• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why did you choose rabbits?

When I was little I wanted a rabbit because I thought that because I was born in the year of the rabbit they would instantly like me. My parents bought me a beautiful black buck for my 7th or 8th birthday and we named him Midnight. We where new to rabbits as we'd had cats previously, so when we did some research we found that we should really have another to keep Midi company. At the time mum and dad swore he was a girl (Ignored me telling them it was a boy, even though I had sexed him myself, which i was very proud of doing at that age) and bought an 11 week old pure white, dwarf lop from the local pet store (we called her Magic due to her resembling a magician's bunny). As soon as we put them together Midnight mounted her and we decided to separate them. We took Midnight to the vets a few days later for his first shot and found out he was a boy. Now we still don't know exactly how it happened but about 2-3 months later, on easter sunday we went to clean them out and found three kitlings! We think that my younger sister thought it would be funny for them to 'play' together and was letting them both out at the same time but we still don't know. Either way they where our first litter and the only ones we kept as they where our real easter bunnies.
So the out of the rabbits that where "mine", Midnight lived with us for just under 9 years and we thing he was about 2 when we got him so he was a very old bunny. Magic and the buck of the litter, Sockx caught a virus that was going round which sadly killed a large number of rabbits in the area and we had to have Misty put down when she developed cancer at the age of 5.

Things have been pretty busy these past few years so we decided it wasn't fair to get any more bunnies until I'd settled down which I have now. If I ever move to a bigger house I might consider offering space as a rescue but unfortunately for the time being, there isn't enough room for that many.

Now I'm just a rabbit person, I think they're incredibly funny and loving little creatures who can be just as affectionate as a cat or a dog. I've never owned a bunny I didn't get on with, regardless of how grumpy they may be with other people. Even now, both our boys prefer me to my housemate, even though she doesn't treat them any differently.

I remember my seeing some adorable wildies playing in a field one day when I was on a family walk. My mum started telling me how she'd had bunnies as a child, and I decided then that I wanted a rabbit. We had gerbils at the time, who were more than enough, and it was actually 5 years, and a lot of building and buying later, when I got the boys.

I've had them for nearly 6 years now, and love them to bits! :D

My first pet was a cat, but I was really young when we had it. When I was 7 I got a rabbit for a pet, and It was left mainly as my responsibility. I wanted to do the best for my rabbit, so I spent almost everyday on the internet looking up info about rabbits. I just fell in love with them :love:

I'm not aloud to keep a dog in my flat so I thought a long time about getting a rabbit I was looking into getting a Belgain Hare from a breeder but because I don't drive it would be hard for me to get there, aswel as the same time looking on the net for other buns that were looking for a new home. Then oneday I came across Tigerlilly and now she is mine and she is lovely :)

I hadnt planned on a bunny but had had a few previously years before.
Went into a pet shop to get some gerbil food and saw a wee bunny in a just under 3 foot hutch being sold as a "package" Bunny and Hutch for £50. Was told the bunny was netherland dwarf (shes not shes a Xnethie) and that i was getting a fantastic deal as they sell for £25 - but the hutch on its own was worth £45 so i was getting the bunny for a fiver. Hence her name - Fiver.
Felt so sorry for her and took her home. Kept the hutch for a couple days and used it as a "base" for her with an indoor pen attached. Then threw the old hutch out and got a new bigger one. Decided she'd be best with a friend as i was pregnant at the time and needed the bedroom for the baby so wanted to make arrangements for her to live outside - and thought shed need a friend.
Went to CARROT rescue and got friend and then was addicted.

my mate kept having baby rabbits and making me want one :evil:... i looked online and decided house rabbits are too destructive for me so i resisted...

we bought a dog back from stes mom in scotland as she was a deaf collie the farmer had no use for and my mom was desperate for a heart filler after a year of being dogless.. she was too much for my mom :shock:, and she came to live with me for the 2 weeks after her spay and i grew in love so much, shes deffo a ladies dog :love::love::love::love:.. sadly Ralph and Ste didnt agree :cry::cry::cry: and she went back to Ste's mom.

broken hearted i said to ste i wanted a rabbit (forgot about the destruction part lol) and got Alvin that night (before the cage even came :lol:)

and that is that.... Sassy is happily growing up in the country where she belongs and ive found my soul pet :love::love::love::love:

did ask for rabbits as a kid but my dad said it was cruel to keep them in a hutch when they should be running free.. no bunnies for me growing up :cry:
probably the deep routed reason i cant bear the thought of keeping a rabbit outside in a hutch :?

I wanted a rabbit as a child so after a long time of begging my parents let me have one for my 9th birthday. It lived with a guinea pig (I know) outside in a hutch/run combo but died after about a yr. I cant remember why- but I remember my parents taking it to the vet and it being in the study in the hosue when it was poorly.

We then got another rabbit called Dusti to live with the guinea pig who was absolutely gorgeous. He followed me everywhere and was like a little dog. The guinea pig died when he was about 3 and Dusti lived the rest of the his yrs on his own, unneautered.

He had free range of the garden and I played with him every day after school for hours. I really loved him. He had his incisors removed as they were growing at an angle, then got a dental absess but battled through it all and eventually died aged 8 the week before I went to uni. I was guttered.

I then didnt have any pets while I was at uni but last October time I saw Graham in P&H adoption and fell in love with him. After about a week of begging the OH he agreed. I then found this place and have learned so much!

I had 2 guinea pigs who live in the garden untill Chip died, then I brought Toby in my bedroom so she wouldn't be as lonley. She died excatly a week after her sister.

I had the room set up with hay and water and food bowls, all guinea pig proofed, so I decided that I'd pop down p@h and get a rabbit before the football started :shock: Went down there saw Nunzeo, my sis who was with me said she wanted one too, so I brought Marley, both boys. Put them in my bedroom, went down and watched the footie and left them to it.

Marley Moo now lives with 2 girlfriends in a shed with a massive garden and 4 hoomins in the house. Nunzeo lived with his girlfriend in the bedroom next to mine.

My Grandad bought me and my sister one when I was five. I loved him to bits, and used to come home and tell Peter about my day rather than my mum (poor mum). I now know that his hutch was far too small, but he was a lovely lovely boy and had lots of fun in the garden.

Ever since I've not been without one apart from for 3 months after Peter died. Then we got two dutch sisters, one for me and one for my sister. Loved Blackie so much.... then when her sister died, my sister fell in love with Acorn (aka Mr Fluff) at petsmart (he was naughty back then, nipped her and legged it). She lost interest and Blackie and Fluffs were my bunnies really. When Blackie died we grieved together and thats when I really really fell in love ( and Fluffy fell in love with my slippers :roll:). Fern followed, but was very aggressive with him, she got a new friend, and Fluffs became my man and moved inside.

When I got back from uni, and rented a place with my boyf, Fluffs came too and now we're even more inseperable than before. I love having him as a house bunny, and he had a new lease of life when he was removed from my Dads house and became free range. He's now 11.

And then I got four more who live happily outside. But I need a bigger house for any more. I love dogs too but there is something so special about a bunny's trust :love:

I bought our first bun for my son's 10th birthday. His Dad had not long walked out on us, then we had to have our dog put down. I wanted to get him a pet but didn't really like little furries such as hamster/gerbil and didn't want the commitment of another dog. A rabbit seemed to fit the bill. I bought her from a garden centre with a guniea pig to keep her company :oops:

We loved her to bits and when the guinea pig died we had to get her a bun friend and along came all the others! She died at the beginning of May and we will never forget what a special bun she was. I don't think I could be without buns now :love:

I had my first bun, Lipperty, when I was 2 years old. My mum looked after her but she was my bunny. She was given to me when my sister was born and I loved her very much. She was a beautiful REW. We moved house when I was 10 and I started a new school. On my first day at the new school I was talking to another girl and she asked me what was the worst thing that could happen to me. I replied saying it would be if Lipperty died. Well I got home from school that day and she had died :cry: She was 8. I felt guilty for ages afterwards thinking that she had only died because I'd been talking about it.

Then no more bunnies, a few GP's but I didnt like them as much.

Fast forward 20 years...I got Peter from a petshop. Gave o/h the excuse that he was for the children when he was really for me. I thought about getting a friend for him but everyone that I asked said male rabbits had to live alone. Wish I'd found this forum sooner. Then 2 months ago my boss, who breeds rabbits, bought some into work. I wasnt going to have one despite how cute they were. Then I was looking at a tiny black and white one, much smaller than all the others. She told me that the bun was supposed to be going to a family she knew would be unsuitable, can't share why, and I couldnt let it happen so Mopsy came into our lives.

Then I found this forum trying to find out if it was possible for Peter and Mopsy to be together.

Today Peter and Mopsy are happily bonded and I have 2 more rescue bunnies Leo and Lila.

I am totally in love with them all! :love:
Thank you RU!

first bun, hunnybunny, was gift when i was three. i remember he 'disappeared' and i have no idea what happened to him - he was a dutch, honey coloured, of course. then a pair of black dutch, sugar and spice, and some of their offspring, we had for some years. after that, no bunnies until my daughter was five and demanding pets, so we got hug and snug (honey coloured). another gap, then in 2007 daughter, now married, said she was having bunnies and if they didn't suit when she was ready to sprog, would i take them in. i agreed, but said i wanted some baby buns of my own. so, she got two real beauties. i looked on the internet, saw two, thought 'they're mine', went to meet them and clearly they were and are 'mine'. in their early youth they were orange mini lops, very bright. now, they're sooty fawns, i should say! matthew is a beauty, but snipped. tabitha is, by breed standards, ugly. she is also a danger rabbit. but, she is much loved.

and in between, a dog, countless gerbils and hamsters. best hamster, 'fluffy', a long haired, honey coloured creature with a charming nature. much bigger than the average hamster. lovely. her mother was a very large black long haired beast. i'd like another long haired hamster, and i'd like some guinea pigs. hehehe.

rabbits choose me :lol: our first bunny thumper was found wondering round my nan's garden a minute later a dog jumped other fence just as my cousin caught the rabbit it was after it, no one came forward for the bunny, she licked me alot and i fell in love with her, so thats how we came to have bunnies today:)

I ended up hamster sitting for a friend and which made me want a pet of my own. I only went into pets at home to have a look and I came out with Oliver and £120 of stuff for him :shock:

He's the best stupid thing I've ever done :love: I wouldn't ever be without him. Then I had him neutered and started thinking about getting a friend for him so I adopted Ebs from Fat Fluffs :D

My o/h really really really wanted one. He's always wanted one, and never owned one before. And I'm a sucker for anything cute.

I've had rabbits in the past but the reason i decided to get rabbits again is because my boyfriend and I wanted a baby ;)

Saffy is an evil baby though, if she was a real child we would give her a smacked bottom :lol:

I always wanted a bunny and Mum never let me. Fair enough.

I still think Squishy picked us. She was so inquisitive and interested in us we just had to have her :) She was the most amazing bunny ever and I miss her soooooooo much :cry:

Nibbles was a case of my Mum buying me a book which said "Bunnies like friends" so I went out and bought a new bunny. She was VERY cute as a bubby, but we had no idea about bonding and they ended up seperate.

Bobby we got as a husbun for Nibbles. We went to Barnsley to see him and I fell for him straight away. He was a little angel and he loved Nibbles :) He was my first rescue :) He died in December

Wuzzle was an impulse rescue :lol: He's a bit of a legend buny on here and there was a bit of a race to adopt him :D We got him as a husbun for Biscuit (Squishy) and they were just the sweetest couple ever!!

Minnie & Dylan were brother & sister. They were an impulse rescue too. We didn't need another pair of bunnies, but I fell for Minnie when she was only a tiny little baby and had just opened her eyes. We named her Dink until I knew she was mine. She was the runt of the litter, but never stopped the mayhem. She really was a horror! She died just before they turned 6 months old.

Pheebs was a bunny from RSPCA we got as a wifey for Dylan. She had been neglected and we gave her a 2nd chance at life. Sadly she died a month later and left Dylan as a bachelor again :(

Wookie was from Barnsley like Bobby, and we got him to go with Nibbles after Bobby died. He's a big fluffy lump and I love big fluffy lump bunnies :lol:

Peaches is also from Barnsley and she lives with Wuzzle. I fell for her the moment I saw her on here as she reminded me of Bobby :love: She's sooooooooo pretty :love:

My daughter was pestering, finally we gave in and so on MY birthday 2005 we got Fluffy!![from a pet shop] I knew nothing about bunnies but had said all along that I wouldnt have a bun if it had to be kept in a hutch all day.[If I see buns,piggies etc in hutches and birds in cages I feel "choked" and cant breath].Reading books.on the web etc I soon found out that buns need company and as it happens my neighbours doe had an accidental litter so Daisy joined us.Sadly Fluffy died last November so Loppy joined us from Fat Fluffs!!:D

I had two bunnies when I was little but of course Mum looked after them (very well as it turned out, she was way ahead of her time). I never paid any attention to them. I have felt guilty ever since :oops:.

I love animals but have only recently been in a position to get them. I live in a flat so a dog is unsuitable and hubby hates cats, mice and rats. We looked into rabbits to appease my guilt. I researched rabbits for 18 months!!! One day we went to a friend's house and she was trying to get rid of her very very neglected hutch bunny (3ft hutch!!!). We got her last Summer and four months later we went to a rescue centre and got her a friend. It was love-at-first-sight and now they are inseparable.

I thought I wanted cuddle buns but actually what I really love about my bunnies is watching them play together and dead-bunny flopped 'spoons-style'.

I have become totally obsessed and will always have rabbits - as many as possible for the space and cost. Cuddle rabbits would be nice but mostly I want to rescue rabbits that have had a miserable life and know that I have made them happier. It gives me great pleasure to see them happy. I can watch them for hours...

Emma

Back