• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild Diet

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
I know dandelions and brambles are safe for bunnies which grow wild.. but what else can they have?

I have never been keen to try this, due to not wanting to make any mistakes, but do see the benefits of a more natural diet.

My boys seem very healthy on a diet of things grown in the garden. They like blackberry, raspberry and tayberry leaves, gooseberry leaves, strawberry leaves. They also like the leaves of nasturtiums and calendula and are looking forward to the flowers. I haven't been brave enough to pinch rose leaves yet (my mum will kill me!)

They also like dandelions, vetch, grass that's grown from wild bird seed, clover....

There is a book from the RWAF that should help:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=982
I'm just about to buy it myself.

I feed an asortment of wild grasses plus dandelions, blackberry and raspberry leaves, plantain, willow, apple and pear leaves and branches when I can find them, hawthorne leaves. They can also eat sow thistle but I can never find any. There are lots of other wild plants they can eat but these are some of the easiest to identify.
Thumps and Prettylupin will probably think of some others I've missed :)

nettles but ive been to scared of the sting to try, hawthorn leaves (ive just added these) silver birch tree leaves, but i cant reach them :(

i have a list done by supreme but i have no idea what any of the things are :oops:

DSC00266.jpg

My boys seem very healthy on a diet of things grown in the garden. They like blackberry, raspberry and tayberry leaves, gooseberry leaves, strawberry leaves. They also like the leaves of nasturtiums and calendula and are looking forward to the flowers. I haven't been brave enough to pinch rose leaves yet (my mum will kill me!)

They also like dandelions, vetch, grass that's grown from wild bird seed, clover....

I give rose petals to the bunnies in the summer.. they love those :D

I dont have any of the berries you mention in my garden.. although I could always search for a garden centre that grow them...

There is a book from the RWAF that should help:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=982
I'm just about to buy it myself.

I feed an asortment of wild grasses plus dandelions, blackberry and raspberry leaves, plantain, willow, apple and pear leaves and branches when I can find them, hawthorne leaves. They can also eat sow thistle but I can never find any. There are lots of other wild plants they can eat but these are some of the easiest to identify.
Thumps and Prettylupin will probably think of some others I've missed :)

oops i accidently pressed buy myself :lol::lol:

I dont know what it is called but I see tons of it every year an wonder whether its safe for bunnies..

It has a white flower to it and it grows a couple of feet tall.. has a strong smell to it... does anyone know what it is, and if its safe?

I dont know what it is called but I see tons of it every year an wonder whether its safe for bunnies..

It has a white flower to it and it grows a couple of feet tall.. has a strong smell to it... does anyone know what it is, and if its safe?

Well it could be cow parsley but unless you are 100% sure you have identified it correctly it's best not to feed it as there are some deadly poisonous plants that look very similar, including hemlock.
I would by a good identification guide to wildflowers and study it very closely until you are certain you can spot the differences xx

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

After my vets bills, I think I will wait till next month :lol::lol::lol:

ETA.. Its only £6.50 so maybe not next month.. :lol:

free postage too :wave::wave::wave:

hopefully it has a winter section too... fingers crossed huh

If it's cow parsley I'm thinking of, then yes, I've been advised on here that it's okay for bunnies and I've fed my lot it with no trouble (last year). Will deffinitely check that up.
My lot have a lot of natural goodies as we live in the countryside. Our new house has two massive willow trees so my 7 are in for a treat! :love:

Yes there are two different types. I have that type out the front garden and the other type which is long leaves if you get me in the back garden. You could always get some plaintain seeds. I grew some last year. I've got the book of Rabbit Nutrition and it shows pictures of the wild plants suitable for buns. Mine also love groundsel.

Well it could be cow parsley but unless you are 100% sure you have identified it correctly it's best not to feed it as there are some deadly poisonous plants that look very similar, including hemlock.
I would by a good identification guide to wildflowers and study it very closely until you are certain you can spot the differences xx

According to my dad Hemlock smells awful especially if you crush it between your fingers. I don't feel confident that I know the difference between all the species despite growing up amongst tons of cow parsley in the fields, as an adult I haven't examined the differences - so will be taking my dad with me to make sure! :)

whoooop walking to work today i think i saw plaintain, its too close to the roads to pick some but i atleast know know what it looks like...

cant wait for the book to come, Alvin is doing so well on this diet. only human food he gets now is kale, basil and romaine << keeping those just incase it all goes pair shaped in winter and i need his tummy used to certain veg

whoooop walking to work today i think i saw plaintain, its too close to the roads to pick some but i atleast know know what it looks like...

cant wait for the book to come, Alvin is doing so well on this diet. only human food he gets now is kale, basil and romaine << keeping those just incase it all goes pair shaped in winter and i need his tummy used to certain veg

What do you feed then? I dont know enough to feed completely wild diet I dont think, or have a supply to feed them...

I am adding some wild to diet, but will also feed spring greens, spinach, rocket etc etc..

What do you feed then? I dont know enough to feed completely wild diet I dont think, or have a supply to feed them...

I am adding some wild to diet, but will also feed spring greens, spinach, rocket etc etc..

morning - 10ml measure of Allen and page for the two of em. i sprinkle a handful of dried brambles into the hay and then put more hay on top

evening - fresh brambles, fresh dandelion and now fresh hawthorn leaves, fresh basil, tiny bit of kale (from tescos), 1 leaf of romaine lettuce. sometimes i add grass too if my mom hasnt mowed her lawn. in a few weeks ill be adding rose leaves and if i can find plaintain in a area away from a road ill add that too.
more hay obviously lol

bedtime - 10ml measure of allen and page and more dried bramble in the hay.

to check they are eating i use bramble now instead of pellets

and touch wood Alvin has not had stasis since 26th Feb :D

when that book comes and i move to the country in scotland im hoping to do a totally wild diet if i get the time to forage :D

Back