• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

wonder how much it will cost for another bunny.

i know i feel like that all the time but i dont have any money so that stops me :lol::D i should really start saving though. :(. which im quite rubish at. i have no self control. :lol:

if scooter is happy on his own and money/saving could be an issue maybe keep him on his own hun. i know as a rule they are better kept in at least pairs but surely a well looked after bun is better than you struggling to pay for 2 :wave:

please dont take that as me being rude, its just i had more buns before and couldnt afford them or juggle their needs and i know how heart breaking it is to have to rehome them :(
seeing how happy my 2 are now, i know i made the right choice for everyone but its a situation i wish i had never got into. lesson learnt for me :oops:

xx

if scooter is happy on his own and money/saving could be an issue maybe keep him on his own hun. i know as a rule they are better kept in at least pairs but surely a well looked after bun is better than you struggling to pay for 2 :wave:

please dont take that as me being rude, its just i had more buns before and couldnt afford them or juggle their needs and i know how heart breaking it is to have to rehome them :(
seeing how happy my 2 are now, i know i made the right choice for everyone but its a situation i wish i had never got into. lesson learnt for me :oops:

xx
i know wat u mean and im not offended i get were ur coming from. its just hes been on his own for quite a while and i have no clue if hes accept a friend or not. he seems pretty lonely and upset i can tell that much and i cant provide him with the amount of company he needs.

some one i cant remeber who told me to try him out with a guinea pig and see how they got on first but i couldnt do that to a guinea pig and besides scooter was known to bully them when he was younger so not really a good experiment. i cant see if someone would lend me a rabbit to see how he would act cause that would be mean to him especially if they get on well. i wouldnt be able to do that to him. :(

i know wat u mean and im not offended i get were ur coming from. its just hes been on his own for quite a while and i have no clue if hes accept a friend or not. he seems pretty lonely and upset i can tell that much and i cant provide him with the amount of company he needs.

some one i cant remeber who told me to try him out with a guinea pig and see how they got on first but i couldnt do that to a guinea pig and besides scooter was known to bully them when he was younger so not really a good experiment. i cant see if someone would lend me a rabbit to see how he would act cause that would be mean to him especially if they get on well. i wouldnt be able to do that to him. :(

i think if you are really set on getting him a friend, let someone do the bonding. i tried to bond bella and jasper and fur flew. bella is cage possesive, but gets along with jasper out of her cage just fine :roll: little madam wants me to have to clean 2 cages out :lol:
i did the whole small space, going for a ride in the car in a carry case thing and no luck what so ever, he gets near her house and BOOM demon bunny appears :shock:
looking back i should have let someone help me, but whats done is done. i now know for future buns :)
what about getting him lots of toys? how much time are you getting to spend with him at the moment?
i dont think its advisable to do a test run with GP, if scooter kicks out he is gonna hurt the GP.

xx

I wouldn't suggest a GP, when my smudge grumpy kicks he is really strong and could cause potentially harm to a lil piggie..

My pair cost a bomb in initital expenses.

Pair o' Buns = £40
Bed = £50
Bag of Timothy Hay = £4
bag of pellets = £5
Bag of shavings = £3
Bag of litter = £5
Various toys, treats and what not = £20
Neutering x 2 = £60
VHD x 2 = £30
Mixi x 2 = £30
Vets fees and two antibiotic courses = £40??
Carrier = £10

Erm..

New phone charger, New wi sensor..

Lots of extra cycles on the washing machine for little accidents on my sofa covers..

Think that's about it..

Month to month they don't cost alot, £20 at most :) xxx

I wouldn't suggest a GP, when my smudge grumpy kicks he is really strong and could cause potentially harm to a lil piggie..

My pair cost a bomb in initital expenses.

Pair o' Buns = £40
Bed = £50
Bag of Timothy Hay = £4
bag of pellets = £5
Bag of shavings = £3
Bag of litter = £5
Various toys, treats and what not = £20
Neutering x 2 = £60
VHD x 2 = £30
Mixi x 2 = £30
Vets fees and two antibiotic courses = £40??
Carrier = £10

Erm..

New phone charger, New wi sensor..

Lots of extra cycles on the washing machine for little accidents on my sofa covers..

Think that's about it..

Month to month they don't cost alot, £20 at most :) xxx

:oops: seriously i am over spending, how are you guys doing it for £20 a month???

xx

We buy everything in big big bags so it's cheaper..

They go thorugh hay like it's nobunnies business which is the most expenive thing.

A bag of litter lasts about 6 weeks, a bag of pellets last the month, and then their veggies..

That figure doesn't inlcude any toys I buy though :)

Please don't try him with a guinea pig :wave: it's very bad for the piggie for a million reasons.

Also all buns react to every rabbit differently, to try him with a borrowed rabbit would be stressful if they don't get on and cruel if they did as they would be separated.

Why not contact your local rescue and see if they'll make a match for him? It's pretty rare for a bunny to be 'unbondable' and how they interact with humans is completely different to how they'd interact with another rabbit :wave:

We buy everything in big big bags so it's cheaper..

They go thorugh hay like it's nobunnies business which is the most expenive thing.

A bag of litter lasts about 6 weeks, a bag of pellets last the month, and then their veggies..

That figure doesn't inlcude any toys I buy though :)

im buying everything pretty much every 2 weeks, the litter for their litter trays lasts 2 weeks maybe 3 if im lucky. hay dont get me started thats £7.99 and im buying that pretty much every 2 weeks too and i guess their pellets last about 3 weeks..... i think its the toys that are costing the most :oops:

im buying everything pretty much every 2 weeks, the litter for their litter trays lasts 2 weeks maybe 3 if im lucky. hay dont get me started thats £7.99 and im buying that pretty much every 2 weeks too and i guess their pellets last about 3 weeks..... i think its the toys that are costing the most :oops:

haha I know how you feel!
My bunnies would work out quite cheap if I didn't spoil them rotten with new toys and treat hays!
They're so worth the money though :D

haha I know how you feel!
My bunnies would work out quite cheap if I didn't spoil them rotten with new toys and treat hays!
They're so worth the money though :D

they certainly are :D
i mean i do buy in semi big packs but i have no where to store the massive bags of stuff.... hmmmmm must think of ways...... must get it to £20 a month..... ;) like thats ever gonna happen im useless when it comes to self control!!!! :lol:

xx

I did have a disaster with a bag of pellets the other day mind..we were inbetween bags so had the new bag out rather than away and smudge chewed the bottom of the bag open and it was pellet heaven in my living room!

xx

I did have a disaster with a bag of pellets the other day mind..we were inbetween bags so had the new bag out rather than away and smudge chewed the bottom of the bag open and it was pellet heaven in my living room!

xx

see thats why i have a storage container:

HPIM1519.jpg

its 4 bins high and stops bella the menace doing just that :)

xx

I think I'm going to get something like that. I have a morrisons reusebale shopping bag at the mo with everything crammed in.

Thanks for the idea :thumb:

I think I'm going to get something like that. I have a morrisons reusebale shopping bag at the mo with everything crammed in.

Thanks for the idea :thumb:

wilkinsons, only cost £10. even if you get a mahoosive bag of stuff you can fill all this up and put the remainder away somewhere the crafty buns cant find it :)

i have pellets in the top, timothy hay in the middle, a treat draw :oops: and then litter draw xx

This is something I'm worrying about too. I'm rehoming a rabbit from someone in April and he's nearly 2 and has always lived alone, and his owner said he seems ok with this. I'm worried about the cost of vaccinations and vet bills, I've worked out it will cost me £60 a year for one rabbit's vaccinations alone, and also, he's not neutered, so the cost of neutering 2 rabbits too. I've already saved up the money I need for my future rabbit's hutch and vaccinations, and then when I get him I'm going to see how he is alone, and make sure I've got enough money for his care, including putting some money aside for unexpected vet bills before considering getting him a friend.

Last edited:
This is something I'm worrying about too. I'm rehoming a rabbit from someone in April and he's nearly 2 and has always lived alone, and his owner said he seems ok with this. I'm worried about the cost of vaccinations and vet bills, I've worked out it will cost me £60 a year for one rabbit's vaccinations alone, and also, he's not neutered, so the cost of neutering 2 rabbits too. I've already saved up the money I need for my future rabbit's hutch and vaccinations, and then when I get him I'm going to see how he is alone, and make sure I've got enough money for his care, including putting some money aside for unexpected vet bills before considering getting him a friend.

i know people may not agree with me and im very on the fence with this but i think each individual has to look at their own circumstance before getting more than one bun. i know some may think, well get no bun at all, and in theory that is probably the 'ideal'. however, if someone is going to get a bun and can only afford the one, its better for everyone concerned surely if thats the way it stays??
one well looked after bun (with up to date vaccines, spay/neuter, all the dietry and housing requirements covered) is better than 2 buns that you struggle to cope with cost wise. buns are not cheap if you factor in vet bills etc especially of you get a dental bun etc.
please do not get the impression im pro single bun, as im not, but i think sometimes you have to be more realistic with each persons financial limitations :)

i think if you are really set on getting him a friend, let someone do the bonding. i tried to bond bella and jasper and fur flew. bella is cage possesive, but gets along with jasper out of her cage just fine :roll: little madam wants me to have to clean 2 cages out :lol:
i did the whole small space, going for a ride in the car in a carry case thing and no luck what so ever, he gets near her house and BOOM demon bunny appears :shock:
looking back i should have let someone help me, but whats done is done. i now know for future buns :)
what about getting him lots of toys? how much time are you getting to spend with him at the moment?
i dont think its advisable to do a test run with GP, if scooter kicks out he is gonna hurt the GP.

xx

yea he is quite a kick rabbit anyways. i think ill let some one else do the bonding if i can. at the moment i dont get to spend much time with him altogether in a week maybe 3hrs altogether.

cant wiat until i finish collage will be glad to have some time to my self and for bunny.

yea he is quite a kick rabbit anyways. i think ill let some one else do the bonding if i can. at the moment i dont get to spend much time with him altogether in a week maybe 3hrs altogether.

cant wiat until i finish collage will be glad to have some time to my self and for bunny.

:shock: 3 hours in a week?? or did you mean 3 hours a day??

xx

definately get those vacs done asap - ring around and find the cheapest price, even vets that arent bunny-savvy can do them just fine. Mine were only about £12 per vaccination, but then my vets dont charge for consulation.

I think you need to do things slowly, Scooter is your priority, so get his vaccinations out of the way first. You would also need to extend his accommodation to be suitable for 2 bunnies, so take this cost into account as this needs to be done first.

When you are ready to get a new bunny, getting an adult from a rescue will save you lots, as the adoption fee is usually about £50 and they will be already neutered and vacc'ed.

Back