• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why did my rabbit die? Was it the cat litter??? Please share your knowledge.

Unless a FREE RANGE house bunny I would always keep bunnies in pairs or groups.
I used to have 3 bunnies and now I have 5! Cleaning takes no longer :)

Hi there I will try to answer in red (if I can work out how to do it) :lol:

Uwe I’m not into buying things online, I’ve never done that before.
k020.gif
Timothy Hay is supposed to be the best right though?
a050.gif

Not to worry, yes try to find timothy hay which isn't dusty but is nice and dry and smells sweet not mouldy. Do you have a farm nearby maybe they have some hay?

Biscuit looks lovely. Thank you :D
a078.gif
I was thinking of getting a browny lop myself as I didn’t want one that looked like Henry or Bunny. I think Biscuit has more space than my pen at home.
Biscuit is lucky to have our space room but she unfortunely doesn't have any outside space at the moment.
f010.gif
I couldn’t have my pen made an inch bigger though as the wood wouldn’t fit up the stairs, the living room door had to be taken off and paintwork scuffed to get in up.
c050.gif
I wasn’t sure how hygenic and well behaved Henry would be so that’s why I built a pen inside his room. I love the painted wood paneling in his room and I didn’t want him getting his teeth around it.
c045.gif
Also I didn’t know if he’d pee in the corners and it’d get minging.
e022.gif

I love your room, and yes bunnies can dig, scratch and general distroy things so I think the things you have done to prevent this is really good :D
Does Biscuit not get burnt by your radiator?
[COLOR="Red"]We only moved in a couple of months ago so have not had heating on yet, I did ask on here about radiator covers, but the majority of people said bunnies are quite sensible and won't go near it when on, I may have to have a re-think when winter comes.[/COLOR]
http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/konfus/a035.gif Luckily there isn’t one where Henry’s pen is, it’s on the other wall but by putting the pen in it meant I couldn’t get to the only electrical socket in the room - another reason why I put up the wood pen walls, I didn’t want him frying himself one day.
c055.gif
I put polystyrene packaging down the side of Henry’s pen just incase he jumped the wall, I was worried he’d crack his head on the laminate floor, I thought about a lot of safety hazards, shame I wasn’t so wary of the cat litter.
e015.gif
I’ve taken out the polystyrene packaging now, when I get a new bunny it won’t try and jump the pen walls will it?
[COLOR="Red"]Biscuit hardly jumps any height at all, but I know many bunnies are great jumpers.[/COLOR]
http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/konfus/a015.gif The pen walls are just above waist height on me, I’m 5 ft 4. I saw a bunny called Oliver at the rescue centre bounce right over breeze block walls at chest height with ease!
a095.gif
He wanted to bonk female bunnies and just leapt from pen to pen.
n045.gif
Henry wasn’t much of a jumper, he’d do about a foot, I never saw him jump onto anything much higher. Are different breeds more jumpy?
c010.gif
Oliver had sticking up ears, lops look a bit fatter and less athletic don’t they?
k015.gif
When I get another bunny I’ll try doing what I did with Henry and try to keep all cardboard boxes and wood boxes away from the sides of the pen so it doesn’t use them as a helping hand over the sides, I bet it would hurt landing if it got it’s back legs caught over the top.
k025.gif

Does Biscuit not chew the fabric stuff?
[COLOR="Red"]Bisuit's flooring is hardboard, so have covered carpet, she has a rug which she lays on which she doesn't chew, she also has a vet bed which she leaves alone. She sometimes has a crafty chew of her towel. But mainly she wants to distroy willow balls, and her cardboard box.[/COLOR]
http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/konfus/c025.gif Do you think it’s dangerous of me to put in a footstool with fabric top (conveniently at head chewing height
k050.gif
). Do you think stuffed toys are not a good idea?
a050.gif
The woman at the rescue centre seemed to give toys to bunnies not paired up as company for them so I presumed it was fine.
Just keep an eye to see if bunny starts chewing soft toy if he does then remove it, Biscuit has never had one.

Again I will try to answer in red

How long each day do you spend with Biscuit?
c028.gif
I spent 20 mins in a morning cleaning up Henry’s pen, feeding him and giving him a good bye stroking before I went to work each morning and then on a night I’d usually be with him 1 and a half hours, part of that time cleaning up again, the rest spent stroking him and maybe reading him a magazine or something depending on if he was being unsociable or not.

[COLOR="Red"]In the morning while I get ready for work at about 6am I let Biscuit out of her room until I leave at 7.45am, I clean her litter tray, get her veg, while she follows me up and down the stairs and runs around our bedroom. I then either shut her in her room when I leave or if she is flat out in our bedroom I leave her there so my hubby can sort when he wakes up (she hates his snorning).[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]My hubby is a taxi driver so is home most days, and lets her run around house if she wants to, but mainly she dozes for most of the day.

I get back home at 5.30, let her out, but she doesn't normally appear downstairs to get her veg until about 8pm, then last night she watched TV with me until midnight.

But it can vary we may go out in the evening so we feed her beforehand and have to give her lots of fuss on our return.[/COLOR]

http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/k015.gif If he was in one of his running away moods then I’d read.
e006.gif
Weekends I’d have more time to kill.
g040.gif

What’s an ice pod?
p070.gif

An ice pod is the pink thing in my pics, you can find them in the larger pet stores, you put in freezer overnight then give to bunny during a hot day, Biscuit lays her paws and head on it.
I must admit his room did get humid in the hot spell we had a few weeks ago, mind you it was hot everywhere.
[COLOR="Red"]When it was really hot we had frozen plastic bottles around her room, her windows open (if there was any wind), curtains drawn, fan on and icepod on floor, cold veg and ice cubes in her water bowl.[/COLOR]

http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/konfus/a050.gif & I deliberately avoided taking him out to my mum’s to his old outdoor pen at that time because I thought he’d get heatsroke in the sun what with him not being used to sun for so long. I don’t have a fan I could use but if I got another bunny I’d consider taking it downstairs on a night which would be a bit cooler. If you look on my first pen picture there’s a white box behind the pink one, that’s a £30 indoor rabbit box which I got for Henry with the intention that I could move him around the house and he could spend more time with me but he absolutely hated it.
c055.gif
I tried several times to get him used to the living room whilst I watched TV, I had the sound down and tried stroking him in it but he was scared stiff, I think it may have been the flashing light of the TV that scared him I’m not sure.
hmn.gif
Are bunnies usually scared of TVs?
[COLOR="Red"]Biscuit took a long time to venture from her room, but with a few rasins and plantain, she took a few steps downstairs, then into the living room. She doesn't venture into the kitchen and we have bunny tunnels around the house so if she gets scared she can zoom into one of those. Biscuit has a radio on during the day so is used to voices and the TV no longer bothers her.[/COLOR]
http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/konfus/a040.gif Anyway, if Henry had of enjoyed trips downstairs I’d have had him down with me on a night for a bit which would have helped a bit with the heat on extremely humid days.

Why are magazines not good for bunnies?
p020.gif
That could be a problem if I have to do away with them. Those photos were taken when he first moved to my house, over the months I put down more and more magazines because of his mucky bottom problem, it was a lot easier to just bin the top layers of magazines daily than to scrub the floor or ruin perfectly nice pieces of large cardboard. Try newspaper It would be fabulous to get a bunny who doesn’t leave a mess wherever he sits but I was just going to carry on the Heat magazine tradition and cover the floor again with mags. I also thought it would be fun for chewing without injury.
a050.gif
I did try with newspaper once but it made Henry’s paws all black and he’d lick them, I thought the ink may not be good for him so stopped.
Henry never swallowed any paper BTW, he just enjoyed ripping things I’d just neatly laid down.
g035.gif

Unless a FREE RANGE house bunny I would always keep bunnies in pairs or groups.
I used to have 3 bunnies and now I have 5! Cleaning takes no longer :)
Bet it costs more though.
k015.gif
Does fighting occur?
a015.gif
I was always worried Henry would make random unprovoked attacks as he’d turn and bite me for no reason when he was happily relaxed being stroked.
k050.gif
I was also so worried about his beautiful ears being torn and ruined.
e025.gif
If I got two would they feel they didn’t want me around?
a050.gif
Like be happy by themselves and not want to be with me when I was there.
a050.gif
I was also worried about being able to tell if one was sick or not eating properly or pooing properly if I got two, you wouldn’t be able to tell would you?
a050.gif
I see lone bunnies all the time in hutches, is it really cruel for them to be on their own or is it only recommended to get two? Just a preferred choice as it makes them a bit happier?
a050.gif
Do they need a constant companion or do they feel satisfied if they have human company? I mean I wasn’t there all the time for Henry but when I was there I cuddled him and stroked him and get him into a licking frenzy and excited with all the strokes and massaging I gave him. I sort of thought maybe he preferred sudden flows of love like that rather than just sitting by another bunny half asleep.
a050.gif
Another bunny couldn’t get him as excitable as I could.
a050.gif
I can’t decide if I should get one or two.
a010.gif
I mean which would I go up to on a night and stroke?
a050.gif
If I got two their love would be halved.
087.gif
& I’m so tight, I’m just thinking cost, cost, cost.
f010.gif

Not to worry, yes try to find timothy hay which isn't dusty but is nice and dry and smells sweet not mouldy. Do you have a farm nearby maybe they have some hay?
There’s farms nearby although I’ve never spoken to the owners.
a050.gif
I imagine the hay my mum’s best friend gets for her horses comes from a farm though. I’ll probably try and blag some of that off her, it can go in the litter tray.

Biscuit is lucky to have our space room but she unfortunely doesn't have any outside space at the moment.
Yeah I don’t really have outside space at my house either for a bunny. Well I could buy a mesh ark and sit it on the grass but I couldn’t just let one loose in either the back or front garden as it could escape easily. But my mum’s pen lays empty so I may as well just take it up there for days out.

Yeah come to think of it Henry did used to scratch and dig at my laminate floor, the little devil.
k050.gif
Yeah, that was one of the reasons why I covered it up more. I’d forgotten.
a080.gif

We only moved in a couple of months ago so have not had heating on yet, I did ask on here about radiator covers, but the majority of people said bunnies are quite sensible and won't go near it when on, I may have to have a re-think when winter comes.
It’s a good job bunnies ain’t like iguanas then and can burn themselves to death.
k020.gif

Biscuit hardly jumps any height at all, but I know many bunnies are great jumpers.
Gees, I hope the new one or two won’t hurt themselves at my place.
087.gif

Bisuit's flooring is hardboard, so have covered carpet, she has a rug which she lays on which she doesn't chew, she also has a vet bed which she leaves alone. She sometimes has a crafty chew of her towel. But mainly she wants to distroy willow balls, and her cardboard box.
I’ve never tried willow balls before. Henry had a wood chew block but he never chewed it since we moved home, it just got covered in fur and became a health hazard so it’s just as well.
k015.gif

Maybe if it has a foam type filling this wouldn't be ideal
I suppose I could leave the foot stool out of the pen and just bring it in when I’m about.
f060.gif

Just keep an eye to see if bunny starts chewing soft toy if he does then remove it, Biscuit has never had one.
Henry attacked Patch quite a bit, I had to sew him up, but he loved his toy to death, he was often licking him.
g106.gif
& he attacked a couple of other toys just a little, just bit holes in them and didn’t tear them to pieces. With such sharp teeth they can easy do damage.

In the morning while I get ready for work at about 6am I let Biscuit out of her room until I leave at 7.45am, I clean her litter tray, get her veg, while she follows me up and down the stairs and runs around our bedroom. I then either shut her in her room when I leave or if she is flat out in our bedroom I leave her there so my hubby can sort when he wakes up (she hates his snorning).
Uwe.
a015.gif
I wouldn’t let Henry roam the house, firstly because I have cream carpets and there’s no way I’d let that sh*tty bottom near it daily.
k050.gif
& secondly because I feared for his safety.
105.gif
I let him out a few times/he escaped through the door, and I’d hover over him on high guard watching his every move.
k015.gif
I was so nervous for his safety plus safety of my belongings.
g035.gif
& I didn’t know bunnies could go up and down stairs.
k040.gif
That was one of my fears, that he’d just tumbled head over foot down them.
c045.gif
The balustrade is near his room and I also worried he’d walk striaght through the wood bars and plummet.
k025.gif
Every morning I was obsessed with closing the toilet seat before work just incase he escaped from his pen and drowned in the loo, that's how fussy and paranoid I was.
f010.gif

My hubby is a taxi driver so is home most days, and lets her run around house if she wants to, but mainly she dozes for most of the day.

I get back home at 5.30, let her out, but she doesn't normally appear downstairs to get her veg until about 8pm, then last night she watched TV with me until midnight.

But it can vary we may go out in the evening so we feed her beforehand and have to give her lots of fuss on our return.
It sounds more convenient for a bunny to live like a child, I always found it hard to fit in eating, watching telly, and spending time in Henry’s room on weekday nights. I’d go to bed at around 10.30pm – 11pm and get up each day at 5.55am and that would leave me knackered by Friday.
k015.gif
I sure hope the next bunny or two enjoys TV cos it really would be useful to spend time in other parts of the house with it.
g040.gif

An ice pod is the pink thing in my pics, you can find them in the larger pet stores, you put in freezer overnight then give to bunny during a hot day, Biscuit lays her paws and head on it.
An amazing contraption!
k040.gif
I’ll consider buying one if they’re not too expensive.
g040.gif

When it was really hot we had frozen plastic bottles around her room, her windows open (if there was any wind), curtains drawn, fan on and icepod on floor, cold veg and ice cubes in her water bowl.
You put in a lot of effort.
k015.gif
I was amazed at how hot Henry’s room got in the humid spell we’ve had, his room is at the back of the house and in winter would only get the sun in the morning, but in summer there is no sun beating into his room because of the massive tree in front, I don’t understand why it gets as hot as it does.
a050.gif
I think if he were at his old pen outside though he’d be hotter though cos he’d sunbathe even on the hottest of days.
c055.gif
& it’s a p*sser I can’t leave the windows open when I’m out, if I could I’m sure that would help matters greatly.
a010.gif
I might try all the frozen things, I’d never thought of that before.
d055.gif

Biscuit took a long time to venture from her room, but with a few rasins and plantain, she took a few steps downstairs, then into the living room. She doesn't venture into the kitchen and we have bunny tunnels around the house so if she gets scared she can zoom into one of those. Biscuit has a radio on during the day so is used to voices and the TV no longer bothers her.
I picked up Henry and carried him into my bedroom once and he panicked like mad, I had to take him right out, his heart was pounding so hard.
f010.gif
He eventually after nearly a year got curious enough to go in there, he’d stood a meter from it and looked in often enough.
k015.gif
Yeah, I’d like a bunny who comes into other rooms but only with my supervision, I’d worry constantly at work if I let one run loose.
k015.gif

Newspaper is slightly less harmful if they are into shreading, although most people on here would suggest a large cardboard box filled with hay instead.
I don’t mind leaving an area for attacking,
g040.gif
Henry had a box with hay but he rarely went to it. My main problem with Henry was that he malted so much and I didn’t like hay lying around because within minutes fluff would become entangled in it.
wobblyeyes.gif
If I got a bunny who was less of a malting problem I’d leave a pile of ripped up newspaper for playing in or something. Does your bunny malt heaps?
a050.gif
My first bunny didn’t but Henry’s fur was a constant nightmare even when he lived outside.
c055.gif
I’d be talking to him and then choke on floating fur.
c050.gif
Looking at the amounts that came off him I’m amazed he wasn’t bald.
h020.gif

Try newspaper
OK, can do.
g040.gif
But does the ink of it not harm them if they are constantly on it?
a050.gif

Biscuit very rarely has a runny bottom problem so really look into what you are feeding your future bunny, as this isn't normal and can cause fly strike.
Flies are barred from my house.
d010.gif

I don’t think I ever fed Henry that poorly.
a050.gif
His diet was the same as Bunny’s had been and Bunny never had that problem. Later on with Henry I probably spoiled him more with fruity mix, in fact I’d say Bunny sometimes had the worse diet. When I got him dandelions I’d get a full bag full (like loads) and he’s wolf the lot. We’d give him loads of blackberries and plums and he never had a pooey bottom, there must have been something going on with inside of Henry that wasn’t right, I’m hoping that’s the reason or influencing reason why he died.
a010.gif
Plus I didn’t overdose him with fruit at all because I knew afterwards it might give him the sh*ts.
a050.gif

Oh I see, silly bunny
k015.gif
My first bunny used to have perm black paws, luckily touch wood Biscuit has been fine and very clean, only using her litter tray.
Henry’s white paws went pretty black even after short periods on newspaper.
a050.gif
It concerned me cos he’d lick his paws and clean them quite a bit. What is it that’s so wrong with magazine paper?
a040.gif
The dye doesn’t come off. Is it only harmful if digested?
a015.gif

Thanks for responding so much Clare, you’re a star.
a066.gif

Just one more thing
a035.gif
…… and it’s a bit of an odd one
k015.gif
……. do loud clocks annoy rabbits?
a015.gif
Henry seemed extremely deaf (not totally) but I’m sure the clock in his room didn’t cause much distress but to a normal bunny with sensitive hearing are they the most annoying things ever?
c010.gif
It’s real loud tick tocking it does, one of Argos’ £1.33 clocks.
risa-mano.gif

My mum was talking in the local pet shop yesterday to the girl that works there who keeps rabbits herself and giving her the news that Henry had died and she said that one of her rabbits had died from eating shredded paper.
a015.gif
She had 3 together and only one used to eat it and that one died.
e025.gif
Who’d have thought that paper could kill?!
087.gif
Anorexics eat it don’t they and they’re OK?
a050.gif

hi sue :wave:sorry to hear about your bunny henry.he was gorgeous and i bet he was very happy in his room.i have lost 4 buns in the past 2 years and it is so heart breaking.every time i have wracked my brains thinking the 'what ifs'and 'was there anything else i could have done' sadly bunnys' are very delicate animals and can get very poorly very quickly.there is not much anyone can say to make you feel better at a time like this.however,as i'm sure you have already found,there are lots of lovely people here who will always be here with kind words of support.hope you're feeling better soon.x

Hi Sue :wave: Sorry to hear about Henry :( he was a beautiful bunny :love: As many others have said, the only way you wouldve known what he died from was a PM :(

With regards to the runny bottom Henry used to have... i see you used to feed him a fruity mix? Its best to keep bunnies on a 80% hay diet, then the other 20% made up with a small amount of pellets (science selective or excel) and then veg. also... buns cant have any fruit that has a stone in it :? I saw u mentioned plums. Its best to stick to green veg, cabbage, spring greens, cauli leaves etc :)

Hope this helps. Glad youve found the forum, you'll learn lots here :)xXx

hi sue :wave:sorry to hear about your bunny henry.he was gorgeous and i bet he was very happy in his room.i have lost 4 buns in the past 2 years and it is so heart breaking.every time i have wracked my brains thinking the 'what ifs'and 'was there anything else i could have done' sadly bunnys' are very delicate animals and can get very poorly very quickly.there is not much anyone can say to make you feel better at a time like this.however,as i'm sure you have already found,there are lots of lovely people here who will always be here with kind words of support.hope you're feeling better soon.x
You’re nice mimi.
a078.gif
Thanks for your kind words.

4 dead bunnies in 2 years hey?!
a030.gif
That’s awful.
087.gif
Were they old? How did they die?
c025.gif

BTW – Morrisons got back to me today about my enquiry about is their Value cat litter made from clay.
a035.gif
The answer: - it’s magnesium tricilicate clay that will clump. Also it has an anti bacterial agent in it and yep, it’s defo not good for it to be digested.
e025.gif

Hi Sue :wave: Sorry to hear about Henry :( he was a beautiful bunny :love: As many others have said, the only way you wouldve known what he died from was a PM :(
I think the cost would have been worth knowing now.
n015.gif
But it’s too late now, I’m not digging him up.
a050.gif

With regards to the runny bottom Henry used to have... i see you used to feed him a fruity mix?
Ah, I should have said I only introduced Henry to fruity mix about 6 months before he died. He had his problem bottom from day one of having him 2 years ago.

Its best to keep bunnies on a 80% hay diet, then the other 20% made up with a small amount of pellets (science selective or excel)
I couldn’t get him to eat the hay, really I couldn’t.
a050.gif
He’d nibble occasionally but avoided it most the time.
a050.gif
We tried putting it in his bowls but he’d shift it out of the way, he could empty a food bowl and leave only hay.
k015.gif
But I figured that fresh grass was near enough the same thing and he’d eat that so I made sure he always had that.
a015.gif

& he used to have two food bowls, one with Excel pellets and one with a rabbit mix from the market. In hind sight maybe I should have spoiled him less with the mix, he knew how to make me give it to him though, sometimes he’d take all the mix and just leave the pellets and I tried waiting him out wanting him to eat it but he’d usually win and I’d add in some more mix.
a100.gif
I preferred him to eat something than nothing. If I get another bunny or two, the left over mix and Bunny Brunch will be given more sparingly over time. :)

and then veg. also... buns cant have any fruit that has a stone in it :?
I’d usually flick out apple pips if they were visable but leave to odd one occasionally. He’d manage to avoid eating them anyway. Is that because they cause blockages?
a040.gif
There were the occasional odd looking thing like big pips or seeds in his mix actually, he’d avoid them but I figured if they are meant as food then a little apple pip can’t be harmful.
p070.gif

I saw u mentioned plums. Its best to stick to green veg, cabbage, spring greens, cauli leaves etc :)
Yeah I figured they liked the green stuff better. He didn’t get many plums and it was only in plum season anyway, i.e. he never ate one before his death because they weren’t ready.
e025.gif
& I’d only give one at a time cos I imagined the acids inside of it could cause havic with his ****** poo problem.
105.gif
In fact, Henry only had a few in his lifetime, it was the rabbit before him that had them by the bowl full.
risa-mano.gif
Thank goodness he didn’t die of gastric problems.
p100.gif
BTW, just out of curiosity, has anyone had a rabbit that leaks blood from it’s bottom?
p105.gif
Bunny (that was the name of the rabbit before Henry) leaked blood on and off for years.
087.gif
It scared me a lot seeing the amount of blood he lost sometimes.
087.gif
When he moved from a place he’d been sitting at for a long while he’d leave a puddle of it.
087.gif
I used to watch when he peed because I think it came from his pee hole rather than his poo hole, his pee was often very red and bloody looking.
087.gif
There were two times when he got seriously ill and looked awful but both times he pulled through. His official owners (the next-door neighbours) took him to the vets twice with it, (if I hadn’t have reported it to them they’d never have noticed when he was ill as they never checked on him
c055.gif
), the vets didn’t give an explanation as to what the problem was, he got medication twice but it had no effect (sorry, can’t remember the name of the medication). Like I say, it went on for years, on normal days there’d either be nothing or reddy pee and maybe a few splats of blood about, sometimes there was nothing at all, but other times there’d be blood all over and it was scary.
087.gif
I expected him to die from that, the dog got to him first though.
087.gif
BTW, he was happy in himself, very active even when he’d move away leaving a huge pool of blood.
105.gif

Hope this helps. Glad youve found the forum, you'll learn lots here :)xXx
I wish I’d thought of joining a rabbit forum when I actually had a rabbit.
e045.gif

BTW – Morrisons got back to me today about my enquiry about is their Value cat litter made from clay.
a035.gif
The answer: - it’s magnesium tricilicate clay that will clump. Also it has an anti bacterial agent in it and yep, it’s defo not good for it to be digested.
e025.gif
I’ve just been thinking more about what Morrisons said was in the cat litter.
hmn.gif
If there’s an anti-bacterial agent in it won’t that have changed the bacteria inside Henry’s gut?
a040.gif
Do you think the anti-bacterial agent may have made Henry’s insides go haywire rather than the clay blocking his insides?
a015.gif

hi again sue:wave:.sorry i have actually lost 4 in 3 years.elvie (large agouti lop)was 9yrs young but sadly i was advised to let her be pts due to re-occurant dental probs(regret that decision to this day,she was not ready to give up and wish i had ignored the vets advice-have to point out it was not the same vets that i use these days).bam(black rex) was only 3 and he suddenly went downhill,he would not have survived the night so sadly again had to let him go.there was an obvious mass in his abdomen.dudley(agouti conti giant)he was 2 yrs old,became ill,thought he was going to get better then went to pick him up from the vets and frances told me he had taken a turn for the worse,again he was so close to dying that i held him in my arms whilst we helped him to go.he had an enlarged heart any many other internal problems.lola was 2,she suddenly stopped eating,fought to get her better.noone could explain what was wrong so frances decided that she would have to operate,then we lost her whilst she was recovering from the anaesthetic.pm revealed something hard to detect called YERSINIA.
the heart break with everyone has been unbearable,but i could not imagine not sharing my life with a bunny.now i have 3 gorgeous cheeky hobgobblins,bob(marten seal rex)he's 2,moo(mini biege lop)she is 6 and nobby(fawn mini lop)think he is around 2 as he is a rescue bun.they are all house buns and absolutely beautifull.hope you're ok.x

btw sue,you planning on having another bun at some point?:love:i can't live without them.even my 6ft 3 oil rigger husband crawls around the floor with them,trying to get a bunny kiss:lol: good job he doesn't come on here,he likes to keep that quiet:mrgreen:

9 years old is well old, I’d say Elvie certainly had a good long run and death can’t have been far off anyway.
a050.gif
It’s a shame that the others died so young though.
a020.gif
Cr*p bad luck for them.
c053.gif
I was wondering what makes rabbits faulty health-wise, do you reckon a lot of the ones that have things wrong with them are accidents and in-bred ones?
c028.gif
I wonder if Henry was faulty due to being inbred.
a050.gif
I got him from a rescue centre and the girl there said that he was born at the rescue centre.

I dunno if I’m getting a new rabbit/s.
a015.gif
I feel there’s a big hole without a little life for company, I know what you mean about not being able to live without a bunny. I’ve spent the last hour looking into ginuea pigs online though as I’ve been thinking of getting a couple of them but have zero experience with them. I got my mum and her boyfriend to go on a bunny crawl on Saturday and we went all over the place looking for bunnies. At that time I was wanting 2 small baby lops or dwarf lops. There’s a litter of lop cross ones at the rescue centre I got Henry from which look nice although I’m concerned at how big they’ll get as their mum looks bigger than Henry was. My main worry is that the room I’m going to put bunnies or guinea pigs in is too dark, small and boring for them so I’m apprehensive about whether I’m being cruel or not.
087.gif
That’s one reason why I’m considering guinea pigs thinking that with them being smaller they’ll find the room bigger. Plus Im worried about if I get a couple of the baby bunnies at the rescue centre will they grow massive and jump the pen walls causing injury because I really don’t want that. & also Henry was a pain in the *rse with how fury he was and how much he malted, I can’t decide whether the bunnies I’m interested in will end up that malty. I’m sick of fur everywhere.
k015.gif
After looking into guinea pigs a bit I’ve got a feeling that they’ll be peeing all over. One thing that I liked about Henry was that the pen was clean, I’d go in and sit on the floor which was covered in paper and leave not covered in sawdust and hay. I think you’re supposed to put wood shavings down everywhere for guinea pigs and lots of hay so I don’t fancy sitting in amongst that. Can guinea pigs not just have newspaper and designate one area of the pen to have hay on?
f025.gif
I’m real indecisive and really don’t know what to get.
c055.gif
The room looks so dark at times, I just don’t want to make any life miserable or kill something else because I’ve put the wrong thing in its environment or done something wrong.
f010.gif
I told the girl at the rescue centre that I’d pop back tonight to look at the bunnies again, she’s got heaps of guinea pigs so I’ll ask her about those too but I’m really confused, I’ve had brain over-load.
p100.gif

Last edited:
Back