• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

which RU member has the biggest bonded group?

Hi, Well I started off with a pair that I put together without even thinking they'd fight. I just presumed all rabbits got along fine :shock: Luckily enough they did.
When I want to add to the group I put the new bunny into my indoor cage or dog crate and place it into the rabbits sleeping quarters (which is a shed).
I let them smell each other and see each other all the time. I leave the new bunny in the cage with them all the time. At this point they would be having separate free ranging time.
After about a week of seeing, smelling and being able to get close to each other I let the new one out and there is usually a chase and a small bit of fur pulling but after the order has been established things tend to tick along nicely as the rabbits are used to each other already.
This method has worked several times for me but I have always had the buns neutered first before attempting to add them to the group. It also allows me to have more rabbits without having to be overcrowded with hutches as they are split between two sheds at the moment for overnight but they free range the garden all day as a group of 14.
Hope this helps. :D

This is what I'd hoped to do with Hobbes and Indy, there isnt really anywhere in our flat do do a neutral space except bedrooms and they are too small, no floor space at all.

Wow, that pic of all the bunnies in the garden on that thread link is soo awesome!:love:

I only have a pair..hopefully soon Pj & Lilah will bond with Sox though!!:lol:

oooh this is so exciting! I love all the pics of all the buns together...and enjoy hearing how different people have bonded big groups too!

Thanks for sharing...really great to see!:love::love::love:

Wow! :D I love hearing about success stories. I hope to one day have a big group, maybe about 8.

I have an 8 atm

2.jpg

groupof8-1.jpg

when they were a 6 all flopped :love:
IMG_9190.jpg

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

My bunnies have wrecked my garden. That other lawn looks lovely! How come those bunnies haven't dug it up and shredded everything lol x

This is what I'd hoped to do with Hobbes and Indy, there isnt really anywhere in our flat do do a neutral space except bedrooms and they are too small, no floor space at all.

What about in the bath;) That's where we bonded my 4:)

I'd love a massive bunny group one day. Love the pictures!:love:

Does anybody know whether its easier to bond larger groups of rabbits rather than a pair?

At the moment I have a 5 and a trio, but hoping to get the 8 together one day :)

Does anybody know whether its easier to bond larger groups of rabbits rather than a pair?

Personally I have found pairs much, much easier than bigger groups, but at the end of the day it all depends on the rabbits concerned :)

I have a group of 8 and a pair

the group of 8 started as 2 sisters, then there was an accident, and 4 babies came along to make 6. the aunt loved the babies from day 1, so I never separated them

then 2 more girls were brought into the house, who were keen to join with the other 6. initially there was some chasing and fur pulling, but I managed to convince the 2 aggressive ones that the new arrivals should be treated with respect

so now all 8 live together, although, I have to admit there is still some chasing and fur pulling from time to time...

no matter how cute it looks, my recommendation is never set out to have a bonded group, stick to two bunnies, a neutered male and female. firstly the bunnies will be so much happier as a pair, they can give each other 100% of their time and affection, secondly you can give them 100% of your time and love...having 10 means I can never spend as much time with each individual as they deserve, and heaven forbid if they ever fell out and had to be separated - nightmare !

I have a group of 8 and a pair

the group of 8 started as 2 sisters, then there was an accident, and 4 babies came along to make 6. the aunt loved the babies from day 1, so I never separated them

then 2 more girls were brought into the house, who were keen to join with the other 6. initially there was some chasing and fur pulling, but I managed to convince the 2 aggressive ones that the new arrivals should be treated with respect

so now all 8 live together, although, I have to admit there is still some chasing and fur pulling from time to time...

no matter how cute it looks, my recommendation is never set out to have a bonded group, stick to two bunnies, a neutered male and female. firstly the bunnies will be so much happier as a pair, they can give each other 100% of their time and affection, secondly you can give them 100% of your time and love...having 10 means I can never spend as much time with each individual as they deserve, and heaven forbid if they ever fell out and had to be separated - nightmare !

Sorry but the bit I have bolded I find quite a loaded comment, big groups of rabbits can be perfectly happy together just like a pair. So long as the rabbits personalities are matched and they are all bonded correctly there is no reason for a group to behave any different from a pair IMO
After the initial bond I don't have any chasing or fur pulling from my group of 5, in fact most of the time they are in one big pile all together because they get on and enjoy each others company ;)

From my own experience it is easier to bond pairs than a quad. The larger the group, the longer time limit you also need to leave between the next stage.

Sorry but the bit I have bolded I find quite a loaded comment, big groups of rabbits can be perfectly happy together just like a pair

What benefit would a rabbit get from being bonded in a group bigger than just the two of them ? Is it for their benefit or for the benefit of the owner ?

Don't get me wrong, my 8 love each other, and are frequently all stacked up on top of each other snoring away, but every once in a while there is a squabble and a chase

In the wild this is normal behaviour, the establishment and reinforcement of the social heirarchy. My bonded couple never have this issue, there is no need to reinforce the heirarchy as there is only 2 of them

My fear is how many people will try to bond more than two, fail and end up giving the left overs to a rescue ? Or more worryingly, the bond seems to take, but the underdog is continually bullied by the more dominant one(s)

Within my group there are some bunnies that are closer to others and others that have a particular friends but none get bullied as such

Back