• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Kenco U/D He's gone

Sorry to hear he's having problems. Given his history, symptoms, and the unreliability of blood tests, personally I'd treat immediately for EC too as a precaution..... :wave:

Thank you - I think I will ask for some Panacur or Lapizole when we go back then.

When Homer lost weight i started to give him porridge oats in water. About half a teaspoon with boiling water and let it cool right down. Try it with different consistencies. He loved it and had jiggy hips when he ate it. I think I started with 1/4 teaspoon.

He was 8.5 when one of his eyes started to go cloudy. Our vet said it was linear cataracts and best left unless it got any worse as it was probably old age. We did the same as you and left everything where he knew it was.

Thanks you - he had some oats mixed in with his pellet soup this morning and ate the lot! Let's hope it helps with getting his weight up a little bit. Thanks for the advice about the eyesight issue too xx

Merry Christmas everyone x

We lost our dearest little man Kenco today. My OH went outside to feed him this morning with his morning pellets, and he came rushing in the house, I knew something was wrong. He said he didnt have long and to go straight out to him, which I did, while telling him to ring the vets and get his carrier.

When I got outside he was in the corner, his front legs were splayed outwards and his head was on the floor, I could tell he was in a bad way. My instinct was to scoop him up and hold him close to warm him up and comfort him and I came straight in the house with him, telling him he was safe, his mummy was here, that I loved him and it would be ok. I sat down on the sofa with him in my arms, and kissed him and told him it was ok. My OH was on the phone to the vets by this point. He became uncomfortable so I tried to change his position to make him feel more secure, he was so limp and floppy.

But he needed to get out of my arms and wriggled and struggled, so I put him on the sofa and moved down on the floor, trying to hold him, when he started screaming and throwing his head back in some distress. He was mouth-breathing, his mouth was open wide and he seemed to sort of fit, I am not sure if it was a fit or just him passing, I don't know but it was very distressing and if I could have ended his suffering in that moment I would have done. My OH was panicking on the phone to the receptionist at the vets asking "what can we do? what can we do?", and I was screaming because I was panicking. He did 3 or 4 big screams and then I could sense he was slipping away and his breathing became laboured and slowed. And then I just stroked him and saying "oh Kenco, Kenco".

I tried to give him mouth to mouth but I knew it was futile and he was going. In fact he might already have gone, it was all a bit of a blur. He did a couple of short breaths, with long pauses in between, and then there was no more Kenco. He had gone across to the Bridge and was limp and floppy.

Mine and Colin's hearts are broken in to a thousand pieces, because we love Kenco so so so so much. I'm in such a spin.

We spent some time just holding him ourselves, before we took him back outside to Buttercup for her to spend some time with him but she didn't really seem interested and I suspect she already knew something was wrong before he passed away.

I am glad that Kenco waited for us to comfort him in his final few minutes and I hope he knew as soon as he was in my arms that he was with his mummy and could smell me. He felt like such a little bag of bones.

We then brought him inside and spent 2 hours with him ourselves. We've just taken him to our vets to look after him while we make arrangements for him.

I can't bear that I will never see his fluffy tummy and his helicopter ears again.

Now reunited with his beloved first wifey Miss Fay at the Bridge and I hope you will be at peace there Kenco, with lots of nasturtiums and mint, your all time favourites!

I will do a proper tribute in Rainbow Bridge when we are up to it.

I'm so terribly sorry to read this. From all that you've written it's clear that you love him very much, and I hope it gives you some comfort that Kenco knew what it was like to be loved and cared for.

Oh no, I'm so sorry :cry::cry:

It's clear from your post that he was loved very much, and I'm sure he knew that xx

Oh no I'm so very sorry to hear this :cry: From what I understand, fitting is quite common as our little friends pass away - it it a sign of their passing rather than the cause of it. Santa also fitted like you describe before she fell asleep forever. You must be so devastated, I'm glad you were able to be there with him and comfort him as he said goodbye. Big hugs xxx

Thanks everyone. We are in shock, it was just so upsetting in his last few moments.

Santa thank you so much for saying that, I was wondering about the fitting :cry: I am glad I was able to be there with him too, although I wish perhaps I had been calmer for him as he passed.

It is bothering me not knowing quite what happened, but the vet said most likely something neurological, a stroke or aneurysim or something like that, although I am still suspecting the EC. We don't want to put him through a PM, we want to keep him perfect but part of me is wondering about the EC issue, and also whether Buttercup is at risk, or whether we just need to think of it as old age. Potentially I guess he may have had a mild stroke a little while ago which could have caused his eye issues or weight loss, I dont know.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Kenco.

Reading about his passing made me start crying over my dear Joey. She started fitting and screaming in the same way but I was alone at 2am with my friends refusing to webcam call with me because they wanted to call with each other.

Its hard when they pass and I don't think anyone truly gets over it; but at least he died in your arms knowing that you were there for him. I think that's what counts.

Much hugs to you and your OH. And binky free little Kenco~

Oh goodness this is absolutely heartbreaking, Im in tears for you and your OH :cry::cry::cry: I know what its like to have a beloved bun die in your arms :cry:

Sweet dreams Kenco xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back