that with Harvey and Clover and it went well. Unfortunately Harvey got mites just after that and the bonding process had to stop until he was clear. Thats when the troublr started.

How old does the new arrival need to be before she can be neatured? I read in a book thats it is 6months or 4 for small breeds? Is this correct? 4 months seems a long wait until I can try here with one of the boys.

Thanks again

Have you tried Sonya at Bunny Camp in Bradford. She does bond up bunnies she is rehomeing and also runs a boarding service so she may be able to help. Not sure whether she will bond up other peoples buns thought. But its worth asking. Details can be found on rabbit rehome.

Thanks for the idea, I will get in contact with them if my next attempts fail.

We tried Oliver and Clover together last night in the kitchen. Oliver spent most of the time chasing Clover around (makes a change, she usually has the upper hand). It went quite well no major upsets.

I hope it keeps up.

Thanks again

Back