• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is life so cruel? Any spare vibes for Poppy please? U/D 10/8 She's gone

Thanks for your vibes & asking about our little fighter Linz, Sarah, Sue & Jane - there seems to have been a slight improvement with Poppy. She hasn't wee'd herself overnight & I can't see any more mucus. She has eaten quite well & poo'd normal poo's for me. Her breathing is still very rapid, but she is breathing through her nose rather than her mouth. She is still a little purple round her nose & mouth - but not as bad as she was on Thursday.

We're going to the vets at 9.30am, but I think looking at Poppy this morning although I know she's not good, it's not quite her time to go. Depending on what happens at the vets, I will book in to see Jane again on Monday & take things from there.

At the moment she's snuggled up in her inside cage quite relaxed in the front room - happily watching Noah :)

Best of luck at the vets this morning. Sending lots of vibes for Poppy too. x

Thanks guys for your thoughts & vibes. At the vets Poppy has had another depocillin injection to take her over the weekend. She was quite stressed at the vets, but since being home has relaxed in her cage & her breathing is much calmer. The vet we saw today thought that her left had side of her chest sounded ok ish, but her right hand side was really not good. He also thought she was pinker round her mouth than I thought.

Poppy is booked in again to see Jane on Monday, so we'll take things from there. We've decided that she won't be going back outside sadly to live with the big group. She's been indoors the last few nights & we've decided that although she loves being with the group, that she needs to stay indoors now so we can monitor her more closely. I just hope we've done the right thing :?

We'll keep taking things one day at a time & see how she goes on. It's so difficult to know what to do for the best, the last thing I want is to let her go before she's ready, but neither do I want her to suffer :?

I am so sorry you are having such a rough time, sending massive vibes for Poppy and great big (((hugs))) to you xx

I'm glad you are getting a little more time with Poppy :) You are definately doing the right thing by keeping her indoors, I'm sure she will really appreciate all the extra attention you will give her :D

Thanks guys - really appreciate your hugs & vibes xx

Did you mention the mucus in her poo before the Vet gave the Depocillin ?

Yes I did but he didn't say anything about it - is there something he's missed or perhaps shouldn't have done? Could the depocillin have caused the mucus?

Thanks guys - really appreciate your hugs & vibes xx

Yes I did but he didn't say anything about it - is there something he's missed or perhaps shouldn't have done? Could the depocillin have caused the mucus?

Well it is certainly something me and my Vet would have concerns about.
Depocillin is a high risk abx for causing gut dysbiosis. Mucus in the poo is a sign that all is not well in the guts.

In such circumstances I would ask my Vet about using Questran (Cholestyramine) if Depocillin had to be risked to combat a severe infection.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/questran.html

Last edited:
Well it is certainly something me and my Vet would have concerns about.
Depocillin is a high risk abx for causing gut dysbiosis. Mucus in the poo is a sign that all is not well in the guts.

In such circumstances I would ask my Vet about using Questran (Cholestyramine) if Depocillin had to be risked to combat a severe infection.

Thanks Jane, this is something I wasn't aware of. The vet we saw today is newly qualified which could explain why he didn't mention this or seem concerned by it :? Maybe the fact that I also said she had poo'd lots of what seem to be normal poos didn't concern him that much :(

Is Questran a drug that helps the guts whilst a bun is on depocillin?

ETA - Sorry Jane just seen the link you added - thanks, I will mention this to Jane on Monday.

Last edited:
Thanks Jane, this is something I wasn't aware of. The vet we saw today is newly qualified which could explain why he didn't mention this or seem concerned by it :? Maybe the fact that I also said she had poo'd lots of what seem to be normal poos didn't concern him that much :(

Is Questran a drug that helps the guts whilst a bun is on depocillin?

It is a med used in humans with raised cholesterol. In Buns it can be given if there is a high risk of gut dysbiosis. It is supposed to prevent the enterotoxins adhering to the gut wall causing enteritis and enterotoxaemia.

Questran saved Bobbies life when she developed a Penicillin induced enteritis.

It is a med used in humans with raised cholesterol. In Buns it can be given if there is a high risk of gut dysbiosis. It is supposed to prevent the enterotoxins adhering to the gut wall causing enteritis and enterotoxaemia.

Questran saved Bobbies life when she developed a Penicillin induced enteritis.

Thanks Jane, you're a godsend :)

At the moment Poppy hasn't passed any more mucus that I can see since last night & has been munching veggies & grass earlier. If she detoriates more before Monday, we will be taking her to the emergency vet - although I really don't like them :? They are not rabbit savvy in the least :(

Thanks Jane, you're a godsend :)

At the moment Poppy hasn't passed any more mucus that I can see since last night & has been munching veggies & grass earlier. If she detoriates more before Monday, we will be taking her to the emergency vet - although I really don't like them :? They are not rabbit savvy in the least :(

If you have some Fibreplex I'd start her on that today :)

I've just read all the posts, hang in there with her denise:cry:, with a little bit of luck she will pull through, as you said she is a fighter:). Andrew and I will keep sending those vibes:(:(

Thanks Jill & Yvette - we'll keep fighting for her as much as she want's to fight on herself :) Each day we have her with us is a blessing.

Back