• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worried about EC :-(

Thanks for that link Jane, didn't know you could get it in liquid form. Is the one bottle enough for a 6 week dosage for 2 bunnies?? will get some ordered today :) and will buy some scales!
I'll get a water bottle too so hopefully less contamination again....
Suddenly feel more positive, hope it works as I can't bear to see another bunny go through this- Thornton is less than 3 and Molly even younger

Yes, one bottle of Panacur 10% liquid will be enough as you only give 0.2ml/kg :)

It may be worth getting a wee sample tested for infection. A low grade bacterial infection is another possibility. So it may be a good idea to speak with whichever Vet you feel happiest with, explain what you will be doing re the Panacur and why and that you would like a bacterial urine infection to be ruled out too.

I guess it's worth asking, but urine tests have been fine with the previous bunnies. It was always the first diagnosis followed by a course of antibiotics to no effect.

With regards the cleaning- do I do just the 21 and 28 day or do I need to do extra given 6weeks is longer then 28 days???

I'll see uf I can find this green spray which was mentioned previously for routine cleaning as well.

Right, have new water bottle, shiny new litter tray with hay rack over it, new dust pan and brush..... Molly was straight in gobbling the hay and Thornton, although more cautious was doing little head binkies, so I think we have approval :thumb:

Now ordering the panacur and will scrub the hutch and run with bleach solution on the first decent day we get in the next few days. Also have new lino tiles for their bedroom/ litter tray area.

I started them off on the panacur on Tuesday and Wed morning I find Thornton sat huddled in the corner of the run shaking, not coming over food :-( bought him straight into the utility room out of the cold and damp with plenty of food and treats available. He was straightway running around investigating his new surroundings so I left him while we went to work. I managed to convince work to let me come home to check on him at lunch time and I found he had eaten some of the treats and veg and didn't look too bad, was alert etc. went back to work and came home about half four and found more food and treats had been eaten and there was a pile of poops. So I put him back outside with Molly and gave him his second dose of panacur while I had hold of him. This is something that has happened about 3 times since we had him.

Two to three hours later I take them their pellets and he's back to sitting in the corner shaking :-( So back inside and I sit giving him tummy rubs and making him run around as he seems quite bloated. A few hours later again he has eaten and passed lots of poops. We decided to keep him in overnight,but bring Molly in too and relocated them to the bathroom. I sat up with him to well past midnight ensuring he was eating poopings and he definitely passed wind!

Hubby checked on them twice in the night and I have been with them since 7am and he is eating a small amount of veg and nibbling hay, but in general seems quite subdued. He generally is moving about to get food and go to litter tray, grooming Molly etc, but in general there is 'something' just not quite 100%....

Could it be the panacur??? The only other difference is the amount of hay they have consumed since putting it ibm a hay rack! Absolutely tons!

I don't want to take him to the vet for them to just say well he's alert, eating, poopings etc, just keep an eye on him.... :-/

confused and concerned!!!! :-(

He has just had a mammoth pooping and hay munching session while I typed that and scoffed the last of the veg. Now flopped out on the floor.

Should also note hardly a poo and no wee out of place since bringing them in...

Hi, sorry if this sounds stupid but what is EC? and can it be caught from the grass outside? as I read this thread I got worried as one of my buns has been ill this week... Not eating at all last night and looking grumpy, but has eaten all day today and is moving around. Assumed it was jsut something that made his tummy stop but now eating ok had thought was ok... Still going to try adn book a vet appoitment as need jabs too so can do all together. I'm going to go and look up EC now!

Hi, sorry if this sounds stupid but what is EC? and can it be caught from the grass outside? as I read this thread I got worried as one of my buns has been ill this week... Not eating at all last night and looking grumpy, but has eaten all day today and is moving around. Assumed it was jsut something that made his tummy stop but now eating ok had thought was ok... Still going to try adn book a vet appoitment as need jabs too so can do all together. I'm going to go and look up EC now!

There is lots of information online to read. It's E Cuniculi. Don't get muddled up with E Coli! :)

hi, sorry to hear you've been struggling with EC :wave: I fought EC last year - the good news is my rabbits are recovered now.

I cleaned everything with a bleach solution as described and replaced the litter trays completely. I've seen you mention hay racks which is a good idea too.

I agree about the 28 days of Panacur rather than 7 - you can buy it cheap online.

The weeing out of the litter trays could be because of the bleaching and because the litter trays don't smell of them anymore so I wouldn't panic just yet. If you can syringe up a bit of their urine and put it in a container you could take it to your vets to be tested.

As Jane says it could be environment stress that has put him off eating, also I found mine hated being picked up to be Panacured and it did make them a bit annoyed and out-of-sorts.

I also use F10 vet-strength disinfectant although i'm not sure how effective this is against EC :wave:

Just to update you: today was day 21 so have done a bleach clean and rinse today.

In general I think there has been mild improvement. I do keep finding poops in a couple of specific places next to the litter tray, but never any wee (sometimes there is a little patch of liquid, but I think this is the mucus stuff that coats the poops....). Everything seems a lot cleaner. It wasn't until we scrubbed the hutch the first time that we realised how much urine had been flicked over everything! And both have been 'done '. I'm still paranoid every time I see them sitting oddly, but it might just be me. I'll be glad when the panacur is done as it is stressful trying to dedicate them everyday !

day 28 and beyond

Day 28 wad on Tuesday so bleach and rinse done again.

Today Friday Molly is under the weather :-(. She's not eaten this morning and rather subdued. When I first looked out the window I could see her sprawled across corner of the run so I ran out in blind panic, but she was just flopped out. Anyway have separated so can asses if she eats anything in the next few hours :-(

Molly is never ill, it's Thornton who has the delicate tummy :-(

Back