• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why are my bunnies all bonding themselves

hmmm interesting, don't think I'd say any of my buns are submissive, Dipsy especially is not for the faint hearted, and I'd say top bun, because the others all seem to treat him with respect, except Pippa :lol: It's weird actually because I've had really bad problems with Dipsy, absolutely horrendous aggression, and yet with Pippa, even though at times she is really mean to him, and if he is eating something that she wants, she will literally take it out of his mouth, or nip his legs because that makes him drop it then.

Pippa is best described as a 'loony tunes' bun, and very bossy. When Dipsy gets fed up with her, they don't ever have a fall out, but he does wait for her to go to sleep, and then buries her under the hay :lol::lol:

Buster, Paddington and Scooter, are just really loving, gentle bunnies, all got their own quirky ways, and all 3 have masses of personality, but submissive just doesn't seem the right word for them.

Maybe it's something to do with me not being involved, because I'd never planned on bonding any of them anyway. All I do is camp out in their rooms for a couple of nights, just to make sure they are ok through the night, because that is one thing I don't do, because there just seems to be no point to it, and that is I don't separate them again. Couldn't bear to have their sad little faces haunting me :roll:

Hmm well that's my thoughts gone :p aside from you not being there.

Loving Dipsy's way of dealing with Pippa when she has been a pain :lol:

I think keeping unbonded rabbits side by side can cause problems. Any rabbit that is territorial will be aggressive to another rabbit at the edge of their territory and will remember them as an enemy when you introduce them

Wouldn't necessarily agree with that - firstly, all buns are different. And what works for one pair - won't always work across the board. We had Bobo and Harley living side by side for a while before bonding - and the bonding was a breeze - they were practically already bonded when we put them together. Sheldon and Holly were are another 'outside the box' bond - we let them free range together and they wandered in and out of each others hutches quite happily - only issue with their bond was that Sheldon was intent on being boss and there was a lot of humping - a car ride together sorted that one out.

However - I think bonded pairs living next to each other where they can see each other could be a problem - ours certainly are...but again, every situation is different and one thing I've learnt - bunnies don't listen to human rules and tend to do their own thing when given the chance :roll:

I've just had a similar thing happen..
Humphrey (almost 3 year old male, neutered), jumped the separating divide in the shed he shares with Rose (about 3 1/2 months, not 100% sure, unneutered as yet). No fur and scatter fed with no problems, but have only seems requests to groom no actually grooming.
Any advice? :lol:

Back