• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

would this chicken coop be ok for 1 rabbit

I think it is too small. The hutch part should be at least 6ft x 2ft x 2ft.

I think a lot of people have been tempted by chicken coops and then realised that they are not suitable.

I always worry about those "boxes" on the back of them that hang in mid air, they look a bit vunerable and as though they might drop off to me?

Does the rabbit have to live alone? It may be quite sad and lonely. I have a single house rabbit and she is lonely when we are not there, I know she is :( I think she just sits in her litter tray.

Edited to say, of course yes the "hutch" part is too small too.

ok thanks no the rabbit doesn't have to live alone he just prefers to be, he is a semi wild rabbit and doesn't like being in the house where he is at the min,

http://www.mhmh-chine.com/PLarge/chicken-coop-5663-1319-656912990747968.jpg

I am going to add extra insulation and mdf panels for the wire panels and a tarp for the winter just wondering about size.

Dimensions: length: 82.7" width: 35.4" height: 52.4".

thanks

If you were talking about cladding the sides and using it just as a hutch then this particular one is big enough (those sizes equate to 6ft x 3ft). However you would still need to attach a run.

But personally i would just get a large hutch as that chicken coop will
A)work out very expensive to buy that and then clad the sides.
B) will have very poor access to bun.
C) often the wood on them is of poor quality and wont last as long as a well built hutch
D) unless you use very expensive cladding, the cladding would deteriate quickly - so would need re doing frequently.

Have a look at the welfare hutch company - he has high quality, large hutches at good prices.

ETA - i forgot to say youd need a floor adding to the chicken coop too

Last edited:
Hiya -

I recently bunny sat for some lovely folks who kept two small bunnies in one of these - the main problem I found was it's very difficult to get inside to clean out the lower floor areas - also unless you get a cover for the whole thing be prepared for bunns being susceptible to sore hocks as the floor can be constantly damp if on a hard surface.

I adapted it for them as best I cud - added a run and used a tarp for cover etc but now they have upgraded to a hutch which is much easier with a purpose built run:D

We bought and used a similar style coop for Flymo before we knew about the size recommendations and although it worked well, and he really liked it, it's about 2 years old and the roof is falling apart, the ramp is knackered etc. This is a recent discovery - prior to this we were happy with it and had even bought another hutch from the same company. (Actually disappointed with that for other reasons.)

So anyway, what I will say is that hindsight is a wonderful thing... we've spent a fortune on hutches etc and TBH I wish we'd known about someone like Welfare Hutches or Moore Space for Pets on facebook.

ok I will have a look at that other site you mentioned as well, would you could get this chicken coop cheap and add a run and small hutch would you say that would be enough room, as I have a small hutch but its only 2ft and I have a run 8 by 4 run then this chicken coop. but I will look on the other sites, and still use the add ons.

If I already had a run I'd probably get something like this:
http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/category/6ft single rabbit hutch
and attach it with a runaround system. It's about the same price as the coops retail for and looks better built TBH.

They are definately better built - i have the double decker version for mine and its so strong - they should (treated right) easily last the 8-12 year lifetime of bun. There really is no comparison between the wood used in the welfare hutch company's hutches and the general chicken coops /cheap hutches. Also his customer service is second to none.

Last edited:
I'm with everyone else - it's much more simple to buy a 6 x 2 x 2 (or even bigger) hutch and attach it to the run. It also often works out cheaper too.

This is the runaround system that people have mentioned - the tube is fun for your bunny and also allows you to move the run around to keep the grass fresh, and prevent it from being destroyed: http://www.runaround.co.uk/collections/frontpage/products/connection-kit-4

Alternatively you can get one that isn't moveable but it's cheaper: http://www.runaround.co.uk/collections/frontpage/products/bridge-link

I have a runaround system with 2 tubes and I love it. The 2 tubes allow a lot of flexibility so I can move the run around our garden on a daily basis for new grass for the bunnies, and the grass is still in great condition 2 years on!

The welfare hutch company that's been linked above also do a 7ft hutch which is great, and they're highly recommended in terms of how well made the hutch is.

Here are some alternative links for 6 x 2 x 2 hutches:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6ftX2fX2f...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item519f5e2eb8 (This one comes very highly recommended by a lot of people on here)

If you have the space/money you could also get this instead, and attach it to the 8 x 4 run - that would give a fabulous amount of space: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sykes-mas...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item51aad34cb3

I have a coop and while it is ok to use as a hutch with an added run we've had to make lots of modifications to it i.e. Add a floor, panels etc. We've had to replace some of the mesh as the buns had chewed it. The replacement stuff is a lot stronger. I can't see it lasting ages either, in fact I'm just upgrading to a summerhouse but am going to use the bed bit of the coop and ramp inside. If i was to do it again i think i would go for a hutch or playhouse or shed =)

thank you for the links, I have made a cheap bid on ebay before I asked the question then had second thoughts so I will not be bidding any more but if I don't get outbid I will get it and alter it as I am thinking of a shed, wooden playhouse set up,

thank you for the links, I have made a cheap bid on ebay before I asked the question then had second thoughts so I will not be bidding any more but if I don't get outbid I will get it and alter it as I am thinking of a shed, wooden playhouse set up,

Ooh, fabulous! Sheds are amazing - my two got banished to a shed after I moved back in with my parents, and they love it! And I love it because I can go and see them, and I know they have plenty of space and they're toasty warm :D

Back