• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Would you have a bunny spayed if you couldn't get back to the vet?

Can't remember whereabouts in Sutherland you are? Is there a better vet in Thurso? I definitely would not risk having a bunny spayed by a vet who has admitted they are uncomfortable doing it! It really is major surgery for a little bunny something I hadn't really appreciated till Daisy was done! I would not feel comfortable either if I wasn't able to get to a vet post op! I think the first 24-48hrs after you get them home is the most critical trying to get them to eat and poo! I paid for extra metacam to bring home which was needed for a couple of days and made a big difference to the recovery! I was lucky Daisy didn't touch her stitches but there have been a few horror stories on here and you would need to get to a vet asap! If it came to it could you pay a friend to take you to the vet in an emergency?

absolutely agree - it must be a very experienced bunny vet for a spay

I think that's very risky... the 5+ hour drive there and back would be much better. Ops are dangerous enough with a savvy vet, much less one that isnt. What if she kills them with the anesthetic or does the spay wrong?

I think seeing if she could have them for a few days after the spay would be a great idea.

I would definitely choose the rabbit savvy vet over a closer one but I am also concerned about the bun having a long journey home straight after the op, so if they could stay with the vet for a bit that would be the best option all round :D

When you say she's done spays before do you mean rabbits or other animals? There are different skills needed for each so just being confident with one type of animal doesn't mean good with another.

I think that's very risky... the 5+ hour drive there and back would be much better. Ops are dangerous enough with a savvy vet, much less one that isnt. What if she kills them with the anesthetic or does the spay wrong?

It wouldn't be in the car though, it would be by bus and train...I just do not know if that is fair.

I think what I am going to do is wait, I had no idea they were safe till about two, I have time to pass my driving test now, knowing that.

When you say she's done spays before do you mean rabbits or other animals? There are different skills needed for each so just being confident with one type of animal doesn't mean good with another.

She has done rabbit spays, just doesn't like doing them.

Aaah now I get it - I didn't realise it was such a long trip to the next nearest vet :shock: (I live within walking distance of 2 vets and there are at least 3 I can think if that are no more than 10 mins away, and I take that for granted :oops:).

Do you know why she doesn't like doing rabbit spays?

No I wouldnt have a bunny spayed if I couldnt get back to the vets afterwards. Nor would I have a bunny spayed by a vet who clearly isnt happy/confident at doing the operation.

As there's no particular rush to get them spayed, I would stop fretting and do it when you can :D

Or there's a third option: have bunnies spayed by distant-but-more-confident vet and alert nearer vet to timing just in case any urgent post-op care is needed?

I'm also not too keen on the leaving-bunnies-overnight option. Will they actually be monitored overnight? Wouldnt they find it more stressful to be in a strange place than at home? Though I do see that a five hour journey straight after a major operation would also be stressful.

And, finally, I think it's wrong to describe a spay as "dangerous". It's a major operation with signficant recovery time and of course no operation is ever 100% risk free, but "dangerous" is over-egging the pudding. I wouldnt want anyone to be put off a spay by reading that it's "dangerous".

I think I would find a savvy Rabbit Vet and wait till you have some free time to keep an eye on her. I had Bella done last month and it went well the first week, then she picked the scab and we had her at the vets 4 times in one week.

Man yeah this is a really tough situation...if you have a girl getting her spayed is a very delicate operation and quite traumatic for the rabbit as it is, so you need an experienced bunny vet to do the job right. maybe you could rent a room out there and let him/her stay with the vet overnight??

Arghhhh there should be more "exotic" pet vets! they can be so hard to find.

I've decided to wait. My other worry is I've lost a bun being done before, I'd only had him a month.

They will be spayed, but one I can drive, hopefully before the year is out.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Back