• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worrying problems with 10/11 week old bun (Vet app already made) advice?

Just got off the phone and they've said to come at 6:50pm pick him up and will discuss everything then. They have been managing to syringe recovery food into him but he hates it.

I'm worried it's been so long, he's been force fed for 24 hours now and still not eating etc

I want to see if they can have him overnight but I'm not even sure they do overnight nursing there or whether would be elsewhere etc. I've never needed it. Would my request be enough for them to keep him? I'm fretting he will et worse and I'll have the panic of out of hours vet 40min drive away.

I don't even know how long a rabbit can manage and survive on syringe feeding in the state he's in. Bringing him home just feels like his death sentence.

No idea what to do or expect right now.

Thank you everyone for thoughts and advice, everything, just being able to talk to those who understand is helping me cope with now.

I'm sure your vet will discuss everything with you, but rabbits can survive a long time on syringe feeding where necessary.

A vet once cause a serious digestive upset in one of my rabbits, such that he was literally at death's door. I syringe fed him for 11 days, and he pulled through to make more mischief for the rest of his life :D

Please don't give up hope. We will support you here!

I'm so sorry Wally is so poorly. I'm sending him lots of vibes to get better and big hugs for you. I know how draining it is having a poorly bun :(

I hope your appointment with the vet goes well this evening. xx

I've got him home and settled, I'll be with him all night and then tomorrow taking him back at 9am to spend the day with them, they dont have staff on site overnight so he would be left without feeds. No way could do that. He said to be prepared because he could die over night, he isnt as bright as this afternoon and hes really worried by how thin he is, there is nothing at all on him the vet said worst seen in a baby rabbit.

He's had Baytril, Metacam, Metaclopromide, Panacur and Saline intravenously (he looked like quasimodo bless him) and ive more recovery plus food to do every hour.

i went to the store on the way back and got som fresh spring greens, broccoli, pepper and a carrot to test and try encourage him ....

I hope this is the right thing that was suggested..... I also got....

Ellas Kitchen carrots... ingredients just carrots and water.. and Ellas Kitchen Parsnip one too.

If these are the right ones could anyone advise on how much/how to offer it if they have experience doing so?

-------

Crash the other bun is being treated for EC too and have started his Panacur, he is showing no signs atm and is his usual greedy eat everything and destroy everything self..

-----

Thank you again and againnnn for all the support everyone, means so much, in my head im just going to keep fighting so long as he is and he is.. just hope he makes it :cry:

Wally went downhilllast night. siezures and body rolling every 10 minutes until made choice PTS. :cry::cry::cry:

having postmortem done to seeif/anything can tell us about whatwas wrong and still treating Crash with panacur just incase.got disenfectant from the vet to clean everything with,what they use in te kennels etc.

just heartbroken :cry:

binkie inpeace little man
xxx

(white and grey is Wally rip..brown is Crash)

5_FADA6_DF35_B76_CBA6171_F0545_B1_E9_C356_C6_FEC3_ECF730_FB.jpg

DC2_E999_C3_FF9181656_C602733_AE9_E53286_CA7_EA8_C89_F376.jpg

Wally went downhilllast night. siezures and body rolling every 10 minutes until made choice PTS. :cry::cry::cry:

having postmortem done to seeif/anything can tell us about whatwas wrong and still treating Crash with panacur just incase.got disenfectant from the vet to clean everything with,what they use in te kennels etc.

xxx

I really am so very sorry :cry:

RIP Wally xx

So very sorry. You did everything you could. I hope the PM can shed some light on what happened. Hugs x

xxx

I'm so sorry :(

Rest in Peace Wally xx

Post mortem came back and a definitive answer. He had a abscess in the brain under the sera(something long word) the part that controls balance and movement etc. no signs anything else and explains all the symptoms. Nothing could have done for him and would have gotten worse so said did right thing.

:'( idk whether in still overwhelmed and upset or relived it's not something Crash is likely to catch.

It must be of some comfort to know that there was nothing else that you could have done and that Crash isn't at risk from any infection etc. Hugs x

xxx

I am so sorry for your loss. Your Wally has the same sable point coloring my Amigo and his brother Bonita had and Bonita had seizures too in the end so I know how disturbing it can be so both you and them when that happens.
It is so sad to lose any pet, but it is so much less expected when they are so young.
You did everything you could.
Sending some vibes for you and also for Crash. Perhaps you and Crash can comfort each other over the loss of your lovely Wally.
Your deciding to do the post mortum was a good decision and something I have done in the past to help my survivors. I am glad yours ended with a diagnosis that should give you some small comfort as your grieve the lose of your beloved Wally.

Last edited:
What a little beauty Wally was. RIP sweet rabbit. Hope Crash and you can offer each other some comfort at this sad time.

Lovely card from Crash there.

Back