• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will this upset my Bunny - temp other bunny

Baby2017

New Kit
Hi
Just need some advice. Will try and keep this short

A family member is going on holiday and has asked if we can look after their male unneutered bunny. He's a lovely little guy, he usually holidays with us but last year we got a bunny of our own. Our bunny is a spayed female. she is 10 months old and after her spay she has became very well behaved. She is very good at using her litter tray too.

I have had rabbits before so I know rabbits are either bonded together or live separatley. As lovable as they are I know they can also be complicated and small changes can upset things.

We already said to this person months ago that we would no longer be able to take their bunny as we now have our own and suggested a rabbit holiday home like we use. Their rabbit isnt vaccinated and they have booked a lastminute holiday. Long story short they keep their rabbit in a cage and I get the impression he's in there 24/7:( , they have a young family and don't have time for him.
My girl (although alone) has free roam of our kitchen / family room and gets run of the garden everyday.
I did offer to take their bunny off them before we adopted ours but it was a solid no.

Anyways - If I take him for the week - would this upset my bunny? I'm worried that each bunny will make a mess trying to spread their scent around when its their turn to get out for a run around. I would attach a run to his cage but he is quite a horny wee guy so i'm worried he'd work out how to escape it get her. More so I'm just worried that she would feel unsettled and her good behaviour / habbits would change. Unfortunately I don't quite have the space for them to not be able to see each other.

Trying to think of all the pros and cons but i'm feeling guilty that i'll have to say no even though I have done everything not be put in this situation.

I think your worries are justified. Can you look after the other rabbit in its own home?

I would be very reluctant to board an unvaccinated rabbit along with my own. Just having another rabbit there may cause aggression if they can see / smell each other. Being entire will also cause issues as he will get frustrated and may make additional efforts to get to your girl. It could be very unsettling for both of them unless they can be kept entirely separate. If strange rabbits can get to each other without proper bonding facilities, they are highly likely to fight and cause severe injuries.

He would need to be vaccinated before he would be accepted in a boarding facility. Vaccinations take about 2 weeks to become effective.

Good luck.

I would not have an unvaccinated Rabbit to stay. The Nobivac Myxo RHD Plus vaccine takes THREE WEEKS for a full immune response to occur. So if they got their Buck vaccinated today it would still be 3 weeks before he would have full cover.

The Buck might cause your Doe’s behaviour to change. She could lose all litter tray training, become aggressive, want to be with the Buck etc etc.

The Buck is likely to be frustrated being around a Does, due to being entire. This would apply regardless of the fact that the Doe is spayed This stress combined with the stress of being in a ‘strange’ environment might cause him to stop eating. This can then progress to stress induced gut stasis.

That said, things could remain calm. My main reason for saying ‘no’ is the vaccination status of the Buck. The Buck’s owners are unlikely to find a reputable Boarder to accommodate him. All reputable Boarders insist that all of the Rabbits they board are vaccinated.

I would strongly advise they get the Buck vaccinated anyway, regardless of what they do re their holiday.

Last edited:
Hello

Thank you so much for your replies. I will cross our house off the list.

The behaviour change is what i'm worried about. Apparently he knows how to escape his cage too:shock:
I told them months ago that they we need to get their bunny vaccinated to go to a animal home. Unfortunately he is very low on their priority list.

So I can go to their home and feed him but like I say he is in cage 24/7. They don't even have a run set up for him, so I would be really upset feeding him and then walking away:cry:

I honestly think they should give him up for adoption as he doesnt have much of a life just now.

He is such a lovely bunny and well behaved considering his raging hormones. Last summer he loved being in the garden with us, he would lie out on the slabs with his little feet kicked straight out behind him. I feel bad that i've done him out of his holidays:cry:

What would you do if your were in my position -

So I can't have him in my house due to my bunny.

They have asked that I go to their house and feed him everyday - they are not bothered that he'll be left alone all week, not getting out his cage (no run attached) and it wont be cleaned (no idea how often they do that). I don't agree with him being caged all day but I have tried to keep my mouth shut as he is not my bunny but I feel this is putting me in a crappy situation. I feel if I do it is like they are forcing me to do something I don't agree with - if that makes sense. Of course I want him to be fed but I want more for him.

Apparently there is another family member they can ask but they are trying not too because they have fallen out.....pride! Fingers cross they make up

Under the circumstances, I would probably try to pop round twice a day to check on the rabbit - but under protest. He will need the cage to be spot-cleaned daily. I assume they will leave sufficient suplies - check before they go. I would also ask them for the name of their vet (assuming thry have one), in case of emergency, and some cash just in case. I hope they cover your expenses as well. It always takes longer than you think to look after someone else's pet.

Make it clear that you won't be doing it again, and that he will need vaccinating annually so that he can go to a rabbit boarder next time (and for his own wellbeing). Maybe you can make a difference to his quality of life if they can be persuaded to neuter him and give him more space as well - but one thing at a time.

It's very difficut when you know that a pet isn't getting the quality of life that they deserve.

I would worry if he escaped from his cage and had an accident or ate something he shouldn't. It is a difficult situation. I assume your bunny is vaccinated so hopefully that would protect her if he could be in another room with his cage. This is what I would do. I have had my friend's Rabbits in the lounge while my own were in the kitchen. At least he will be safe this way, and not be on his own.

Im just annoyed that I told them back in March (so they couldn't put us in this situation) that I wouldn't be able to take him anymore because we have our own rabbit now. I told them of a small animal holiday home but said he would have to be vaccinated - I got a brush off reply of 'great i'll check it out'. They didn't and it doesn't surprise me.

Im hoping the other family member takes him as at least he'll be in her house being watched all the time but more importantly he would get out to stretch his legs.

Its totally putting me out having to go to there house once or twice a day as I would have to take my kids too and we would end up staying there for an hour at a time to let him out (not that the owners are expecting this) but I would really hate leaving by himself.
I dont have the space at my house but also I couldn't just have him in his cage I would have to let him out and as posted just the smell of other rabbits could upset things for him or my bun.

I'm hoping this makes them realise they cant just do anything they want with out thinking things through.

Unfortunately, I think it's likely to happen again as they will just take advantage. They don't seem to be that bothered about providing appropriate care for their rabbit and know that you will give in. I would log every visit you do so they are aware of the time you have given up. I would also leave a printed package about basic rabbit care (eg. RWAF website) giving details of minimum accommodation size, the importance of vaccination, neutering, etc, and details of the bunnyboarder. That should get the message across without confronting them.

I really hate it when people do this, and you know the pet isn't having it's basic needs met in daily life.

It will, it’s what they do. They dont mind putting people out to get what they want. They don’t fill guilty or do embarrassed.

I will help if I really need to but if I let them know that then they’ll stop thinking about their rabbit and won’t bother to look for another option. They will have anyone else do more running about for their wee bunny that what they will ever do.

I just won’t them to stop and think ‘are we giving the rabbit a decent life’.

Back