• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why are the RSPCA so annoying :-(

Emma02

New Kit
I have recently lost my 2 buns who were originally adopted from the RSPCA, now I have decided that it is right to adopt another pair and I'm strating to pull my hair out :evil:

One branch we approached said our accomodation was good it's the trixie natura delux hutch which we have modified to give them access to the roof space and attached another run to extend the floor space to plus when we are home they have the run of the garden as well but they didn't describe their buns quite as we expected and what was described as friendly but a little nervous turned out to be an extremly timid bun who would run off and hide and couldn't be handled and his friend wasn't much better. To another branch today having what we hope would be the buns we are looking for but demanding 12 sq feet hutch space plus 36 sq feet run space and until we take pics and measurements (as they aren't sure we measure up) won't even consider a home visit, they have over 50 rabbits waiting for homes!

This is just so stressful, I want and can provide a good home for a pair of unwanted buns but this is getting to much now, why does each branch have different expectations and demands, am seriously considering not bothering anymore and just selling the hutch and everything :cry:

I can understand that tbh, too many rabbits go to too small huttches. The RWAF minimum is a six by two hutch with an attached eight by four run. Rabbits need lots of space for exercise, those powerful back leg muscles need to be used.

Sadly rabbits often go back to the original rescue so it's better to get it right the first time. :) many will actually homecheck to see the accomodation in the flesh.

Because each Branch is independently run so they each make their own choices on what they think is best for their bunnies. At the end of the day, that's all they are doing. If you also want what is best for the bunnies then you're all on the same page whether you perceive them as annoying or not.

Maybe have a read of this. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?262335

I know it's only in the buns interest, but I have been home checked previously with the hutch and set up I have now but it's never enough for one centre or another, or it's good but they haven't got a bonded pair and don't have the space to bond 2 together. It's just so frustrating.

I do hear why you're frustrated but, sitting on the otherside of the fence, I can tell you it is equally frustrating from this side too.

I guess you either decide to suck it up and just persevere, or go somewhere else.

Whereabouts are you located?

I can understand your frustration but our main concern is getting it right for the buns to ensure they have the best possible chance from now on. Your accommodation is ok in comparison to a lot we see but it is understandable they want to make sure you are meeting the correct standards. Even though there are guidelines on minimum size - this is still 'minimum' and the amount of people who say to us we have a 'large' hutch and then on inspection are found to have a 3ft one is surprisingly common.

Each branch has its own way of doing things so usually will like to do its own home visit.

With regards the 'misguided description' - this is not entirely false since you are a stranger going to meet them and more than likely they will be wary. A big frustration of mine is people wanting to adopt an animal and wanting it to be friendly and cuddly from the offset. This takes time and trust and they need to get to know you as much as you them so in time they will be friendly but you need to be prepared to put the effort in to achieve this rather than expect it straight away. So many animals are not given the chance as they don't 'show' themselves to the best straight away.

It sounds like you have a good home to give and if you can understand they are trying to do the best for the animals with the policies rather than doing it to tick you off then hopefully you will get there eventually. The fact that they have over 50 buns yet are not prepared to just let them go anywhere is a good thing in my book.

I can understand your frustration but our main concern is getting it right for the buns to ensure they have the best possible chance from now on. Your accommodation is ok in comparison to a lot we see but it is understandable they want to make sure you are meeting the correct standards. Even though there are guidelines on minimum size - this is still 'minimum' and the amount of people who say to us we have a 'large' hutch and then on inspection are found to have a 3ft one is surprisingly common.

Each branch has its own way of doing things so usually will like to do its own home visit.

With regards the 'misguided description' - this is not entirely false since you are a stranger going to meet them and more than likely they will be wary. A big frustration of mine is people wanting to adopt an animal and wanting it to be friendly and cuddly from the offset. This takes time and trust and they need to get to know you as much as you them so in time they will be friendly but you need to be prepared to put the effort in to achieve this rather than expect it straight away. So many animals are not given the chance as they don't 'show' themselves to the best straight away.

It sounds like you have a good home to give and if you can understand they are trying to do the best for the animals with the policies rather than doing it to tick you off then hopefully you will get there eventually. The fact that they have over 50 buns yet are not prepared to just let them go anywhere is a good thing in my book.

:love::thumb:

It's nice to see another RSPCA face on the forum :)

[With regards the 'misguided description' - this is not entirely false since you are a stranger going to meet them and more than likely they will be wary. A big frustration of mine is people wanting to adopt an animal and wanting it to be friendly and cuddly from the offset. This takes time and trust and they need to get to know you as much as you them so in time they will be friendly but you need to be prepared to put the effort in to achieve this rather than expect it straight away. So many animals are not given the chance as they don't 'show' themselves to the best straight away.

This is so true, I don't think you can expect miracles straight away from any bun in rescue, just like humans take time to trust someone more so the same can be true of animals, especially since most are in rescue because of some form of human abandonment. One of ours was extermely shy and withdrawn when we adopted, he was hiding when we went to see him at rescue and he only came out when nobody was there we were told, we just accepted that's the way he was, given time they all come round and change to cheeky bossy know much better than their human parent bunnies.

I fully respect homechecks and even though at the moment Sweep's house isn't as big as I'd like it to be I'm always looking to improve this. We recently passed a rescue homecheck because the lady knows the bun we want to adopt very well and knows whether she would fit into the home we had on offer for her. She also knew that I am always looking to expand so the space they are in now isn't permanent and will be bigger soon.

I think a decent homechecker will take more than the space offered into account - obviously this is important and must be of a certain size and well sheltered/secure, but quality of diet offered, willingness to enrich the bunnys life via toys/forage/natural behaviours, understanding of vaccines/illnesses, interaction you are going to give the bunnies and other factors like supervised free ranging to let them really stretch their legs etc are equally as important.

I would also take this opportunity to look at ways to improve your set-up :thumb: Not that it is bad currently as it seems you have a lot of space on offer, but the way I see it is you can always improve on what you have in some way or another :D

If you can't expand at the moment, try to look for smaller, less active bunnies who don't necesarily need as much space as bigger more active buns. The rescue should know the buns quite well so really grill them about the temperaments of the bunnies they have there - it's their job to know (the RSPCA staff get paid for doing this, rather than most home run rescues who do it voluntarily!).

Good luck, and all I can say is I hope you realise that the rescues do this for a very valid reason as they want to make sure that the next home is the last home. I hope you can understand this and don't go to a less reputable rescue or breeder/pet-shop for your buns. And I'm saying this not as a rescue at all - from an adopter!

I just wanted to clarify the misguided description thing. I haven't been to visit these buns yet I spoke to the foster who's had them 7 months and this is what she told me. I know it takes time to trust and the buns are going to take time but I also know that although I have had buns in the past I don't have the experience or knowledge to help ones as timid as they are.

I also know that each branch has different requiorements it would just be easier if everyone could agree on a minimum size for hutch and run. I have no problem with a further home visit to ensure everyone gets it right. It's just very frustrating when one branch home checked and was very happy but now another one isn't sure.

I just wanted to clarify the misguided description thing. I haven't been to visit these buns yet I spoke to the foster who's had them 7 months and this is what she told me. I know it takes time to trust and the buns are going to take time but I also know that although I have had buns in the past I don't have the experience or knowledge to help ones as timid as they are.

I also know that each branch has different requiorements it would just be easier if everyone could agree on a minimum size for hutch and run. I have no problem with a further home visit to ensure everyone gets it right. It's just very frustrating when one branch home checked and was very happy but now another one isn't sure.

The 'RSPCA' are all different - they are NOT a group company as much as the name suggests, whilst i know thats confusing and often frustrating, that is the way it is.

The RSPCA have some big things happening this year, perhaps a global 'Minimum/Recommended Hutch/Run Size' will be one of them.

Also, remember, the RWA's recommendations have changed in the last 12 months, so perhaps the RSPCA branch have updated their requirements also?

As a one time volunteer dog walker for my local RSPCA centre then I can honestly say that not all branches have such consideration for their rescues as those on here do.
What i would like to ask is how many of those 50 rabbits will still be alive in the future if not homed ?
Yes i totally agree that homes should be checked and accomodation suitable etc but policy should be the same for each branch not depending on what 1 manager or other views as ideal.
A memory which will last my lifetime is hearing a fellow dog walker in tears after seeing the staff enjoying their morning tea while laughing at the fate of a frozen dead guinea pig after an employee failed to put the overnight heat on for them.
I'm not trying to get at anyone here who works with RSPCA I'm aware some genuine caring people do a very good job

Last edited:

They are trying to do just that, but currently, people have different wants and priorities for their rabbits. Our Branch is the animals welfare once in the home, so we have very high standards (50sqft of permanent access size wise), others are just focused on 'shifting numbers' :)(), Others don't have the knowledge to know they need a bigger size.

If you want to complain the maybe contact the RSPCA themselves and let them know of your thoughts (by that, I mean their Head Office).

As a one time volunteer dog walker for my local RSPCA centre then I can honestly say that not all branches have such consideration for their rescues as those on here do.
What i would like to ask is how many of those 50 rabbits will still be alive in the future if not homed ?
Yes i totally agree that homes should be checked and accomodation suitable etc but policy should be the same for each branch not depending on what 1 manager or other views as ideal.
A memory which will last my lifetime is hearing a fellow dog walker in tears after seeing the staff enjoying their morning tea while laughing at the fate of a frozen dead guinea pig after an employee failed to put the overnight heat on for them.
I'm not trying to get at anyone here who works with RSPCA I'm aware some genuine caring people do a very good job

No excuse for that, that's disgusting.

In our RSPCA Branch though, with regards to the 50 rabbits still alive if not homed, the answer would be all those that should be. We only PTS animals where their welfare is compromised and they will/are suffer/ing, and on the advice of a vet. We don't PTS long term stayers, old bunnies, bunnies with behavioural issues, bunnies with an issue that can be fixed, etc. We currently have several in our centre who will be going out with health warnings or behaviour warnings or bonding warnings and we will be working with the families who adopt them to ensure that all are happy, but especially that our rabbits are happy.

I and people I know have had bother with RSPCA, I wouldnt go to them for anything now. A friend wanted to see kittens she went with her family to choose one and was told she had to pay before she could view! eventually after much hassle they left without a cat.

I went last year to get a boy for our girl rabbit but told them I couldnt take one for 2 weeks due to our girl being spayed, I was told they couldnt show me cos they were short staffed, and as I couldnt take one there and then there was no point, they couldnt save one, even though I knew from the website which 2 I was interested in, and it would take a good week to sort out a home check, they couldnt even give me any information on the ones I was interested in. I was furious with their attitude and vowed never ever to use them again. The staff were all sat about doing nothing but claimed to not have 'been up there' to the rabbit section for ages so had no idea what they had, even though the pictures of the rabbits were on the reception wall !!

That was the Bradford branch. Now before everyone jumps on me I know all branches are different but for me and a friend to have such negative preliminory meetings means we cant be the only ones.

AND both the rabbits I wanted to enguire about are still there 4 months later.

I now only used independant rescues, they seem more clued up, more open and just better

It was years ago but I did go back there to look at dogs for my mum who had lost hers and was witness to a German Shepherd being kicked and i mean Kicked into a kennel with the kind of language from the lad doing it that was extremely choice-at time there was no one else viewing and no one to complain to he would have easily denied it.
I saw 2 week old kittens separated by a barrier from the mum because the person homing mum couldn't wait so they were drying her milk up -which meant they had to hand rear and no end of distress for the queen.
Then through my work in my Vet surgery I dealt direct with them -they refused help with wildlife which was bought to us -in one instance an injured deer -and refused to help a severely injured cat at the local tip -yet wanted us to help them every time they had a problem
I know not everyone is bad but there does seem to be a factor there that is just plain wrong

I have recently lost my 2 buns who were originally adopted from the RSPCA, now I have decided that it is right to adopt another pair and I'm strating to pull my hair out :evil:

One branch we approached said our accomodation was good it's the trixie natura delux hutch which we have modified to give them access to the roof space and attached another run to extend the floor space to plus when we are home they have the run of the garden as well but they didn't describe their buns quite as we expected and what was described as friendly but a little nervous turned out to be an extremly timid bun who would run off and hide and couldn't be handled and his friend wasn't much better. To another branch today having what we hope would be the buns we are looking for but demanding 12 sq feet hutch space plus 36 sq feet run space and until we take pics and measurements (as they aren't sure we measure up) won't even consider a home visit, they have over 50 rabbits waiting for homes!

This is just so stressful, I want and can provide a good home for a pair of unwanted buns but this is getting to much now, why does each branch have different expectations and demands, am seriously considering not bothering anymore and just selling the hutch and everything :cry:

Sorry you are having an hard time :cry: I can't understand why your accomodation was suitable before for the RSPCA but isn't now???

Please don't give up.....maybe if your local RSPCA have upped their conditions then maybe approach an independant rescue.....many of them re-home all over the country anyway.

There are min requirements but many independant rescues are just as full, in fact some take RSPCA buns too! If I was you I would take a step back....look at what they are actually saying and if in YOUR own mind you don't meet their requirements then contact a few independants. There are lots on here so maybe put up a post saying you would like to rescue....describe & measure your hutch, run and mention your free ranging facility and how many hours this would be available and let the rescues come to you.

Big hugs......please stick with it as in the long term you would be helping 2 bunsters. Remain focussed & don't let others distract you from your goal. Just look at it as opinions & not everyone has the same one. :wave:

Any rescue has to set it's own criteria for housing, and they have to check before they can reserve an animal. They can't really reserve an animal, possibly to the exclusion of people that have been homechecked already, without first establishing whether the adopter was actually suitable and most centres suggest that you are homechecked before you actually look. I wouldn't personally mind if I lost out on a rabbit that I'd had my eye on, it would mean it had found a home and I'd be happy for it and choose another. It's the same philosophy as looking at houses when you've not sold your own, you do it at your own risk of setting your heart on something you might not be able to have.

Our RSPCA branch, much as I have issues with them, did a very thorough homecheck. They even asked me if I could call our cat in so they could see him and check he was well looked after. He performed beautifully of course, coming straight back over the fence and running up to me purring.

You can't tar everyone with the same brush! Within every industry be it animal or human there will always be the wrong people involved. I have worked 10 years as a vet nurse prior to rescue and witnessed some very disrespectful behaviour towards animals by people professing to care. This doesn't mean I no longer use vets I am just extremely picky in the people I choose to trust and allow to deal with my animals in that profession.

The RSPCA gets a bad rap due to the misconception we are all as one. We are totally independant of one another and as such shouldn't be grouped in to a whole from one or 2 bad experiences. If I was informed of an animal being badly treated whilst in our care I would make it my personal goal to ensure that person does not get the chance to repeat the experience.

As an independantly run branch we have extremely high standards. We are small and have to raise the funds entirely ourselves so what we can do is limited and controlled but done entirely with the best interests of the animal at the heart of what we do. It is really depressing to put all the effort and care in to what we do and to hear people dismiss us as uncaring because we are 'RSPCA'!

Take each as they come is what I say rather than damage the reputation of an organisation from one experience.

Back