• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why do rescues never reply?

The nearest RSPCA is in glasgow. I have no problem travelling for the perfect rabbit its just id rather meet them first if im honest. For some reason all the rescues round here are empty or have rabbits with special needs or elderly rabbits that are not up for adoption.

In that case, you could come down and meet the two papillions and (assuming the home check was ok - which I'm sure it would be) take them back with you if you liked them :D How am I doing on the convincing front?!! :lol:

I can't imagine us ever being empty. 10+ calls a day to hand in rabbits and re-homing is very slow :(:cry:

In that case, you could come down and meet the two papillions and (assuming the home check was ok - which I'm sure it would be) take them back with you if you liked them :D How am I doing on the convincing front?!! :lol:

oooh i would love another giant (think they are giant?) :love: but i already have a giant and id be scared they would both trample on little rufas' head :lol: Plus i dont think i have enough room :( Where about are you situated?

When I was looking for a bunny to bond with Benji after his neuter op I contacted my local rescue by sending two emails, one went unreplied to so I sent another which again got no reply.
I was desperate to rescue so called and left a message, and never got phoned back.
So I ended up with a preloved bunny, and to be honest I don't regret it..:)

oooh i would love another giant (think they are giant?) :love: but i already have a giant and id be scared they would both trample on little rufas' head :lol: Plus i dont think i have enough room :( Where about are you situated?

Doh :roll: Sorry - it was Breeze who was enquiring about the giants :oops: Me got confuddled :oops: We're in Leicestershire and have all shapes and sizes :D

Doh :roll: Sorry - it was Breeze who was enquiring about the giants :oops: Me got confuddled :oops: We're in Leicestershire and have all shapes and sizes :D

lol its okay :) Can i ask how you re-home nationally? Who does the bunny runs etc? :) Just being nosey :p

i put an ad up saying i was looking for a solo female, got a reply from a lady whos just sent me pictures of her, shes gorgeous and she is relaxed around dogs (have photos of her flopped out beside one) shes perfect really. Should i go for it??

I think the biggest consideration with a freead bun is the unknowns...

First, what if they don't bond? What would you do with her then? Do you have suitable accommodation/finances to keep a second single rabbit until she could be rehomed? Could you bring yourself to rehome her in that circumstance? Or would you end up keeping her then getting another two so that they all have a friend? Could you afford 4?

Second, what of her health? A decent rescue will know their buns inside out and will be up front with you about any potential problems. You may not know if this bun has syphillis, dental problems, mites, snuffles etc until you get her home, and then you will be responsible for all those vets bills.

Third, what about quarantine? You will need somewhere suitable to keep her separate for approximately 6 weeks or more before bonding, so that she can be quarantined, spayed and vaccinated before bonding.

I totally see your argument that you are rescuing her regardless of where she comes from, but I personally think that you're better off getting yours from a rescue where you get a bun ready to bond straight away and backup support if it doesn't work out, and by doing so, it will free up a space at the rescue for them to help out another bun like the one you have been offered :)

Im starting to feel really rubbish as ive contacted several rescues with only about two getting back to me. I know rescues are very very busy but i cant help feeling they just dont want to rehome a rabbit to me :( Im really rubbish speaking on the phone and i feel i dont get everything i want to say in a phone call which is why i opt for emailing. I know i could give a really good home to a rescue so it must be the way i word the email :?

ETA: this is not a slate at the rescues! I know they work very hard im just feeling down :)

Don't take it personally I have enquired about two which never happened. I could take it personally (which I did for a while)but decided it just wasn't meant to be. I believe everything happens for a reason just wait and see ... xx

I think the biggest consideration with a freead bun is the unknowns...

First, what if they don't bond? What would you do with her then? Do you have suitable accommodation/finances to keep a second single rabbit until she could be rehomed? Could you bring yourself to rehome her in that circumstance? Or would you end up keeping her then getting another two so that they all have a friend? Could you afford 4?

Second, what of her health? A decent rescue will know their buns inside out and will be up front with you about any potential problems. You may not know if this bun has syphillis, dental problems, mites, snuffles etc until you get her home, and then you will be responsible for all those vets bills.

Third, what about quarantine? You will need somewhere suitable to keep her separate for approximately 6 weeks or more before bonding, so that she can be quarantined, spayed and vaccinated before bonding.

I totally see your argument that you are rescuing her regardless of where she comes from, but I personally think that you're better off getting yours from a rescue where you get a bun ready to bond straight away and backup support if it doesn't work out, and by doing so, it will free up a space at the rescue for them to help out another bun like the one you have been offered :)

Good questions :thumb: These are the questions that have been running through my head also. I have a separate wendy house for her to stay in whilst she is spayed and being bonded. If bonding doesnt work out i will either have her as a house bunny until we move in a year then once we have more space i will get her a husbun. I dont think anyone can ever be positive on health really. In all honesty the rescues up here dont spay or vaccinate and dont seem very thorough like that even though they are really nice caring people so it wouldnt be much different than getting a gumtree bun.

Didnt mean anything offensive by this post, just realised after id posted it :oops: By not replying i mean weeks, i would understand if they took a few days to pass :)
I phoned a rescue today, i may sound remedial by saying that :lol: I just left a message though and im not holding much hope for them because i think they also breed which kind of defeats the purpose of being a breeder :?
I think ive fallen in love with a gumtree bun :oops: i put an ad up saying i was looking for a solo female, got a reply from a lady whos just sent me pictures of her, shes gorgeous and she is relaxed around dogs (have photos of her flopped out beside one) shes perfect really. Should i go for it??

Yes!! :D:D:D Every bun deserves a loving home. :love:

I hope you manage to find a bun. Unfortunately I think you are right that most of the rescues up here don't routinely neuter or vaccinate rabbits. Fife Rabbit Rescue does, but they have been slowly reducing their numbers and have had to close for the time being due to the weather and a few other things so only have a couple of buns looking for homes just now. I am not sure but I think maybe Collielover does, have you been in contact with her at all? There is the petterden SSPCA centre, which is between Forfar and Dundee, but again I don't think they routinely neuter rabbits.

The offer of a bunnyrun from Honeybunnies seems like a good option, or I don't see anything wrong with taking on the gumtree bun if you are fully prepared to deal with the issues that Santa has brought up :)

I hope you manage to find a bun. Unfortunately I think you are right that most of the rescues up here don't routinely neuter or vaccinate rabbits. Fife Rabbit Rescue does, but they have been slowly reducing their numbers and have had to close for the time being due to the weather and a few other things so only have a couple of buns looking for homes just now. I am not sure but I think maybe Collielover does, have you been in contact with her at all? There is the petterden SSPCA centre, which is between Forfar and Dundee, but again I don't think they routinely neuter rabbits.

The offer of a bunnyrun from Honeybunnies seems like a good option, or I don't see anything wrong with taking on the gumtree bun if you are fully prepared to deal with the issues that Santa has brought up :)

Yeah have been in contact with collielover, she doesnt have any females just now of the right age. It really is a problem up here with spaying, fife rabbit rescue is the only rescue i have found that spay the rabbits before re-homing. I have decided to give the gumtree rabbit a miss mainly because she lives in england and i wouldnt travel that far to find that its un-healthy, i dont know her so cant take her word for it

Have you tried Runky animal rescue, they say on there website they have just done a big rescue of dwarf rabbits. I don't know them at all but worth a try. Type Runky animal rescue into google and then you have to go to ratztail forum to see the animals they have for rehoming. They are based in Aberdeen.
it may also be worth trying the Willows as they may have rabbits, also Mrs Murray's cat and dog home sometimes have rabbits.:)

Thanks for the links :D Emailed runky rescue, havnt heard back yet. Is willows willow cottage or something? I left them a message today. Mrs murrays cat and dog home only currently have males at the moment. Im checking all these different sites every day but i really have tried everything in aberdeen. Scotland is quite dire for rescues tbh :/
I will call SSPCA tommorow mini mallow :wave: They are really cute x

Thanks for the links :D Emailed runky rescue, havnt heard back yet. Is willows willow cottage or something? I left them a message today. Mrs murrays cat and dog home only currently have males at the moment. Im checking all these different sites every day but i really have tried everything in aberdeen. Scotland is quite dire for rescues tbh :/
I will call SSPCA tommorow mini mallow :wave: They are really cute x

Its The Willows Animal Sanctuary in New Pistligo, they are struggling financially so may be happy to rehome.
Also be worth keeping an eye in P@H, they quite often have rabbits in the rehoming section. If I hear of anything at my vet I'll let you know.:)

Its The Willows Animal Sanctuary in New Pistligo, they are struggling financially so may be happy to rehome.
Also be worth keeping an eye in P@H, they quite often have rabbits in the rehoming section. If I hear of anything at my vet I'll let you know.:)

Ive been in the P@H adoption centre 3 times this week :oops: All males too! So strange that theres hardly any girls for re-homing. I didnt know willows re-homed rabbits? Thank you. Im looking at the SSPCA site and finding it quite sad reading, they have separated pairs and brothers and sisters :( Upsetting.

Minimallow- have you seen callum :love: Wish i could have a boy he is lush!

He's gorgeous isn't he :D:love::love: The buns there (unless its changed since the last time i was there) are in those "box" type cages like what are in the vets. Feel sorry for them :(

Ive been in the P@H adoption centre 3 times this week :oops: All males too! So strange that theres hardly any girls for re-homing. I didnt know willows re-homed rabbits? Thank you. Im looking at the SSPCA site and finding it quite sad reading, they have separated pairs and brothers and sisters :( Upsetting.

I think they occasionally rehome and sometimes get rabbits dumped on their doorstep. Its worth asking.

Back