• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Who's Advice do you Trust the Most?

If you need advice about your rabbit(s) who's advice on RU do you trust the most?

• Vets/vet nurses/those with relevant qualifications

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Those that you think are most experienced

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Those that you think are most knowledgeable

• Those that you know personally/have met

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Those who's advice makes the most sense to you

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other - please explain

• Total voters
I voted 'those who I have personally met' although actually it's also a combination of those who have the most experience/most knowledgeable as well. For 'most experience/knowledgeable' above, your poll rightly says those that you think are the most experienced etc...but by personally meeting them you can verify for yourself whether they actually do have the experience, knowledge - and integrity - which anyone can claim to carry on an internet forum but actually the reality when you meet them can be very different. So it's not necessarily everyone I have met, only those who I have personally met and who I have seen practice what they preach.

Having said that, there are lots of people who have experience of lots of things who I haven't met - and I would listen to their advice over the advice of others who 'think' something or have read something in a book. For instance anyone can read about hepatic coccidiosis in a book but I have had personal experience of it and know a lot about exactly how it can manifest, why PMs aren't that reliable etc and I would like to think that people would listen to me about it even if they haven't met me! And I would listen to Janice's advice on bonding even though I have never seen her bond (I have met her though). But then on the flip side, I also know plenty of people who have experience but whose advice I wouldn't trust (e.g. the "I've kept rabbits with guinea pigs in a 4ft hutch for 20 years and I've never had a problem" or "I've never had my rabbits vaccinated" type) which is why it's nice to match the experience to having met someone and understood that we are on the same welfare wavelength :)

For me here, without question that would be Lou, for the same reasons that she said about me :D :wave: Don't you just love a mutual love-in :love:

Last edited:
I am talking about medical advice btw for bonding/behavioral advice I think people on here with the most experience would be better placed that my vet, and he would agree totally.

Hmmm in that case I think I would want advice from someone who has experienced the thing I am wanting advice from. But would still trust my vet over a forum member in most cases

I'm the other way round! After the whole fiasco with Cloud's myxi, I wonder if my old vet knew his :censored: from his elbow. Since changing vet, I haven't actually had to go for anything other than vaccs so I haven't worked out if I like them or not yet. :oops:

I'd always ask for advice on here before going to the vet now (but of course will follow whatever advice the vet gives me - I just find it useful to go with extra information).

I chose people with experience, although it depends on which vet we are talking about... Certain people on here seem to know more about bunny medicine than most vets I have seen... And my vets have been open to suggestions fortunately! :)

I would like to think that people with lots of experience caring for rabbits is a good source fo advice. I would say that having experience as well as knowledge about the physiology/anatomy of the bunnies would be the best.

It's the same in real life, there are some nurses/doctors i wouldn't trust with my bonsai tree never mind my boys.

My vet practice works on a go thorugh the list job, so we end up with a different vet every time. I have taken a shine to one of the vets who shows compassion towards my boys where as the others not so much.

xxx

Jacks Jane, prettylupin and thumps have all given me excellent advice on the forum on one occassion saving one of my rabbits from invasive and un-necessary surgery whick my then un-rabbit savy vet was suggesting. I've since found a better vet and I'd take his advice if offered as he gave everything suggested by above forum members without me having to press for it like I had to at my old vets.

I'd also suggest people that who run rescues will have loads of experience in dealing with things that many of us haven't but might have to one day (neglected/pregnant rabbits for example) so I'd happily take their advice too.

There are also members here who have experience in things such as treating diseases which they've had to go through with their rabbit and I'd say their advice is probably well worth hearing as well. There are also plenty of folk able to offer advice on housing, rabbit proofing, predator proofing and general welfare.

Basically I'd listen to anyone willing to offer advice though would probably not use one source.

For RU I trust the vets, vet nurses and people who have experience and knowledge, but if I am worried about any of my pets they go straight to the vets as nobody on RU can actually see the pet and so they are depending on me to describe everything correctly and I might miss something.

For behaviour, housing advice, diet I think RU has some really helpful people who can provide the advice.

For researching into conditions RU members have a wealth of knowledge.

RU can also be great for offering support when you have a sick pet or are worried

I think knowledge and experience is shared amongst the many members of RU.

For me it would have to be people who have in my opinion the most experience (e.g. our vet Ivan who sees more rabbits each week than most see in a lifetime). Also people who have have and correctly cared for bunnies, be it rescuers of individuals. Length of time doesn't equal experience to my mind having homechecked a woman who has had rabbits for 30 years - and who failed, it proves that unless the person is prepared to learn continually and update their knowledge, experience can mean nothing. I know some people who have had only one pair of rabbits for a short time but who know more about their care and well being than some rescuers for example.

So it has to be people that have some hands on experience that comes with a good amount of knowledge.

Hope that makes sense

What about?

Dietry needs..... or medical advice? There are so many people that I would think would be best for different info....

Tricky. :? I know there are a few people on here who probably know more about rabbits than Spenser's vet, but when I take him to her what she says seems to make sense - and she is the only person to have physically examined him. I voted 'other'.

I would go with my vet first and then advice from experienced people on here as they can add invaluable help too.

Well I know my rabbits more than anyone else does so I'd trust myself with them first, but if I didn't know something I would rather come on a forum with a range of experienced people and the odd vet and get advice than go to a single vet that's not particularly rabbit savvy.

Very difficult to answer. I think it depends on what the issue is. I have in the past and still phone the rescue centre I have got the bunnies from as they have had many many bunnies for years and have loads of experience. I have found their advise excellent. If it is a health issue and I have concerns it is straight to the vets.

Have found experienced rabbit owners do know more generally about rabbit care, rather than a vet. When my male chinchilla needed neutering my vets had no idea how to do it or about their care. Everything I learnt was through a chinchilla expert who referred me to another vet. What I am trying to say is, it is those who hands on day to day personal knowledge seem best for advise.

Knowledge from experience! if that is a vet then great but in my experience it's people on here that have kept many rabbits over many years or who run rescues and those who have knowledge on specific topics because they've had or have a bunny with a specific problem!!

Back