• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which type of run should I go for? Wooden or metal?

Which run to buy?

• The Metal One

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • The Wooden One

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Other (please specify!)

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
I've had the same folding wooden runs for years now. They don't look too pretty anymore, but still function fine. :? I think it's worth investing in one that's of a suitable height for bunnies though - was always fun when I had bunnies, when they decided to leap out of the run when the roof came off, and play chase with me round the garden! :roll: :lol:

I chose metal-not that particular metal run. I use ones like the trixie ones, which are great, i can leave the bunnys out in them all day in my yard and they are easy to move. My walls are high so they are safe, i haven't had any problems with foxes, and the local cats don't care about my bunnys as they are really too big. The wooden runs leave marks on the grass but are more secure- i wouldn't trust the quality of cumfy pets though- my hutch fell to pieces in a year. Although it does look pretty and this brand is spacious.

...and a bunny got it's head through those gaps, blimey ? Were they tiny baby bunnies ? I know that mine couldn't even get a nose through that. Maybe the gaps are wider than they look on the picture, that's why I was wondering the distance between the struts.

She was a nethie but Vikki's rex did the same thing, and one of Spider's bunnies did it recently. All 3 were startled and ran full speed into the side and got their head wedged :(:(

I will measure the spaces later today :wave:

BTW, for the OP, you can get Trixie ones in varying sizes, so the smaller ones might have smaller bars (I'm trying to think guinea pig, which is hard for me cos I've never had one :lol:)

I use a metal run...well, 2 puppy pens attached. I hadn't even though about them getting their heads wedged...the gaps are only about an inch :?
They never go outside unattended...but you have me worried now. I might attached mesh to the panels just to be sure.
I chose metal puppy pens as they can be changed to any shape and I use them inside if there is something non bun friendly or to keep them out of somewhere.

To give you all a laugh, we had one custom made and asked for it to be 3 ft high to accomodate Giants that like to periscope. They made it with a top lid that opened, which we didn't know until it was here. Well I know I am 5ft 9 but I dont have a 36 inch inside leg:shock:. How on earth did they expect anyone to get their leg over to get in and put the rabbits in and out baffled me:roll: Rang them up and they said, "Cant you just drop them in" errrrr NO and even if you did how on earth were you supposed to get them back out:roll:

The spaces on the zooplus ones are an inch and a half.

It was only because they ran at it so fast that their heads got wedged :(

To give you all a laugh, we had one custom made and asked for it to be 3 ft high to accomodate Giants that like to periscope. They made it with a top lid that opened, which we didn't know until it was here. Well I know I am 5ft 9 but I dont have a 36 inch inside leg:shock:. How on earth did they expect anyone to get their leg over to get in and put the rabbits in and out baffled me:roll: Rang them up and they said, "Cant you just drop them in" errrrr NO and even if you did how on earth were you supposed to get them back out:roll:

I did that too, made my own 3 ft high run and realised I couldn't get in. I climbed in and out using a patio chair for over a year before I got round to adding a side door :lol:

We do have a few cats around here. I'm doing all I can to cat-proof the garden - so far have meshed a gap they were using at the bottom of the garden so they can't use our garden as a through-route and we will soon be replacing some fence panels (not our fence - next door's!) where the cats come through - we have screening up but there's a gap underneath where the panels are missing. I'm also going to buy a sonic thing that I can switch off when the animals are out in the garden but will put them off the garden otherwise.

However; there's always a possibility of one of them finding it's way in or the rabbits jumping out if there's no solid fixed roof on the run so I wouldn't use those 'netted' roof ones as I do want a secure run and I don't think the netting provides any real safety nor would I trust it to keep Jack safely inside as he's a jumper and can be very determined. :p

Though I will be in and will keep an eye on them when they are in use I can't guarantee being out there with them 24/7.

So for me those circular (hexagonal / octagonal I suppose lol) ones just aren't safe enough - I want something bigger too as I feel a rectangle gives much more usable space. But *thank you* so much for the pics and input! :D

I may ask the HH people for a side door as 30" may be a bit high for stepping into too.....

The advantage of the panel ones is you can buy two and make a bigger run, obviously then you have to find some way of doing a lid if yours is a jumper. My lot arn't very interested in jumping apart from Mini who only does it if she smells food. :roll:

i'd recommend a fold up wooden one one that is strong enough, you can then store it away when not in use, i used to use the playpen, but hated the netting top, and could never get it to fit :oops: :lol:

For that 7 ft happy hutch folding run - I bought two flatish one-piece wrought iron handles and attached them on the top inside horizontal wood (I'll try to get an image if you are interested in doing this, as I tried a few ideas to find one that worked) . This means that I can stand inside the run, pick it up by both handles, one for each hand, and walk to move the run easily. It is surprisingly heavy and I found it quite hard to move as there is nothing to hold when it is folded.

For that 7 ft happy hutch folding run - I bought two flatish one-piece wrought iron handles and attached them on the top inside horizontal wood (I'll try to get an image if you are interested in doing this, as I tried a few ideas to find one that worked) . This means that I can stand inside the run, pick it up by both handles, one for each hand, and walk to move the run easily. It is surprisingly heavy and I found it quite hard to move as there is nothing to hold when it is folded.

Yes I think I know what you mean - I did this when we made a mesh lid for my gerbil tank lol. I bought some handles from Wilkinsons for it - sounds like a very good idea! I'd love to see some pics of your run if that would be possible?

Back